Heaps v. Sims

Quite a few people on this board are very high on Philip Sims, even some going to the point of saying they would rather have Sims than Jake Heaps, most of whom talk about Sims' arm strength. Well, my question for you is, would you rather have Dante Culpepper or Chad Pennington as your quarterback. Most people who know anything about football would go with Chad. My point is, as cool as watching a guy bomb one 70 yards may be, accuracy is much more important than arm strength. This is why I would much rather have Heaps, especially now that he has said he is "leaning towards not going on his mission." I also believe that if given the choice, Kiffin would choose Heaps as well.

In another article that I read about Heaps, it said that his record was 28-0. I'll take that over a cannon any day of the week and twice on Sunday! :hi: Reminds me of like a Jay Barker from Bama back in the early 90's. All that I remember about him was that he didn't seem to ever lose.

Sims is actually a very smart QB as well.

I didn't say that Sims wasn't smart, I in no way compared the intelligence of the 2. Recruiting analysts say Sims' best quality is his arm stregth and say that Heaps' best quality is accuracy. I said I'd rather have an accurate QB than one with a rocket arm.

Culpepper was a really good Qb until he blew out his knee and just never recovered from it. Decision making is the number one quality of a good qb. Making good choices leads to no mistakes which leads to wins.

Culpepper was a really good Qb until he blew out his knee and just never recovered from it. Decision making is the number one quality of a good qb. Making good choices leads to no mistakes which leads to wins.

more like Dante was a really good QB until Randy Moss left...

I'd take Heaps in our situation, but if we had a situation where we could have them sit on the bench for a year or two, I'd probably take Sims.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two based on the film that's available to the general public.

They're managing very different offenses with different personnel.

I've never seen either one play a full game---just their highlights and that's not enough for me at this point.

I can make that judgment for RB's and WR's, but not as confidently on the signal caller who actually touches the ball on every single play.

I like Heaps for his leadership skills and desire more than anything else. I love watching his highlights, but I'm not ready to declare him the victor over Sims.

I also don't see the point in putting them head-to-head, when I really don't see the two signing together. If Heaps signs in the summer, I'd expect Sims to look elsewhere.

If Heaps picks another school, I could still see a 3rd QB signing on during the summer. This staff needs to get its QB out of the way quickly and Sims has said that he wants to take his time. That could change of course, but for now I think it's far more likely we get a west coast passer before Sims.

I also don't think Sims is necessarily Kiffin and Chaney's number two. Heaps has to be considered their number one at this point, because the window on him is closing sooner than on Sims. They don't have the luxury to wait it out.

At this point we could get one or neither and still be ok.

I think Kiffin's going to get a guy who he's very confident in and I'm not concerned about which of these two is better at this point.

Bottomline---

The quarterback Tennessee gets in 2010 will be the right guy for Tennessee---whether that's Heaps or Sims is to be determined.

First of all, the comparisons are ridiculous and reductionistic at best. Secondly, these kids are juniors in high school so both can easily get stronger and/or more accurate before they go to college. Third, we need ALL the good quarterbacks we can get.

First of all, the comparisons are ridiculous and reductionistic at best. Secondly, these kids are juniors in high school so both can easily get stronger and/or more accurate before they go to college. Third, we need ALL the good quarterbacks we can get.

+1 :good!:

This site desperately needs spring practice to start.

I'm all for the idea of getting both Heaps and Simms, letting Heaps take his 2 year mission, then sit behind Simms for a year or two, then start as a RS sophomore or junior. But the question would remain until then if Heaps would be the same QB after his mission.

VN Store

Back