Help the old guy... 17 on our current roster????

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
Have I missed something? Are we going thru a yield process for the walkons? Can we keep them on the roster and not dress them all? Just doing my pre-season roster review and saw the really long list.

THANXXXX

Have I missed something? Are we going thru a yield process for the walkons? Can we keep them on the roster and not dress them all? Just doing my pre-season roster review and saw the really long list.

THANXXXX

It’s very confusing. The scholarship limit is back to 13. Last year super seniors didn’t count against the scholarship limit. TN currently has 12 on scholarship for 2022-23 and there are 5 listed on the current roster that aren’t on scholarship for a total of 17. I’m not sure, but I think that 15 can dress out (at least for the home team) and I don’t think that there is a limit on how many walk-ons can be on the roster.

It’s very confusing. The scholarship limit is back to 13. Last year super seniors didn’t count against the scholarship limit. TN currently has 12 on scholarship for 2022-23 and there are 5 listed on the current roster that aren’t on scholarship for a total of 17. I’m not sure, but I think that 15 can dress out (at least for the home team) and I don’t think that there is a limit on how many walk-ons can be on the roster.

Was kind of hoping one of them might be a situational player with a great handle to help with press or pressure breaking, one of the few areas I felt we have been at risk for a few years. Press breaking free throw shooter. Might never take a meaningful shot. Too many cross court high risk passes it SEEMS to me could be avoided. Looking forward to Coach reading this board and thanking me for sharing this brilliance.

Reactions: i2amavol
I thought 10 was the limit but I am not an authority.If we recruit well that should give us 4 deep at every position. How can we not be top 10 every year?

I thought we could recruit 25 each year not to exceed 85 in a 4 yr period. That rule needs to be changed. Should be able to recruit 100 with 10 preferred walk one’s.

Here is a take on my own question from an internet search.

Best Answer

There is no limit on the number of players on a team. The NCAA limits scholarships to 13, and 15 total can suit up for a game. Kentucky had 20 players on the team in Billy G's last year. Obviously five of those did not make the trip for away games or suit up for home games.

But this does not address use of facilities and training table, etc.

So in the day of NIL I guess you could entice as many as you want. Just can't dress or play them. Might go after some talented guys to cheer from the second row while they heal. Seems a bit loose. Will continue to look for some hard answers.

Here is a take on my own question from an internet search.

Best Answer

There is no limit on the number of players on a team. The NCAA limits scholarships to 13, and 15 total can suit up for a game. Kentucky had 20 players on the team in Billy G's last year. Obviously five of those did not make the trip for away games or suit up for home games.

But this does not address use of facilities and training table, etc.

So in the day of NIL I guess you could entice as many as you want. Just can't dress or play them. Might go after some talented guys to cheer from the second row while they heal. Seems a bit loose. Will continue to look for some hard answers.

It would be cool for JV teams to return. They faded away after freshmen became eligible again in 1973. TN had a lot of double headers in Stokely. The most famous was when Pistol Pete was an ineligible freshman and had to play JV in his first season. That game was just before my time, but I’ve heard that it was quite an event.

It would be cool for JV teams to return. They faded away after freshmen became eligible again in 1973. TN had a lot of double headers in Stokely. The most famous was when Pistol Pete was an ineligible freshman and had to play JV in his first season. That game was just before my time, but I’ve heard that it was quite an event.

I was there..... sitting dead center of the Orange Tie Section.... Not sure what season we got those seats, but it was before Stokely was Stokely, it was half of Stokely with some bleachers on the far side for the student section as I remember.... All part of my overly blessed snotty nose VOL kid upbringing.

I was there..... sitting dead center of the Orange Tie Section.... Not sure what season we got those seats, but it was before Stokely was Stokely, it was half of Stokely with some bleachers on the far side for the student section as I remember.... All part of my overly blessed snotty nose VOL kid upbringing.

edited to add.... don't have a clue how this response to the post above also became a free standing post.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol

I was at that game. There was a lot of fanfare about him before the game. I usually didn't go to the freshman games, but I read the papers about him beforehand, and went to see him, and it didn't disappoint. Long, lanky, floppy socks and hair. Looked like a muppet running down the floor. Deceptively fast. Shot the lights out. Passing game was spectacular. Played absolutely no defense, but it didn't matter. He was just light years ahead of everyone else on the floor.

I was at that game. There was a lot of fanfare about him before the game. I usually didn't go to the freshman games, but I read the papers about him beforehand, and went to see him, and it didn't disappoint. Long, lanky, floppy socks and hair. Looked like a muppet running down the floor. Deceptively fast. Shot the lights out. Passing game was spectacular. Played absolutely no defense, but it didn't matter. He was just light years ahead of everyone else on the floor.
that is the way i remember it
we usually made it to stokely after dad's ritual stop at cafeteria near campus, name of which i cant remembeer

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

Cannot remember the reason for my study, but I am pretty sure you will find that his four lowest scoring games at LSU were vs UT when Billy Hahn did a great job taking him out of his normal game. Still like a 20 point average. I think he played at least one year with my fellow Bearden alum Wayne Tipton.

In yet another addition of my VOL small world saga, Billy and his wife lived next door to my sister and her husband in the old Golf Range apartments off Sutherland. He would only wear his Converse All Stars a couple of games before getting new ones and he gave her a couple of pair to share with her kid brother. The ball handling skills did not transfer, and they did not help me overcome my 4 inch vertical, but my cool factor went way up.

Cannot remember the reason for my study, but I am pretty sure you will find that his four lowest scoring games at LSU were vs UT when Billy Hahn did a great job taking him out of his normal game. Still like a 20 point average. I think he played at least one year with my fellow Bearden alum Wayne Tipton.

In yet another addition of my VOL small world saga, Billy and his wife lived next door to my sister and her husband in the old Golf Range apartments off Sutherland. He would only wear his Converse All Stars a couple of games before getting new ones and he gave her a couple of pair to share with her kid brother. The ball handling skills did not transfer, and they did not help me overcome my 4 inch vertical, but my cool factor went way up.

Wayne Tipton was a senior during Pistol Pete’s JV season.

Wayne Tipton College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Reactions: ArdentVol

My recollection about Hahn is the same. Somehow, he was Maravich's most potent defender. I think the pistol averaged about 50 points per game, so when Billy held him to 20 it was a big deal.

Last edited:
JV or Freshman? I show Pete’s SO year as Wayne’s Last year, 66-67 I think for the overlap. Pretty sure I saw Pete bounce a no-look pass off Wayne’s head right under the goal. Will Ck again.

Edited to add

Oh well, you were right guess I just remembered Wayne from previous year and somebody else bounced off him.

Yep. Pete was a freshman (and not eligible) during Tipton’s senior year in 1966-67. Then Pete was playing varsity as a sophomore in 1967-68 after Tipton had used up his eligibility. But no doubt they would have been on the practice floor together for a year. I had no idea that Wayne Tipton played for LSU. It looks like Kent Hollenbeck graduated from Bearden in 1968 so he didn’t overlap with Tipton. That would have been quite the back court for the Bulldogs.

Yep. Pete was a freshman (and not eligible) during Tipton’s senior year in 1966-67. Then Pete was playing varsity as a sophomore in 1967-68 after Tipton had used up his eligibility. But no doubt they would have been on the practice floor together for a year. I had no idea that Wayne Tipton played for LSU. It looks like Kent Hollenbeck graduated from Bearden in 1968 so he didn’t overlap with Tipton. That would have been quite the back court for the Bulldogs.

Watched them both being a class of 69' guy. Wayne was a year ahead of my sister, and Kent was a year ahead of me so we attended some games I tell ya. Two incredible shooters for forwards in that timeframe. Ballers more than athletes. The funny thing about Kent was he was not all that fired up about playing at West Hills Elem. (I was at Bearden all 12) and some of my friends kind of forced him into it. If he ever showed an emotion on the court I did not see it. He could not understand what the bid deal was when he hit a high percentage and REPORTEDLY once said, "if I did not think it was going in I would not have shot it". Kent lived with Coach Beeler his senior year after his Dad was transferred to VIrginia Beach. Went to KY and broke both ankles his first two years if my ever failing memory (as evidenced by this very thread) is correct. But I had lost some interest when he migrated North.

In yet another installment of SMALL WORLD, Kent beat out Terry Russel of Fulton for State Honors. Terry did go to UT, had a short career there, and ended up finishing his college ball at NAIA at the time Belmont, which was where I headed out of HS. He missed a year and ended up in my class and we became apartment mates for our last year of school and first year after. I extended my high percentage attendance numbers at Belmont, but often with my first Walkman radio in my pocket listening to the VOLS and then returning to my living quarters to watch those old late night replays on TV. Life was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Watched them both being a class of 69' guy. Wayne was a year ahead of my sister, and Kent was a year ahead of me so we attended some games I tell ya. Two incredible shooters for forwards in that timeframe. Ballers more than athletes. The funny thing about Kent was he was not all that fired up about playing at West Hills Elem. (I was at Bearden all 12) and some of my friends kind of forced him into it. If he ever showed an emotion on the court I did not see it. He could not understand what the bid deal was when he hit a high percentage and REPORTEDLY once said, "if I did not think it was going in I would not have shot it". Kent lived with Coach Beeler his senior year after his Dad was transferred to VIrginia Beach. Went to KY and broke both ankles his first two years if my ever failing memory (as evidenced by this very thread) is correct. But I had lost some interest when he migrated North.

In yet another installment of SMALL WORLD, Kent beat out Terry Russel of Fulton for State Honors. Terry did go to UT, had a short career there, and ended up finishing his college ball at NAIA at the time Belmont, which was where I headed out of HS. He missed a year and ended up in my class and we became apartment mates for our last year of school and first year after. I extended my high percentage attendance numbers at Belmont, but often with my first Walkman radio in my pocket listening to the VOLS and then returning to my living quarters to watch those old late night replays on TV. Life was good.

That was probably a transistor radio rather than a Walkman. Sony Walkman radios came out around 1980.

Very little video from Saturday Night at Stokely (or whatever it was called) survived. Video tape was expensive and was recorded over. This is a good video though.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Showing my age, but I was at this game! Loved the Ernie, Bernie show in 1975!

Gus Manning was a wonderful person. Helped me get in the game, as I left my tickets at home 200 miles away!

Reactions: Sudden Impact
That was probably a transistor radio rather than a Walkman. Sony Walkman radios came out around 1980.

Very little video from Saturday Night at Stokely (or whatever it was called) survived. Video tape was expensive and was recorded over. This is a good video though.

Yeah, the Walkmans came later and I used them to listen to WLAC radio with Bob Bell and Bill King, especially during recruiting season from Guntersville, AL. Digital rather than analog tuning was a blessing. Though at times I did have to drive to the highest location in nearby Grant to stay informed. Sometimes the car radio was better. I still have the original one though it died years ago. I expedited it's demise with a trip into the toilet. Bought a back and then had to go to the ultra high tech versions with cassette players. Just looked them up and they were released July, 1979.

Bernard and Ernie were a pleasure to watch. I was at that game.

VN Store

Back