Help me understand Coach Josh Heupel...

Those of you in the know, help me understand our coach by making some comparisons with other head coaches (current or former). I don't mean in terms of his W/L record...that would be an easy comparison for someone with the right stats, and it's not what I'm looking for. I mean his personality, his demeanor, his coaching philosophy, his offensive or defensive schemes, his leadership style, etc. Who is most like him? (Probably not just one person.) Is he a "faith and values" guy like Dabo? Is he a motivator of lesser quality players that gets the most out of them like Stoops at Kentucky? Is he energetic and geared toward fast paced offenses like Mike Leach? Is he a great leader with charisma like Matt Campbell? Is he super demanding and gets his whole staff pulling toward the same mission like Saban? Which coaches have aspects of their career that remind you of our guy? And I'll say it again: some of the comparison coaches here might have a much better winning record, but that's NOT what I'm asking. My question is about how the coach tries to execute his job in all facets, not the degree to which he may have had success on the field in comparsion to CJH.

He’s a rally the players by strapping on a helmet guy, like the late great Teddy Roosevelt, running up the hill with nothing but a sword, bullets flying by.

His offense is deep rooted in attacking and winning each and every battle to become victorious in the war, I’d compare him to Ghengis Khan

His defenses are legendary, doing more with less is the name of the guy. Want an example? Look no further than the mighty Spartans at Thermopylae.

Those of you in the know, help me understand our coach by making some comparisons with other head coaches (current or former). I don't mean in terms of his W/L record...that would be an easy comparison for someone with the right stats, and it's not what I'm looking for. I mean his personality, his demeanor, his coaching philosophy, his offensive or defensive schemes, his leadership style, etc. Who is most like him? (Probably not just one person.) Is he a "faith and values" guy like Dabo? Is he a motivator of lesser quality players that gets the most out of them like Stoops at Kentucky? Is he energetic and geared toward fast paced offenses like Mike Leach? Is he a great leader with charisma like Matt Campbell? Is he super demanding and gets his whole staff pulling toward the same mission like Saban? Which coaches have aspects of their career that remind you of our guy? And I'll say it again: some of the comparison coaches here might have a much better winning record, but that's NOT what I'm asking. My question is about how the coach tries to execute his job in all facets, not the degree to which he may have had success on the field in comparsion to CJH.
He reminds me of a younger Norman Dale.

Reactions: GrayWaterCanine
He is Abraham Lincoln. He can teach kids to never give up because brighter days are ahead.

Consider this:
  • he was fired as offensive coordinator from his alma mater, Oklahoma after their 2014 season and Oklahoma fans calling for his head even though he was a Heisman runner up and led them to a national championship as QB during his college playing days
  • but he rebounded and landed OC role at Utah State and then Missouri where he was named OC of the year
  • he then became head coach of Central Florida where he went from 12-1 to 10-3 to 6-4 and fans were getting restless
  • but he rebounded and landed the head coach role at Tennessee where he will be named COTY within the next two years...;)

He wears a live rattlesnake as a condom.

I once saw him scissor-kick Angela Lansbury.

“Did I ever tell you about the time He showed up at my daughter’s wedding? You know my daughter, she’s a beautiful girl. Well, he shows up and you know he’s a big fella. Well, he’s standing right between me and my daughter at the ceremony. He’s got no right to be there, but he’s drunk and he’s Heupel. Well, long story short, the priest accidentally marries me and Heupel. We spend the weekend in the Poconos — he loved me like I’ve never been loved before.

He once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road.

He like Steve Spurrier, minus the arrogance.

He’ll be exciting against lower competition and struggle against the top. Offense will be repetitive but flashy at times.

7-9 wins but the “hill” will be to steep to climb over.

If he gets to 7-9 wins and can sustain it, he'll be the best coach at Tennessee in a long time. Then the question will be whether he can take to the next level.

Reactions: PMC2726
He’s a quarterbacks guy and will get the most from that position. The competition in that room is already insane with 5 good options, but he will have his guy who rises above the rest come fall and won’t run a 2 qb system.

Demeanor - seems like a players coach, takes their input, likes to have fun and keep it light, dodgeball after practice brought in ice cream trucks, wants players and coaches to form bonds on and off the field, encouraging them to go to other sport games together, etc.

About all I got.

Offensive and defensive styles are very similar to Art Briles at Baylor. I actually think he completely overhauled his offense after being fired from Oklahoma and after Briles owned them for a few years. He basically just copied Briles system with a few nuances.They are always in attack mode on both sides of the ball. Super uptempo and will probably be top 5 in plays ran. Defense is a lot of blitzing and attacking. The point is to generate more turnovers since basically offense is so hard to stop in this era, it’s about generating turnovers and negative plays and holding the other team to field goals in the red zone.

I think if there is one word that sums up what Heupel is about or is trying to sell as the identity of the program it would be “Family”. He seems like he might be sort of an introvert and maybe has to put forth some effort to show some personality in his public speaking (just my opinion), but players say he is really genuine and an overall good guy. I’m not sure who I would compare him too, but I would say in regards to being family oriented and having a positive outlook and image it kind of reminds me of Fulmer’s style. We can only hope he can eventually recruit like Fulmer.

He wears a live rattlesnake as a condom.

I once saw him scissor-kick Angela Lansbury.

“Did I ever tell you about the time He showed up at my daughter’s wedding? You know my daughter, she’s a beautiful girl. Well, he shows up and you know he’s a big fella. Well, he’s standing right between me and my daughter at the ceremony. He’s got no right to be there, but he’s drunk and he’s Heupel. Well, long story short, the priest accidentally marries me and Heupel. We spend the weekend in the Poconos — he loved me like I’ve never been loved before.

He once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road.

You forgot to mention that he once chop-blocked national treasure Martha Stewart.

We all want to find a coach who has a great track record to compare him to (well a few probably looked for coaches who suck). However, he seems to do things his own way. That can be good or bad...hopefully he is capable of taking the things he has learned along the way, mixing them into a winning formula. IMO he will...but i have no specific thing i can point to and say, because of this he will be successful. For me its just a gut feeling based on the things ive read about him and his appearances in front of the mic.

He seems to be very very confident and comfortable with who he is and what he does without the bs machismo or braggadacio. The leaders i have been around that i wanted to help be successful were very much that way. It doesnt guarantee that he is the one who turns this thing around....but i like his chances.

We SHOULD look somewhat like Ole Miss did last year in JH’s first year. Very similar offensive philosophies (Ole Miss’s OC is actually a disciple of JH).

My best guess is we will be fun to watch, get blown out a few times, and really hang in with some tough opponents. If all of that is the case, it’s definitely something we can build on.

If he gets to 7-9 wins and can sustain it, he'll be the best coach at Tennessee in a long time. Then the question will be whether he can take to the next level.

He will be the coach we all hate to see go in 5-7 years, or maybe 8. He’ll sustain it, but eventually it won’t be enough.

VN Store

Back