Help me understand Coach Josh Heupel...

Heupel is a Leach clone-- why run it, when you can throw it. Played under Leach the year before winning the NC at OU. He's an X-O's guy, will coach up 3*'s to play like 5*'s, look at how many former players got drafted this year.

Reactions: HalfullVol
OP, I doubt you even considered it, but I noticed that all the examples you used are purt near durn successful. Kudos for not attempting to see if he compares to Jerry Dinardo, Jerry Faust, or Derek Doolittle. Keep it + man. It's all we can handle.

Reactions: volinthenorth
Those of you in the know, help me understand our coach by making some comparisons with other head coaches (current or former). I don't mean in terms of his W/L record...that would be an easy comparison for someone with the right stats, and it's not what I'm looking for. I mean his personality, his demeanor, his coaching philosophy, his offensive or defensive schemes, his leadership style, etc. Who is most like him? (Probably not just one person.) Is he a "faith and values" guy like Dabo? Is he a motivator of lesser quality players that gets the most out of them like Stoops at Kentucky? Is he energetic and geared toward fast paced offenses like Mike Leach? Is he a great leader with charisma like Matt Campbell? Is he super demanding and gets his whole staff pulling toward the same mission like Saban? Which coaches have aspects of their career that remind you of our guy? And I'll say it again: some of the comparison coaches here might have a much better winning record, but that's NOT what I'm asking. My question is about how the coach tries to execute his job in all facets, not the degree to which he may have had success on the field in comparsion to CJH.

If Lane Kiffin and Candace Parker (who both know how to score) had a baby, it would be
Josh Heupel.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
He is Abraham Lincoln. He can teach kids to never give up because brighter days are ahead.

Consider this:
  • he was fired as offensive coordinator from his alma mater, Oklahoma after their 2014 season and Oklahoma fans calling for his head even though he was a Heisman runner up and led them to a national championship as QB during his college playing days
  • but he rebounded and landed OC role at Utah State and then Missouri where he was named OC of the year
  • he then became head coach of Central Florida where he went from 12-1 to 10-3 to 6-4 and fans were getting restless
  • but he rebounded and landed the head coach role at Tennessee where he will be named COTY within the next two years...;)

Bullet point number three is shaky at best as we all know last year wasn’t a typical year.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Heupel is a Leach clone-- why run it, when you can throw it. Played under Leach the year before winning the NC at OU. He's an X-O's guy, will coach up 3*'s to play like 5*'s, look at how many former players got drafted this year.

Your statement about running the ball is not true. UCF finished 20th in total rushing yards. Finished 25th in rushing yards per game (210 yards per). In comparison to Leach's Mississippi State, the Bulldogs were dead last with 44 yards per.

UFC finished 5th in passing yards per game (357).

Last edited:
He wears a live rattlesnake as a condom.

I once saw him scissor-kick Angela Lansbury.

“Did I ever tell you about the time He showed up at my daughter’s wedding? You know my daughter, she’s a beautiful girl. Well, he shows up and you know he’s a big fella. Well, he’s standing right between me and my daughter at the ceremony. He’s got no right to be there, but he’s drunk and he’s Heupel. Well, long story short, the priest accidentally marries me and Heupel. We spend the weekend in the Poconos — he loved me like I’ve never been loved before.

He once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road.

You all are going to laugh, but I see it a bit like Meyer replacing Zook in Gainesville.

Meyer and Heupel were/are offense-minded guys with success in the non Power 5 who are bringing their own semi-unique offensive system to the SEC (where the systems are untried)

They both replace failed first time head coaches who were long time (and well regarded) defensive assistants.

Your statement about running the ball is not true. UCF finished 20th in total rushing yards. Finished 25th in rushing yards per game (210 yards per). In comparison to Leach's Mississippi State, the Bulldogs were dead last with 44 yards per.

UFC finished 5th in passing yards per game (357).

357 > 210

He may be Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, and Paul Brown rolled up into one. A giant among men, and a legend in the making.

Then again, he may be Gilbert Gottfried, Pauley Shore, and Pee Wee Herman rolled up into one. Someone many will name their
hemorrhoids after, and public enemy number one.

In two years, we will know which he is in the eyes of Vols fans. Hoping for the first, but not discounting
the possibility he will be seen as the second.

357 > 210

In 2020, UCF QBs recorded 415 pass attempts, UCF RBs, QBs, & WRs recorded 441 rushes. However, they are recorded allowing 22 sacks. Therefore, 419 rushes, 415 passes thrown, and 22 sacks. If you count the sacks as passing plays (which you probably should), that’s 437 passing plays to 419 rushes. Out of those 856 plays, that makes passing plays 51.05% of the 2020 Heupel offense, hardly the “They never run it” that you implied. That’s hella balanced

Those of you in the know, help me understand our coach by making some comparisons with other head coaches (current or former). I don't mean in terms of his W/L record...that would be an easy comparison for someone with the right stats, and it's not what I'm looking for. I mean his personality, his demeanor, his coaching philosophy, his offensive or defensive schemes, his leadership style, etc. Who is most like him? (Probably not just one person.) Is he a "faith and values" guy like Dabo? Is he a motivator of lesser quality players that gets the most out of them like Stoops at Kentucky? Is he energetic and geared toward fast paced offenses like Mike Leach? Is he a great leader with charisma like Matt Campbell? Is he super demanding and gets his whole staff pulling toward the same mission like Saban? Which coaches have aspects of their career that remind you of our guy? And I'll say it again: some of the comparison coaches here might have a much better winning record, but that's NOT what I'm asking. My question is about how the coach tries to execute his job in all facets, not the degree to which he may have had success on the field in comparsion to CJH.
Sorry some guys couldn't control their urges to be "funny".

Heupel's reputation is that he's a players coach who lives the values he claims to hold up for the team. Reports early were that he takes his faith very serious. His hires have all been "good family men" with reputations of having strong value and ethics.

They are intentionally positive and hopeful all the time in contrast to Pruitt's general negativity. Pruitt would say, "We need to work on..." or "We need to coach them better...". Heupel says, "We are improving in that area" or "Our players are striving to meet the high standards we've set for ourselves". Language matters because it has a major impact on morale.

So far he seems to have focused on the "team building" side as much as football development.

Some guys are setting win limits. From an intelligence standpoint, Heupel is reputed to be on the high end. If he hires well and continues to develop as a HC, he can do better than most here currently think. Recruiting will be key. Making some noise on the field will be a massive help to recruiting. I like him but his window is narrow. He needs early success leading to recruiting success.

Cept he runs the ball pretty equally.

He is Abraham Lincoln. He can teach kids to never give up because brighter days are ahead.

Consider this:
  • he was fired as offensive coordinator from his alma mater, Oklahoma after their 2014 season and Oklahoma fans calling for his head even though he was a Heisman runner up and led them to a national championship as QB during his college playing days
  • but he rebounded and landed OC role at Utah State and then Missouri where he was named OC of the year
  • he then became head coach of Central Florida where he went from 12-1 to 10-3 to 6-4 and fans were getting restless
  • but he rebounded and landed the head coach role at Tennessee where he will be named COTY within the next two years...;)
But year three , four........

He is like Lane Kiffin

He’s a rally the players by strapping on a helmet guy, like the late great Teddy Roosevelt, running up the hill with nothing but a sword, bullets flying by.

His offense is deep rooted in attacking and winning each and every battle to become victorious in the war, I’d compare him to Ghengis Khan

His defenses are legendary, doing more with less is the name of the guy. Want an example? Look no further than the mighty Spartans at Thermopylae.
His scheme is apparently heavily influenced by Mike Leach, but he could not be much more opposite in personality than The Pirate. I have yet to see a coach that Huepel reminds me of when it comes to personality. Huepel seems to lack the arrogance and charisma that you see in a lot of successful coaches and that is the only area I have wondered about. That said, he seems every bit as intelligent as any coach I have listened to. His calm, even tempered and seemingly humble personality could be something that bodes well for him and wins trust from his players, recruits and their families over time as long as that is backed by the player development we just saw at UCF.

So here's this kid growing up in rural South Dakota (it's all rural, there). He's exceptionally physically gifted, everyone can see that from early on. But he is kept humble by a face that looks like it spent the winter in the root basement with the potatoes. So the kid never becomes arrogant the way other gifted athletes sometimes do.

He has huge successes--like a national championship--tempered by setbacks, like having to change college not once but twice. Reinforces the humility, as well as the importance of family and friends and support structure, the people around you that you care about and who care about you. Faith and devotion and loyalty become his bulwark for withstanding occasional upheaval and disappointment.

Falls in love, gets married, has a family. Best thing in his life. Yeah, I know he's making millions coaching a sport, and for many guys that becomes the definition of their character, but for Josh it's family and faith, and THEN the game. This character aspect alone sets him apart from a lot of his peers in college and the pros. Makes him more even-keeled in hard times.

Late at night, when everyone else is asleep, if you get him to let loose a bit, he might tell you he sometimes feels like he's somehow pulling a fast one on folks. I mean, he does know the sport, and loves having been a quarterback. He loves being able to teach young men what he knows, and helping them improve. But the whole head coaching thing ... Josh in his most honest moments might admit he suffers a bit from Imposter Syndrome (look it up, it's a real thing) when it comes to that. Again, reinforces his humility and reference to powers greater than himself.

Put all that together, and you have a sincere, realistic, caring, motivated, quiet, humble, capable, talented, gifted, unsure, competitive, likeable head coach.

I don't think there's another one like him out there, anywhere. If you look for comparisons, you might keep coming up short.

We wish him the very best of luck, obviously.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I bet anyone who complains about people being miserable is probably miserable themselves. The “Life” of the party.
You and ACvol3 just got stuck in a recursive loop. You're falling down a rat hole, together.

I mean, who's more miserable, the miserable one or the one who pointed out his miserableness or the one who pointed out his miserableness for pointing out their miserableness or the one wh......

Good luck down there. Heh. :)

VN Store

Back