Help Understanding College Baseball

NEO

Eat at Joe's
I have never followed college baseball. I followed the MLB but am not a huge fan but I am a huge Vols fan. Can someone here explain how college baseball works in the aspect of making it to the College WS. The formula seems confusing to me.

How are teams selected to the super regionals?

Basically, I know nothing and was hoping someone could explain it.

Thanks.

Reactions: VolPack22
I have never followed college baseball. I followed the MLB but am not a huge fan but I am a huge Vols fan. Can someone here explain how college baseball works in the aspect of making it to the College WS. The formula seems confusing to me.

Thanks.

Ok, so here's how the tournament works, you begin with 64 teams:

1. In the regional round, those teams are broken up into 16 x 4-team regional rounds. There is a one seed (16 national seeds), 2, 3, and 4 seeds in each region. Those 4 teams play in a double elimination tournament until one team emerges. Starts with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. Winners of those games move to the winners bracket and losers move to the losers bracket. Everyone plays until they have 2 losses, last team standing moves on.

2. In the super regional round, you now have 16 total teams, divided into two teams in each super region. If the top seeds held from the regionals (which they often don't), then this would be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc. This is simply a best of 3 series, first team to win 2 games is on to Omaha for the CWS, so 8 teams go on there. This is where we are now.

3. CWS: there are now 8 teams remaining, broken up into 2 brackets. This round is played essentially the same as #1 above, 4 team in each group, double elimination setup. Our group will be us, Florida State, Virginia, UNC. 1 team survives from each group, so 2 teams total.

4. CWS championship series: this is just a best 2 of 3 for the 2 remaining teams to determine the title.

Hope this helps! I really enjoy the organization of the tournament and that you're not booted with one loss at any point.

Thanks.

Sure….so you play the regular season. Then you play the SEC tournament, we were regular season champs, won the SEC tournament.

Then it goes to a selection committee, to pick the teams, seed , essentially making brackets like basketball. We were the #1 overall seed. Lots of factors in that, Conference Champs, RPI, SOS, automatic bids, etc…

After that it’s similar to basketball, we played Evansville based on seeding, we won so we move on, like the elite 8.

Hope that helps.

GBO!!!

Thanks.

How are teams selected for the NCAA Division I baseball tournament?​

Since 1954, the NCAA Division I baseball tournament field has been split into two qualifying groups: The automatic berths, and the at-large selections. Since 2014, that split sees 30 conference champions receive automatic berths, and 34 teams receive at-large bids, decided by the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee.

As part of that selection process, 16 teams receive national seeds, and are offered the option of hosting a super regional if they advance to the second round.

How the committee decides seeds isn't defined but they rely on published rankings and RPI which is similar to the FPI/BPI rankings used in football/basketball in seeding.

Last edited:

1. In the regional round, those teams are broken up into 16 x 4-team regional rounds. There is a one seed (16 national seeds), 2, 3, and 4 seeds in each region. Those 4 teams play in a double elimination tournament until one team emerges. Starts with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. Winners of those games move to the winners bracket and losers move to the losers bracket. Everyone plays until they have 2 losses, last team standing moves on.

2. In the super regional round, you now have 16 total teams, divided into two teams in each super region. If the top seeds held from the regionals (which they often don't), then this would be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc. This is simply a best of 3 series, first team to win 2 games is on to Omaha for the CWS, so 8 teams go on there. This is where we are now.

3. CWS: there are now 8 teams remaining, broken up into 2 brackets. This round is played essentially the same as #1 above, 4 team in each group, double elimination setup. Our group will be us, Florida State, Virginia, UNC. 1 team survives from each group, so 2 teams total.

4. CWS championship series: this is just a best 2 of 3 for the 2 remaining teams to determine the title.

Hope this helps! I really enjoy the organization of the tournament and that you're not booted with one loss at any point.

Have to admit the prior two answers were a whole lot easier to understand 😂

Thank you.

I guess I could have googled it but was on here and thought someone would know. Thanks again!!!

How are teams selected for the NCAA Division I baseball tournament?​

Since 1954, the NCAA Division I baseball tournament field has been split into two qualifying groups: The automatic berths, and the at-large selections. Since 2014, that split sees 30 conference champions receive automatic berths, and 34 teams receive at-large bids, decided by the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee.

As part of that selection process, 16 teams receive national seeds, and are offered the option of hosting a super regional if they advance to the second round.

How the committee decides seeds isn't defined but they rely on published rankings and RPI which is similar to the FPI/BPI rankings used in football/baseball in seeding.

Et tu, Willis??

Now explain the crazy rules that determine who is the home team.

Now explain the crazy rules that determine who is the home team.
Here’s the bullet points:

• The better-seeded team will be the home team during the first game each team plays in the tournament.
  • If both teams that were the road team (or home team) in their first game face each other in their first winners bracket/losers bracket game, a tournament director or umpire will flip a coin with both teams present to determine who is the home team as soon as the matchup is finalized.
The rest of the “who’s home” rules are in full below, in order of priority.

1. The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times in that particular tournament.

2. If the two teams are equal in this respect but unequal in the number of times they were the visitor, then the team that has been the visitor more often will be designated the home team.

3. If the two teams are equal in the number of times that they have been home and visitor, the games committee or the NCAA game representative shall observe the following procedures in the order stated:

a. If the two teams have met previously in that particular tournament, the visitor in the previous game shall be the home team in the game in question

(Exception: If two teams are left where both teams have been the home team twice, the fifth game will be determined by a coin flip);

b. The team that was visitor in its preceding game shall be the home team, unless both teams were visitors in their preceding games; or

c. If the above procedures do not resolve the matter, the home team shall be determined by coin flip. The higher seeded team can determine whether they will call the coin toss, or defer the call to their opponent.

Baseball tourney is a much better setup than March Madness.

I love March Madness because it is crazy, but that’s just it, it is just crazy. Not a good way to determine a champion after a long season.

In baseball you don’t get screwed for one bad game, or one player’s unconscious shooting. Or a nun. Or a phantom foul.

Good on you for taking the time to post this instead of just being a smart ass.

One caveat as far as selecting the teams.

According to Rule 5.32B: if you are a bubble team, you are not allowed to make the NCAA Tournament unless you have representation on the selection committee. Overall record and conference record are not part of the criteria.

It's kind of mind-blowing to realize that even when you get to the CWS, you're only 50% of the way home...

One caveat as far as selecting the teams.

According to Rule 5.32B: if you are a bubble team, you are not allowed to make the NCAA Tournament unless you have representation on the selection committee. Overall record and conference record are not part of the criteria.

or you're in the SEC

Reactions: MAD and VolPack22

VN Store

Back