Help Please...Marvin West was my favorite Tennessee sports writer...

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
It’s my understanding that Marvin passed away in 2013. Who is the “Marvin West” who is currently writing the columns? His son? He does a pretty good job as well.

It’s my understanding that Marvin passed away in 2013. Who is the “Marvin West” who is currently writing the columns? His son? He does a pretty good job as well.

Thanks folks for confirming he’s still with us!

I was looking up information on Mr. West and here is what I read that was posted on twitter from Mike Strange.......It shocked me because I’d been reading his articles as recent as last week....

9:36 AM · Apr 29, 2013 · Twitter for iPhone

From Mike Strange on Twitter..
“Sad news Knoxville. Marvin West, a great sportswriter for a lot of years at the News Sentinel, has died.”

Even Mike Hamilton shared his condolences: ...”Sad indeed.@Strangemike44: Sad news in Knoxville. Marvin West, a great sportswriter for a lot of years at the News Sentinel, has died.”

I knew Marvin was good, but didn’t realize he could send us articles from the other side...🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: supersmo18
Marvin West is still writing. You can email him directly at marvinwest75@gmail.com to reach out or to comment on his work. He is the last of the big 3 (Siler, Bailes, West).

I was fortunate enough to have had 3 Journalism courses with Marvin West at UT. Out of that class came eventually the Sports Editors for the Sentinel (West) and the old Knoxville Journal (Tom Sweeten). He wrote a book on UT sports players and stories...get a copy and read it as it one of the best ever on UT Sports.

I messaged him last year, and got a couple of replies from him. If he died in 2013? The internet is farther reaching than I thought.

Thanks folks for confirming he’s still with us!

I was looking up information on Mr. West and here is what I read that was posted on twitter from Mike Strange.......It shocked me because I’d been reading his articles as recent as last week....

9:36 AM · Apr 29, 2013 · Twitter for iPhone

From Mike Strange on Twitter..
“Sad news Knoxville. Marvin West, a great sportswriter for a lot of years at the News Sentinel, has died.”

Even Mike Hamilton shared his condolences: ...”Sad indeed.@Strangemike44: Sad news in Knoxville. Marvin West, a great sportswriter for a lot of years at the News Sentinel, has died.”

I knew Marvin was good, but didn’t realize he could send us articles from the other side...🙄
Obviously the two Mike’s didn't do their homework when they saw this back in 2013.

View MARVIN WEST's Obituary and express your condolences

VN Store

Back