Have any of you dealt with retina detachment?

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
I have been dealing with a retina detachment since the end of July. I found out today that I have to have another surgery followed by two weeks of looking down followed by 6 months with a silicone bubble in my eye. I am pretty upset and scared. Have any of you dealt with this and if you did, did you get your sight back? I can't see anything out of my right eye.

I have been dealing with a retina detachment since the end of July. I found out today that I have to have another surgery followed by two weeks of looking down followed by 6 months with a silicone bubble in my eye. I am pretty upset and scared. Have any of you dealt with this and if you did, did you get your sight back? I can't see anything out of my right eye.
Sent you a note via the report option (sorry, I know that was a bit clunky.)

My mom had this. She only had to have the one surgery. A guy from Cleveland did the surgery in Chattanooga. Sorry I can't remember his name. Her vision improved after the surgery. She was pretty much on bedrest for a month and a half after the surgery. Hoping for the best for you.

My mom had this. She only had to have the one surgery. A guy from Cleveland did the surgery in Chattanooga. Sorry I can't remember his name. Her vision improved after the surgery. She was pretty much on bedrest for a month and a half after the surgery. Hoping for the best for you.
Thank you.

My father in law had to deal with it. He got his sight back pretty much the same as it had been. He did have to give up playing handball, which was a big loss to him but something of a relief to the rest of his family.

I haven't, but I will pray for you

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Thanks for the lead louder

Yes Lady I had what started as a retinal tear followed by a complete detachment. And had to sit on the face down chair for a week and sleep on my right side for two weeks. In my case since my recovery went well they truncated the face down time from two weeks to one week so there is hope. It’s scary trust me I get it. But with the vitrectomy they do as a part of the reattachment procedure I have no floaters in that eye and my vision today is better than before the procedure. Don’t cheat on the rehab! And you should have every expectation of a full recovery.

I had one about 10 years ago. Luckily, the opthalmologist who'd done a cataract on the same eye saw me in about an hour after the event. The recommended surgeon's office was down the hall and he scheduled an operating room for about 3-4hrs after I reported it. That day was terrifying and sucked.

I was awake, but stupid, for at least some of the procedure. It's a very interesting feeling having someone pierce your eyeball and talk about draining the vitreous.

Annoying as all hell recovery with the bubble in my eye, sleeping at the dining table with my head down on hemorrhoid donut, and the "tequila vision" for a couple of weeks.

My vision was back to about 20/30 in about 3 months, as I recall. The opthalmologist monitors where my retina was "tack welded" back up and keeps me calm by pointing out my fancy OCT scan looks good.

Hang in there. Recovery does take way too long, or so it seems, but the bubble does finally disappear. Ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable.

Reactions: VolNExile
I had one about 10 years ago. Luckily, the opthalmologist who'd done a cataract on the same eye saw me in about an hour after the event. The recommended surgeon's office was down the hall and he scheduled an operating room for about 3-4hrs after I reported it. That day was terrifying and sucked.

I was awake, but stupid, for at least some of the procedure. It's a very interesting feeling having someone pierce your eyeball and talk about draining the vitreous.

Annoying as all hell recovery with the bubble in my eye, sleeping at the dining table with my head down on hemorrhoid donut, and the "tequila vision" for a couple of weeks.

My vision was back to about 20/30 in about 3 months, as I recall. The opthalmologist monitors where my retina was "tack welded" back up and keeps me calm by pointing out my fancy OCT scan looks good.

Hang in there. Recovery does take way too long, or so it seems, but the bubble does finally disappear. Ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: VolNExile
Thanks for the lead louder

Yes Lady I had what started as a retinal tear followed by a complete detachment. And had to sit on the face down chair for a week and sleep on my right side for two weeks. In my case since my recovery went well they truncated the face down time from two weeks to one week so there is hope. It’s scary trust me I get it. But with the vitrectomy they do as a part of the reattachment procedure I have no floaters in that eye and my vision today is better than before the procedure. Don’t cheat on the rehab! And you should have every expectation of a full recovery.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: NorthDallas40
My dad did and lost vision in one eye. I'm not sure what went wrong with it, but it was after cataract surgery. Luckily he has since had cataract surgery in the other with no complications, but talk about nerve-wracking to make sure it goes okay the second time.

Reactions: joevol33

VN Store

Back