Help me understand Coach Josh Heupel...

But he passed the test when it counted. In every major campaign in which they took part, North Africa, Sicily, France, the Bulge, and the push into Germany his armies not only met their assigned tasks but significantly overperformed. Many „brighter“ generals would have loved to say the same.
No doubt.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Any offense with the right players and executed properly will work.
True but our offense now looks like the offense of the top teams in the country. We no longer have a paint dry offense not saying it will deliver results that we want but we now have the foundation in place to be successful.

True but our offense now looks like the offense of the top teams in the country. We no longer have a paint dry offense not saying it will deliver results that we want but we now have the foundation in place to be successful.

The foundation is athletes that can execute and coaches that can put them in the right situation. All of that is YTBD.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
He’s a rally the players by strapping on a helmet guy, like the late great Teddy Roosevelt, running up the hill with nothing but a sword, bullets flying by.

His offense is deep rooted in attacking and winning each and every battle to become victorious in the war, I’d compare him to Ghengis Khan

His defenses are legendary, doing more with less is the name of the guy. Want an example? Look no further than the mighty Spartans at Thermopylae.
That was Eleanor actually..

The foundation is athletes that can execute and coaches that can put them in the right situation. All of that is YTBD.
Agree but you have to have a style of offense that can score a lot of points and certain offenses do not do that. Alabama proved that by changing there offense they have always had the talent to run whatever offense they wanted but Saban knew they had to change the style to cont. to stay competitive when it come to play championship caliber teams. You now have to be balanced and aggressive and also able to score a lot of points good or bad a old school offense that chews up yards and clock is not going to win championships in the end.

Agree but you have to have a style of offense that can score a lot of points and certain offenses do not do that. Alabama proved that by changing there offense they have always had the talent to run whatever offense they wanted but Saban knew they had to change the style to cont. to stay competitive when it come to play championship caliber teams. You now have to be balanced and aggressive and also able to score a lot of points good or bad a old school offense that chews up yards and clock is not going to win championships in the end.

If you can control the clock, score and have a good defense you can win. Saban changed his offense because of availability of athletes. There are very few kids coming out of HS these days that have been taught how to be QBs and read defenses. The spread offense is designed to take advantage of football illiterate athletes. That doesn’t mean making the change is wrong because you have to work with the tools you have.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I didn't see this name mentioned but it was the first the name to come to my mind and that is David Shaw from Standard... Kind of a soft spoken guy but very smart and intelligent. Comes across very down to earth and family oriented. Developer of offensive talent and QB. (In different ways) but in terms of demeanor that's who I see.

Another guy I think may be an even better comparison is Matt Rhule from Baylor/Temple and now at Carolina Panthers.

Reactions: volinthenorth
Good grief, some of y’all are miserable
Thats the truth”no wonder other fan bases talk about the Vols fan base and the way they act...truth is no one on this board has no idea how CJH is going to do Or what is going to happen until it does”some people I swear!!!!

In 2020, UCF QBs recorded 415 pass attempts, UCF RBs, QBs, & WRs recorded 441 rushes. However, they are recorded allowing 22 sacks. Therefore, 419 rushes, 415 passes thrown, and 22 sacks. If you count the sacks as passing plays (which you probably should), that’s 437 passing plays to 419 rushes. Out of those 856 plays, that makes passing plays 51.05% of the 2020 Heupel offense, hardly the “They never run it” that you implied. That’s hella balanced

357 > 210

357 > 210

Yes, the number on the left is bigger. What’s your point? That average passing yards per game is higher than average rushing yards per game? Okay? It should be, unless either A) you’re running a triple option offense or B) You’re housing every run play. Since that’s not the case, we have determined that they only pass 51% of the time and gain more yards doing so than the 49% of the time. Your original hypothesis that Heupel disregards the run to heavily favor the pass has been debunked, but keep digging.

Glad you’re posting on here, it’s a day off for someone, isn’t it?

Any offense with the right players and executed properly will work.
I'm disagreeing with you too often lately. Sorry about that.

For a number of reasons what the Vols did in the 90's doesn't work now. Rule changes have given more advantages to the O. Player development has changed the possibilities. Even the changes in HS football have changed college football.

A few years back Saban tried to get a rule change that would slow O's down and allow more defensive subs. When that failed, he went over to the other side. His O's have exploded. In 2009, Bama averaged 32 ppg. Last year in a conference only schedule they scored 48.5 ppg. In 2009, his D allowed 11.7 ppg. Last year, they allowed 19.4 ppg.

Saban did what Fulmer wouldn't or maybe even couldn't do. He evolved and recognized that today's game is led by the offenses and scoring lots of points.

Reactions: butchna
357 > 210
You'd be better off just admitting you were wrong.

Ole Miss led the SEC in rushing last year at 210 ypg. They avg'd 345 ypg passing.

A really good rushing O in P-5 football will average around 5 ypc. A really bad passing O will average about twice that yardage per play.

Last edited:
He is like Denzel Washington in Glory as he climbed to the top of the hill and planted the flag while getting shot. Nothing would stop him.

Except he isn't getting shot at.

Or is African American.

Or in the Army.

But other than that he's like him.

Reactions: Jravol78
He is like Denzel Washington in Glory as he climbed to the top of the hill and planted the flag while getting shot. Nothing would stop him.

Or is African American.

Or in the Army.

Or roughly 190 years old 😁

Reactions: NEO

Or is African American.

Or in the Army.

Like looking in a mirror!

Reactions: NEO
How close to greatness is UCF’s spread-iso offense?

Apparently he runs the Art Briles/Veer and Shoot offense

UCF's chances vs LSU were dealt a severe blow when McKenzie Milton went down at USF. He was a Heisman contender and a magic man, giving the team supreme confidence, and without him, I was surprised UCF managed to keep things close with the Tigers. Backup QB, while courageous, didn't possess the same vision and poise, often looked confused. LSU took advantage.

If UT finds the QB who can be quick-thinking and cool, this scheme can be very effective. Quickly lining up, no huddle, flinging the ball, can be very hard to defend. UT will not resemble the UT of the last several seasons, and fans will want to find their seats by the opening kickoff. Heupel's teams can score very quickly! This season should be a lot of fun!

Reactions: Volatility

The "top team in the country" just won the national championship with a guy that had the foot speed of your average clubfoot. The guy playing QB on the "top team in the country" the year prior to that won the national championship was decent running but more noted for his record setting drop back passing. Lots of little girls out here get fascinated with sparkly lights and pinwheels reflecting the sun. But that's not what big time college football is about, the scheme won't bring many championships. Running, passing, kicking, tackling, blocking better than your opponent on the gridiron does.

If he gets to 7-9 wins and can sustain it, he'll be the best coach at Tennessee in a long time. Then the question will be whether he can take to the next level.
Sounds like Butch Jones minus the "little man" complex.

I'm disagreeing with you too often lately. Sorry about that.

For a number of reasons what the Vols did in the 90's doesn't work now. Rule changes have given more advantages to the O. Player development has changed the possibilities. Even the changes in HS football have changed college football.

A few years back Saban tried to get a rule change that would slow O's down and allow more defensive subs. When that failed, he went over to the other side. His O's have exploded. In 2009, Bama averaged 32 ppg. Last year in a conference only schedule they scored 48.5 ppg. In 2009, his D allowed 11.7 ppg. Last year, they allowed 19.4 ppg.

Saban did what Fulmer wouldn't or maybe even couldn't do. He evolved and recognized that today's game is led by the offenses and scoring lots of points.

That's why I said "with the right players". I agree with what is coming out of most High Schools these days teams can't run offenses that rely heavily on QBs making reads and audibles.

Reactions: sjt18
That's why I said "with the right players". I agree with what is coming out of most High Schools these days teams can't run offenses that rely heavily on QBs making reads and audibles.
But those guys didn't make the plays these guys do. There was some security for a QB when your big OL could push the other side around and your I back could control the game.

I didn't mention it before but defenses now are far more complex and flexible than just a few years ago.

I was a traditionalist hold out. I actually like the style of play from the 80's through mid-00's better than what we have now. But if it worked with any players... Saban would be doing it.

The "top team in the country" just won the national championship with a guy that had the foot speed of your average clubfoot. The guy playing QB on the "top team in the country" the year prior to that won the national championship was decent running but more noted for his record setting drop back passing. Lots of little girls out here get fascinated with sparkly lights and pinwheels reflecting the sun. But that's not what big time college football is about, the scheme won't bring many championships. Running, passing, kicking, tackling, blocking better than your opponent on the gridiron does.
" The top team in the country" just won the national title with an avg. of 50+ points a game and avg. 500+ yrds a game. All I am saying is these high powered spread offenses that put up a lot of yards and score a lot of points are the normal thing now and I don't think they are going anywhere. Call them sparkling lights or whatever you want to call them but they are getting brighter and everybody is getting them.

VN Store

Back