Haters hate and supporters support

This is my first post after following Volnation for a while. I am a long-time Vol fan. We are season ticket holders. I understand why so many are hating on our football program and I understand why so many will support it. I want to tell you where my feeling comes from. We went to a game in Sept 2001 against LSU. It was the first sporting weekend after the 9-11 bombings. There was concern something was going to happen at a major sporting event and TN and Mich had the two largest at home games that weekend. My wife and I had our 14 month old daughter and considered if we should pass on this game. We decided we could not let the terrorists win and change the USA. We decided to go to the game with the thought that we all could be the next target. We said there could not be a better place to die together than at Neyland with 108,000 Volunteer fans. Some of you supporters were at the game and some of you haters were at the game all feeling the same. Eighteen years later my daughter plays in the Pride of the Southland at these games. All of us love TN and need to cheer for our team.

This binary approach to UT fandom is beyond frustrating along with the moral signaling of 'supporter status.'

No one knows if Pruitt is the solution or not at this point in time or potentially ever. If he goes 1-11 and gets canned, there's always a chance, albeit slim, that he could have gone 10-2 the following year 'if we only gave him enough time.' He could have also go 0-12 the following season.

I don't know if he's the guy long term and I don't know who should replace him but I do know UT is currently scraping the bottom of our historical barrel. To claim otherwise or constantly blame the previous coaches for the current coach's performance doesn't make you a 'supporter' or 'true fan.' It makes you a delusional sap.

Blind devotion to anything is a recipe for trouble and maybe that level of slavish devotion to the Big Orange has allowed things to get so damn bad in the first place since the UTAD knows they'll continue to get support as they drive the program off the cliff.

I disagree entirely. I hate Georgia...and yet I support my Volunteers. :)

Even when the water splashes over the tops of my feet, I'll keep firing the Big Orange guns.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
UT fans are hardcore. They can't switch teams so when things go bad people vent in different ways otherwise they explode. Player anger, team dissection, Monday arm chairing and sunshine pumping. All it takes is getting ahead on a top 5 team by 4 points and the entire fanbase is immediately back in line a second later.

Haters don’t keep filling up Neyland and buying swag after over a decade of disappointment.

Coach worshippers don't actually worship the coach. I'd bet no one has actually swung from Pruitt's nut sak. These people wouldn't criticize Pruitt for not kicking Banks off the team before he did.

Last edited:
Haters don’t keep filling up Neyland and buying swag after over a decade of disappointment.

90 percent of the haters on this board don't set foot into Neyland. One piece of evidence: the number of posters in a different thread who thought Saturday's game is AT Miss State. Real fans know the schedule.

PS -- Kudos to the OP. Great post.

Cool story OP, especially that your daughter is playing in the band now. Hard to believe its been 18 years since 9/11. Sorry your story is gonna get overlooked by the hate/support/true fan BS.

90 percent of the haters on this board don't set foot into Neyland. One piece of evidence: the number of posters in a different thread who thought Saturday's game is AT Miss State. Real fans know the schedule.

PS -- Kudos to the OP. Great post.
93% of percentages are made up and patently false.

Most of those individuals that thought we were playing at State were supporters ironically. I saw the thread you are referencing.

93% of percentages are made up and patently false.

Most of those individuals that thought we were playing at State were supporters ironically. I saw the thread you are referencing.
50% chance you’re wrong......

...... or right. 😎

Come on... He posted an encouraging message. I really don’t think he’s trying claim ‘moral superiority’ or be the ‘fan police’ as you say.

I reread it, and Im pretty sure, in his mind, criticism = "hating on our football program." That's a typical statement from the fan police that we all know and love so much. I will give credit for his "understanding why" part, though.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Agree 100% with posts above.

Supporting less than what is expected is the reason we're stuck with what we have now. Lack of accountability has caused the administration to turn the other 'Jimmy Cheek' and line the University's pockets because we fans still believe that the teams put on that field are somehow still connected to our 20 year old memories.

Are you saying you support the team enough to have your wife and child killed?

This may be the number 1 UT fan. Sounds like it anyways

For many,

Supporting the Vols = Fellating the coaching staff at every conceivable opportunity

To me it means, always hoping to win, supporting the school and the players, it does not mean you have to shut off your brain and become a mindless automaton of any particular person or group of persons employed by the school.

VN Store

Back