Help ESPN Rewrite This Headline So That it Isn’t Unnecessarily Insulting to Both Teams

Sheik Yerbouti

Class of 2000
There has to be a way to write this that focuses on the positives, right? How would YOU have written it?
3424C49E-A6A4-4149-93E5-F02766E088D4.jpeg

I don't really have a problem with the title. It's accurate. As a UT fan I wasn't insulted at all. In fact, I take great pleasure out of the fact that the media didn't expect us to be a factor in that game at all.
In my mind, saying that Kentucky “blew it” fails to credit Tennessee and unnecessarily disparages a talented Kentucky team.

A positive spin on this is possible for both teams, I think. Tennessee looks to me like a team that is starting to gel at the right time of year. They play excellent defense and their offense is getting warm.

It’s an upset, for sure, but ESPN could have credited a “resurgent” Tennessee squad with an “epic comeback” in the headline, which would have been kinder to Kentucky as well.

I did find it interesting how quickly ESPN moved away from the telecast once the game was over. Was also interesting watching the first 10 minutes of Sportscenter right after and seeing no mention of the #6 team in the country being upset.

I did find it interesting how quickly ESPN moved away from the telecast once the game was over. Was also interesting watching the first 10 minutes of Sportscenter right after and seeing no mention of the #6 team in the country being upset.
It was almost 45 mins after the game ended before I saw any mention of the game. And that was on the SEC network. They only talked about it for 5 minutes. Like #6 team in the country lost, but it's Kensucky so we won't talk about that. Smh

I would have stopped the headline at "Kentucky blows"
giphy.gif

Reactions: OG.V83
In my mind, saying that Kentucky “blew it” fails to credit Tennessee and unnecessarily disparages a talented Kentucky team.

A positive spin on this is possible for both teams, I think. Tennessee looks to me like a team that is starting to gel at the right time of year. They play excellent defense and their offense is getting warm.

It’s an upset, for sure, but ESPN could have credited a “resurgent” Tennessee squad with an “epic comeback” in the headline, which would have been kinder to Kentucky as well.
Tennessee played a brilliant second half and that was the SOLE REASON for the "collapse." Give credit where credit is due, but most headlines want to avoid giving credit to what happened.

VN Store

Back