Heading for Destin in a few weeks...

I haven't been in quite a while but I was a fan of AJ's back then.

Home

While you are there, try "scamp" [brown grouper] if it is available. Late Spring is their breeding season, so it may not be widely available. Locals favor it.

Vintij or Beach Walk for high-end.

Marina Cafe or Brotulas for great seafood, slightly more casual.

Fat Clemenza's/Mama Clemenza's for pizza/Italian.

Tommy Bahama's was actually very good last time we were there, but it's a chain, of course.

Reactions: RollerVol
We spend the month of January there. What part of town are you staying with in?

Just a few: Best reasonably priced fresh oysters, High Tide, Ft Walton, more of a local restaurant that also has decent food.
Bay Cafe, FW, European, my favorite. A good place without the kids.

Ocean Club, go early for the specials. Avoid nights with a band.
Louisiana lagniappe,
Back Porch, pretty good.
Pazzo Italiano, a break from seafood.
Half shell oyster house has good oyster. Expensive.
The kids will like the surf hut. Reasonable with decent food.
Bayou Bills, good fried seafood, oysters. Kids like the pirate and aquarium. Santa Rosa Beach

A big disappointment,
Brotulas, Stewbys in Ft Walton, Emeril's

The scamp is good, so is grouper, my favorite is the trigger fish.

Nothing is really inexpensive there.
Other restaurants mentioned by others are good.

Last edited:
I'd only recommend AJ's for their Dolphin cruise but not for eating.
Fat Clemenza's is a go to for us, very good Italian food.
Like KD mentioned Tommy Bahamas is great when they are on top of their game but it's a chain restaurant so you can have miss days there.
McGuire's Irish Pub is legit. You should just go there for a drink even if you've already eaten to check the place out. Really cool. I got an Irish steak and mushroom pie that was absolutely delicious. Missed out on it last year because we had to evacuate for hurricane Michael. Nobody in our party had a bad dish.
Camille's has a little cafe/bike shop on the side, they have great breakfast sandwiches.
Jackacuda's on the Harbor Walk had great sushi as well.
The Crab Trap is a great family restaurant. Inexpensive, nothing fancy but they do have solid food.
I'll second the Donut Hole.

McGuires for sure. Make sure you head towards the Mid Bay Bridge to get into Destin. The Brooks bridge from Ft Walton was hit by a barge last week and is closed. Traffic is going to be unbearable getting into that place for the foreseeable future.

I'd tell you to go to Harry Ts and Elephant Walk but I haven't been there in about 25 years and I'm guessing both are gone.

McGuires for sure. Make sure you head towards the Mid Bay Bridge to get into Destin. The Brooks bridge from Ft Walton was hit by a barge last week and is closed. Traffic is going to be unbearable getting into that place for the foreseeable future.
Love your avi pic. :cool:

The last I saw the bridge is considered safe. They were going to reexamine. Do you know if anything has changed?
If closed that will be rough on people needing to travel east and west on 98.
I think a new bridge is scheduled to start in 2022. Not related to the barge accident.

Donut Hole is a MUST for breakfast!

Original Dewey Destins for "dive" casual seafood.......overlooks crab island

Boshamps for "Snapper Destin".........you can thank me later

Have a great trip.

Another Broken Egg Cafe is great for breakfast.

Also, I should mention that Beach Walk is at the adult-only Henderson Park Inn, so don't try to take children there.

Vintij has the perk of also being a wine-retailer with a unique/lesser-known selection, so you can purchase bottles there and have them with dinner for a much more reasonable price than usual.

Donut Hole is a MUST for breakfast!

Original Dewey Destins for "dive" casual seafood.......overlooks crab island

Boshamps for "Snapper Destin".........you can thank me later

Have a great trip.

+1 and anything at Boshamps is on point. If you want a real dive, oysters and cold beer go to the Boathouse. Food is mediocre, but it's a good view with cold beer. Can't go wrong at Louisiana Lagniappe either.

+1 and anything at Boshamps is on point. If you want a real dive, oysters and cold beer go to the Boathouse. Food is mediocre, but it's a good view with cold beer. Can't go wrong at Louisiana Lagniappe either.

I will also add if you're in the mood for Mexican while you were there, La Paz is the only place to go.

Nobody mentioned Louis Louis? Also, such a shame The Red Bar burned down.

Stinky's Fish Camp
Dewey Destin's

Red Bar and Louis Louis have the same owner.
Red Bar was a destination not to be missed by adults. (He asked for family friendly places is most-likely why it was not mentioned.)

VN Store

Back