Hendon Hooker pt. 2

The Original Fade

Hooker had a better QBR, more yards per completion, higher completion %, more TDs, and fewer INTs than Matt Corral, yet Corral was a Heisman candidate for 3/4ths of the year?

Hooker was the 2nd best QB in the SEC this year behind Bryce Young, which might not even be a fair comparison given the receiving talent Young is surrounded with compared to Hooker.

Praying he comes back, but can’t blame him if he jumps. Thoughts?

Hooker had a better QBR, more yards per completion, higher completion %, more TDs, and fewer INTs than Matt Corral, yet Corral was a Heisman candidate for 3/4ths of the year?

Hooker was the 2nd best QB in the SEC this year behind Bryce Young, which might not even be a fair comparison given the receiving talent Young is surrounded with compared to Hooker.

Oh man, I’d love for him to come back, but he’s played one hell of a season and If he plays lights out in the bowl game, his draft stock may never be higher. I think he should take the money while he can. As we all know too well, anything can happen at any time, so grab your oppurtunities when they are there.

Matt C. was a candidate for both rushing and passing. I actually think Hooker was a better QB and a better NFL prospect than Matt Corral and number 2 behind Young. What is interesting is how good Hooker was under pressure versus Young. I do think next year he is a Heisman prospect if he comes back. He wasn't on anyone's radar this year.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Well, this sure is a good sign! Guess I’ll have to take back my earlier post. There goes my “expert” status, lol

Senior Bowl Director Comments on Vols’ QB Hendon Hooker’s Future

Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) Tweeted:
Sounds like Hooker is heading back to Tennessee next year to build off his breakout 2021 season. At least that’s what our people in Knoxville told us this week. Would be a smart move by Hooker. He was one of most improved prospects we watched this fall. Ascending player.

Young has great protection and great receivers - Hooker plays under a great system and also has some great receivers. I think he would benefit by coming back -
he makes great decisions and understands the quarterback position, has the instincts needed to play the position.
Two amazing decisions he made against Vanderbilt cemented in my mind why he is a great quarterback. Neither were completions or electrifying runs.

One he threw into the ground, the other her drew back and was sacked.
In both instances - Vanderbilt was just jumping the routes out into the flat on quick screens. Almost no quarterbacks out there would have read that and avoided an interception or hanging their receivers out to get killed.
We are blessed to have him as our quarterback.

The difference in a second or third round draft selection vs. a 6 th or 7 th round selection is huge and for that reason he needs to come back. He needs another year in this system.

I have been extremely impressed with Hooker this year. I wouldn’t blame him at all for going pro. I mean we are losing Jones, Payton and possibly Tillman. That’s basically our entire receiving offense. If that happens, those guys are gonna be hard to replace. So if Hooker decides to come back, would he have the weapons around him to vastly improve on this year? Certainly doesn’t seem like it. But then again, I didn’t expect these WRs to do what they did under Heupel so who knows?

Having said all of that if you just really sit back and watch Hooker play, he simply isn’t NFL ready. And if I am being honest, he may never be. And if he never goes to the NFL, there is nothing wrong with that. However, if he comes back and get his stats improved, say 3200-3700 passing yards 30+ TDs while keeping his efficiency at that level, I could see an NFL team drafting him. But think about something else. Look at his age. Will NFL look at a guy being like 24 or 25 coming out of college?

I think Hooker returns next year and he continues his progression into being a top flight QB in the country.

Well, this sure is a good sign! Guess I’ll have to take back my earlier post. There goes my “expert” status, lol

Senior Bowl Director Comments on Vols’ QB Hendon Hooker’s Future

Jim Nagy (@JimNagy_SB) Tweeted:
Sounds like Hooker is heading back to Tennessee next year to build off his breakout 2021 season. At least that’s what our people in Knoxville told us this week. Would be a smart move by Hooker. He was one of most improved prospects we watched this fall. Ascending player.

He would be smart to stay…..late round pick to possible UDFA at this point. With a repeat performance and brushing up on small details, could be late 1st to 2nd rounder

Reactions: lenoxvol
I have been extremely impressed with Hooker this year. I wouldn’t blame him at all for going pro. I mean we are losing Jones, Payton and possibly Tillman. That’s basically our entire receiving offense. If that happens, those guys are gonna be hard to replace. So if Hooker decides to come back, would he have the weapons around him to vastly improve on this year? Certainly doesn’t seem like it. But then again, I didn’t expect these WRs to do what they did under Heupel so who knows?

Having said all of that if you just really sit back and watch Hooker play, he simply isn’t NFL ready. And if I am being honest, he may never be. And if he never goes to the NFL, there is nothing wrong with that. However, if he comes back and get his stats improved, say 3200-3700 passing yards 30+ TDs while keeping his efficiency at that level, I could see an NFL team drafting him. But think about something else. Look at his age. Will NFL look at a guy being like 24 or 25 coming out of college?

I think Hooker returns next year and he continues his progression into being a top flight QB in the country.
He would more than likely get drafted this year. Mid-late, but he would. If Dobbs can Hooker absolutely can because Hooker is already a better passer than Dobbs was his senior year.

He would more than likely get drafted this year. Mid-late, but he would. If Dobbs can Hooker absolutely can because Hooker is already a better passer than Dobbs was his senior year.

I just don’t see it. I mean he might. I guess it would depend on his combine performance. And this is a pretty weak QB class.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
I just don’t see it. I mean he might. I guess it would depend on his combine performance. And this is a pretty weak QB class.
The thing he does that translates to any level? He doesn't throw picks. He really should have 2 ints because one was on Payton breaking the wrong way on a timing route.
Edit: I do think the wise decision is to come back. Pickett was less of a prospect and now is a day 1 guy. I think Hooker is a draft qb but not sold on a starting qb in the league.

Hendon needs to come back to continue this streak:

11 games in a row with a touchdown pass.

He is tied at 4th-best in Vols history with that ongoing streak. Who is he tied with? Just Peyton Manning and Eric Ainge.

Who is he chasing? Just Casey Clausen (12...Hendon can catch him in the bowl game), Tony Robinson (13...Hendon can tie him next September against Ball State), and Heath Shuler at 18. Hendon can catch up to Heath next TSIO against Bama.

Come on back, Hendon, still plenty to do! Including, if I were king for a day, putting you in for Heisman Watch from the very first week.

Go Vols!

Tennessee Volunteers football statistical leaders - Wikipedia

Oh man, I’d love for him to come back, but he’s played one hell of a season and If he plays lights out in the bowl game, his draft stock may never be higher. I think he should take the money while he can. As we all know too well, anything can happen at any time, so grab your oppurtunities when they are there.
Not much $$$ in Rounds 5 and later.

Reactions: lenoxvol
Young has great protection and great receivers - Hooker plays under a great system and also has some great receivers. I think he would benefit by coming back -
he makes great decisions and understands the quarterback position, has the instincts needed to play the position.
Two amazing decisions he made against Vanderbilt cemented in my mind why he is a great quarterback. Neither were completions or electrifying runs.

One he threw into the ground, the other her drew back and was sacked.
In both instances - Vanderbilt was just jumping the routes out into the flat on quick screens. Almost no quarterbacks out there would have read that and avoided an interception or hanging their receivers out to get killed.
We are blessed to have him as our quarterback.

The difference in a second or third round draft selection vs. a 6 th or 7 th round selection is huge and for that reason he needs to come back. He needs another year in this system.

I agree on his decision making; I don't think he gets credit for some of it. I've seen him make throws the announcers called misses, where it's been my opinion that Hooker rightly threw it away because the coverage was just too tight.

Matt C. was a candidate for both rushing and passing. I actually think Hooker was a better QB and a better NFL prospect than Matt Corral and number 2 behind Young. What is interesting is how good Hooker was under pressure versus Young. I do think next year he is a Heisman prospect if he comes back. He wasn't on anyone's radar this year.

Corral nor Young faced the pressure that Hooker faced. You have to look at his sacks and its incredible that he had the success that he's had. He's been sucked more than Corral and Young combined.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
He can really only make his stock go higher.

He doesn't have a lot of buzz right now, but think about the buzz he will have if he comes back?

We get off to a good start and he is a Heisman candidate and that means his draft stock will be higher.

There is concern about his age, but I don't know, QB's are playing much longer these days. Makes me feel like teams aren't as worried about that.

Hooker will be looking at potentially $500k+ NIL and a university driven Heisman campaign. The Heisman campaign will attract some big-time NIL offers.

He would be an all-time Vol favorite and gain legendary status if he returns, he doesn't even have to play better, just equal to what he has already consistently delivered.

Guess he needs to see his draft grade...
UT is losing some key WR and OL.
What would the team look like next year.
Don't forget HH will be 24 around draft time. 25 if he waits until next year.
It's kind of strike while the iron is hot vs who knows what will happen next year.
G/L with whatever he decides

Hooker will be looking at potentially $500k+ NIL and a university driven Heisman campaign. The Heisman campaign will attract some big-time NIL offers.

He would be an all-time Vol favorite and gain legendary status if he returns, he doesn't even have to play better, just equal to what he has already consistently delivered.
How are you figuring $500K NIL. What type of money are others making?
I guess he could do car dealership commercials, restaurants

VN Store

Back