Heaps v. Sims

In another article that I read about Heaps, it said that his record was 28-0. I'll take that over a cannon any day of the week and twice on Sunday! :hi: Reminds me of like a Jay Barker from Bama back in the early 90's. All that I remember about him was that he didn't seem to ever lose.

Jay Barker was terrible he was surrounded by a great team he was JPW 2.0.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Almost all college and pro teams would rather have a QB that can throw 30-35 yards on a rope than one that can throw 70 yards. Accuracy is by far the most important quality after making great decisions.

Remember Jeff George? He had a cannon for an arm, but did it make him a great QB?

From a physical standpoint I like Sims: big arm, good mobility, and great size. More college ready: probably Heaps but no frosh QB is college-ready.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would love to have either one of these kids but if we are getting to pick one, I would probably lean towards Heaps.

After watching Heaps videos on YouTube, I think that he has a pretty big arm himself. He does appear to have great accuracy. He record as a winner is undeniable. He appears to be a bit more polished and by all accounts is a guy who seems to have a great work ethic. From the videos, it seems as though he had to engineer a few comeback bids and looked pretty calm and comfortable making necessary plays with the game on the line. Bottom line is that I like this kids intangibles. We are going to need someone who will play early on and this kid may be the most viable option for that.

I think a kid that might be a good fall back guy or a guy that maybe we could sign in addition to one of these other would be Barry Brunetti from MUS in Memphis. I have had the pleasure of watching this kid and talking with some of his coaches. He is listed as 6"2, but I would say that is pushing it. He is a well built kid though and if QB did not work out, he could easily be a RB or Safety. His stock seemed to take off this year as his team went on their State Championship run. I personally think that he made a dramatic improvement from Sophomore to Junior. He always had the big arm, but his accuracy really came along. The biggest criticism I have heard is that he does not fit the Kiffin system and is more of a spread running QB. I have talked to some of his coaches that I know (some of them have college experience) and they do not seem to agree with the notion. Their offense uses multiple looks including both a pro-style look and a spread look. He takes snaps from both center and out of the gun. Duke and Memphis are the only to offer so far, but I was told that most coaches were leaving the impression that they are awaiting the results of his recently completed ACT. I have heard that he wants to play QB in college. Other schools showing big interest include TN, FL, Miss St, Missouri, Ohio St. Random note is that his uncle is the FB coach at Nashville's Pearl Cohn (a school that has sent some towards the land of Orange)

I'll take Sims over Heaps. Heaps isn't near as mature in body and Sims is. Sims could come in from Day One and start, IMO. Heaps is a good QB, but he won't end up in the Top 5 in Pro-Style QB's near the end of the next recruiting system.

I'll take Sims over Heaps. Heaps isn't near as mature in body and Sims is. Sims could come in from Day One and start, IMO. Heaps is a good QB, but he won't end up in the Top 5 in Pro-Style QB's near the end of the next recruiting system.
Hey Eric ,since Askew signed do you think this also may give us a heads up with Sims?

The only thing with Heaps is his 2 year mission. Someone said he is rethinking about going, what source is this from? The mission is very important to the Mormon faith and I would be very surprised if he did not go. With that in mind, I choose Sims based simply on the fact that after 2 years of no football, sometimes it takes a while to get it going again.

First of all, the comparisons are ridiculous and reductionistic at best. Secondly, these kids are juniors in high school so both can easily get stronger and/or more accurate before they go to college. Third, we need ALL the good quarterbacks we can get.

Chill out, seriously. Its just a thread too give people something to talk about during a boring recruiting period. I don't see why people always have to freak out whenever any kind of comparison is made. It's just something fun to talk about.

Virginia might have a coaching change by the end of next year. That should work against them if it happens.

They played much stronger at the last half of the year and could have had a winning record if they had a few breaks go their way. They should have a winning record this year.

From what I've seen of both of these guys, heaps appears to be just much more fluid.

Not to discount sims, I would like to see more of what this guy can do, he appears to have the tools.

The only thing with Heaps is his 2 year mission. Someone said he is rethinking about going, what source is this from? The mission is very important to the Mormon faith and I would be very surprised if he did not go. With that in mind, I choose Sims based simply on the fact that after 2 years of no football, sometimes it takes a while to get it going again.

Heaps has said himself that he is strongly considering not taking his trip while in school.

I like Heaps a little better myself but hey, Throw both names in a bag and pick one, You can't lose with either of them...Both studs and both future leaders

VN Store

Back