Hendon Hooker Leads Nation in Critical Stat

I don't want this to sound bad. You can go back months and even to spring and find that I've always liked him personally and as a player. I believe he's a talented guy... but I think you will see a string of "gifted talents" benefit from Heupel's system and more importantly Heupel's leadership. Hooker was average to above average for VT. No one anywhere that I'm aware of predicted he would be as good as he's been.

Conversely, you can make a case that if Hooker had been VT's quarterback this season, they wouldn't have lost 3- 5 games that they lost and their coach wouldn't have been fired. I will agree that the system frees up receivers, but this stat is mostly about reaction and results under pressure. That is something that can't be taught or coached. He has been remarkable under pressure and that is playing against the best competition in America. He is as good under pressure as our last qb was bad under duress.

Do not agree. The knock against Hooker in the draft will be he played in a simplified offense and was not required to make complicated reads. He needs another year to continue to develop his skills and to run a more developed offense. Hooker’s biggest asset right now is a guy named Heupel who will make him the top QB in next year’s draft.

Heupel can easily develop the next QB to a level similar to Hooker next year. He has done it before. Replacement does not concern me.

Heupel's biggest asset right now is a guy named Hooker who makes him look like a brilliant offensive mind and coach - they both have equally and mutually benefitted - hopefully we will see more of it after this year.
If you think it doesn't matter who is playing qb - let me refer you to Joe "Overthrow" or the guy on the bench at Washington State - great quarterback play will always be critical to having a successful offense.

For some reason my gut feels like he will return for one more season. He's had a great year for sure, I just feel like his draft stocks would shoot up tremendously if he could add on to the success he has had this year and do it again next year.

Can you imagine the Butch Jones Era without Dobbs to bail him out?
Jones' era would have ended in 2015...

Reactions: VolinWayne
I don't know what his current draft grade is, but with the NIL deals he could potentially be in line to receive, I'd say the financial compensation could be comparable. If he comes back next season he could potentially be in the conversation for the Heisman and break all of Tennessee's single season passing records. I'll go out on a limb and say if He returns, UT will be playing in a New Year's six bowl.

I don't know what his current draft grade is, but with the NIL deals he could potentially be in line to receive, I'd say the financial compensation could be comparable. If he comes back next season he could potentially be in the conversation for the Heisman and break all of Tennessee's single season passing records. I'll go out on a limb and say if He returns, UT will be playing in a New Year's six bowl.

I like how you are thinking!

Reactions: VolDaddy61
He has certainly had plenty of opportunities to perform well under pressure. If he says hopefully he wont have to do that as often next season.

Do not agree. The knock against Hooker in the draft will be he played in a simplified offense and was not required to make complicated reads. He needs another year to continue to develop his skills and to run a more developed offense. Hooker’s biggest asset right now is a guy named Heupel who will make him the top QB in next year’s draft.

Heupel can easily develop the next QB to a level similar to Hooker next year. He has done it before. Replacement does not concern me.

He may very well be able to make more in an NIL deal than on an NFL practice squad next year.

What do you not agree with. I think I stated "big if" meaning he likely will not leave. Replacement does not bother me either, but it would be nice to not have to go through "training" a guy in live play ever year.

What do you not agree with. I think I stated "big if" meaning he likely will not leave. Replacement does not bother me either, but it would be nice to not have to go through "training" a guy in live play ever year.
Do not want him to go but I stated the reason why he should not do so. I do not agree with the replacement theory you suggested. Hooker was an average QB at VaTech and Heupel polished him up and will do so with the next average QB we start next year.

If Hooker were to stay next year he has a chance to become one of the top QB’s in next year’s draft. That would be a whole different paycheck in the future.

Reactions: savannahfan
Other most critical stat:

Mr. Hooker is tied for #1 most liked QB at UT since Peyton Manning by Vol Nation

Reactions: perico

VN Store

Back