Heading for Destin in a few weeks...

Last year, friends went to Stinky's and waited over 1.5 hours with kids for a table. Nope. Same owners run a slightly more upscale place in Blue Mountain Beach that's really good, though.

Reactions: RollerVol
Last year, friends went to Stinky's and waited over 1.5 hours with kids for a table. Nope. Same owners run a slightly more upscale place in Blue Mountain Beach that's really good, though.
We went to Stinky's a couple years back during the off season. I thought it was fine, my mom thinks it’s to die for. We ate there and Goatfeathers, I would liked to have gone there when the market was open.

McGuires for sure. Make sure you head towards the Mid Bay Bridge to get into Destin. The Brooks bridge from Ft Walton was hit by a barge last week and is closed. Traffic is going to be unbearable getting into that place for the foreseeable future.

Not true. It was back open that night. Midbay bridge has been and will be closed off and on all summer due to neglect of the bridge maintenance.

While going to Destin, Visit the towns surrounding. Niceville, Fort Walton & Navarre are a few. Take a ride to Vortex Springs as well. Food is great anywhere you go, Prices have went up at most places though & expect major wait times due to Hurricane Micheal destroying PCB. A lot More visitors are expected to the area and with the incomepentent city of Destin there is still road work going on Once you pass Wlamart on 98.

I'll be heading to Destin soon and I have taken note of all the good restaurants mentioned here.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for golf? I really didnt want to spend $100 per round. Is there anything in the $50 - $70 range that's decent ? I plan on playing several times with the guys in our family so that's why I didnt want to spend $100 per course.

Just got back from Destin this past weekend. We tried Emeril's Coastal Italian and it was delicious. Excellent house cocktails. I indulged and got the Wagyu Ribeye and it did not disappoint at all. Another of our party got the house pork chop dish which featured some of the most tender pork I've ever eaten and the flavors were phenomenal. Those were the two best dishes of the table.

We also tried Boshamps which proved to be spectacular. The lobster bites app was excellent, huge pieces of fried lobster. There literally wasn't a bad app or dish that was ordered. This will likely become a go to for our trips. The downside to this restaurant is it's wait time of typically an hour and a half(no call aheads or reservations). A lot of parties end up just eating out at the bar while waiting. If you plan ahead for this it's not an issue. They offer a text link to the yelp app that shows where you are in line and how many parties are head of you. Mcguire's is also now using the same yelp app "waiting line" feature.

If it hasn't been mentioned, Royal Red shrimp are a must when in season. We grabbed 3# at Destin Ice tonight, and that's about the best seafood you could imagine at $15/#. Boil 90 seconds, peel, dip in garlic lemon butter, ... imagine food in Heaven.

If it hasn't been mentioned, Royal Red shrimp are a must when in season. We grabbed 3# at Destin Ice tonight, and that's about the best seafood you could imagine at $15/#. Boil 90 seconds, peel, dip in garlic lemon butter, ... imagine food in Heaven.

Royal Reds rock!

Do you know what the season is for Royal reds?

It seems like they are serve in January, but those might be from China? Who knows.

I believe they are always quick-frozen at sea due to the difficulty/distance traveled that is required to get to them. They only live in very deep and cold waters.

We tried Boshamps yesterday based on recommendations from here. It did not disappoint. We went at 5pm and it was busy. 30 minutes later would have sucked. We got a table pretty quickly. I had the Boshamp basket. It was delicious. I couldn’t eat all of it though. Some of the fries got tossed.

We also went deep sea fishing. We had our limit on red snapper pretty quickly. A guy caught a 32 lb cobia which was cool. I had two snap my line and one break my rod. We also had some dolphins trying to mooch and steal our fish. It was cool to see them chasing the boat and jumping out the water. Saw some smaller sharks also. My wife had a blast despite being hungover. I think I sold her on future deep sea fishing trips.

Reactions: T-TownVol
Hey all. Thanks for your recommendations. But we went as a big group as I went down to officiate a wedding. Went to Pompano Joes. Not bad. I got more of a sampler plate. We also went to Dewey Destins. Yes to this place. We went to the original on the water. Yes to this place. I had the crab cakes. Absolutely delicious. Kids wanted pizza for lunch for one day. Had Merlin’s pizza. Kids though it was some of the best they have ever had. My wife and kids are pizza connoisseurs.I had the wings. Meh.

One day my kids had to get rescued by life guards. Got caught by the rip current. It was extremely fast. They were like 6 feet from me and then felt like 20 or more. I am thankful for the life guards. Luckily they had boogie boards to hold on to. So be careful. 15 rescues that day. So they shut the beach down. Have fun to the rest of you.

Reactions: SmokinBob

VN Store

Back