Haslam Pulling Pilot Flying J Sponsorship From ESPN and SEC

I think most of us would agree that we would be ok with the Haslam's following and giving money to another team! Charlie Ergen making up the deficiency and then some would be ok with the fan base as well as never seeing the Haslam's near the UT program again. Jimmy can't seem to get it right with the Browns. It seems as though the Haslams' have done more bad than good for UT over the recent years. I personally hope Fulmer has Ergen in his back pocket and can tell the Haslam's they aren't dictating **** anymore as far as UT Athletics is concerned!!! =)

Seriously? How many recruits cite our facilities as being major factors in their decision? And how can we be sure that Charlie Ergen would pick up the slack if the Haslam family pulled out? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of everything they do (business practices, etc.), but I sure wouldn’t want them throwing money at another team.

I don’t know about you guys but I think Jimmy Haslam is doing a tremendous job with the Cleveland Browns. I really want to see what else he can do for them by focusing all his time on the NFL franchise. I anticipate a lot more success coming his way if he can continue to focus on the Browns and no other football or athletic team whatsoever.

I took an advertising class in college in SoCal back in the day. The guy teaching it had just been named the President of Marketing USA for a laughingly weird Korean company called Hyundai that was going to sell Korean cars in the USA. Few in our class thought he would ever do anything but teach. One of the very first things he asked by having us show hands, was how many of us thought we were heavily influenced by advertising across all the forms of media. I don't recall seeing a single hand raised. He then asked the question in a different way. How many of you believe Ford, GM, Quaker Oats, Kelloggs, Levis, Nike, Budweiser, and hundreds of other companies spend hundreds of billions of dollars per year on something that does not influence you at all? Perhaps one hard core hand went up but it was not mine. That you ask the query do television commercials work, the verdict on that query via data has been and remains in place today and it is a decided yes. That one believes it or not makes no difference at all to their being affected, highly affected.
That’s fair and I get it, but for an established brand what good does it do? Is it close to preaching to the choir?

The commercial didn’t didn’t get me to buy a Pontiac, it was Donnie Hatcher’s price. Granted his advertising for his dealership got me to drive there and check it out. It was worth it. Newer car for less money. He forced me to buy from him.

ESPN wrote a tell all about lil Jimmy. He’s upset.
There is much more behind the scenes to be told. The dogs are sniffing, and he's becoming even more nervous. Thus, he uses his power and money to pull the plug and tell ESPN to stay away. I highly doubt he had no knowledge of "the scheme" publicly known within his company, but I could be wrong.

Why shouldn’t he pull the sponsorship? I don’t understand the criticism. Dumb move by ESPN, IMO.
It's a writer trying to expose the truth through journalism. When you have wealth and are therefore exposed to the public, it becomes part of your world.

KNS doing it's thing.

The ONLY news in this piece is "FJ pulls deal from ESPN/SEC 2yrs into 4 yr deal". That's ALL the news here folks. Besides some rehashed historical and personal info. It does NOT say FJ did this because of the negative Haslam article. Read this slyly worded story again and you'll see what I mean. The writer just says "it comes after" that article was published. Well, it's come after 9 million other events too. In other words, we have no idea W-H-Y Pilot/FJ exited this deal early. KNS/Gannett/USAToday can be trusted no more than Haslam or ESPN.

On a related point. If a company I was invested in had skin so thin as to pull a major marketing campaign over 1 negative article about the top shareholder's performance in another company ... I would be seriously worried about the future decision making of that company. We have zero information as to the reason for this change folks.

I'm not going to jump on the KNS' "Haslam is butt hurt" narrative bandwagon here.
This isn't KNS. This is layers beyond.

His money. His choice.

If you are advertising and sponsoring an organization that does something to damage your brand... you have every right to sever the relationship.
You do have every right to sever, but if you have any principles at all......

PFJ can do anything they want. They have that right. That being said, IF( a big if btw) this narrative is actually true, then shareholders might be a little skittish @ this. Think @ it. When you're investing, you're looking for solid MGMT that positions the company in the best places to make money. If the majority shareholder overrides major marketing decisions based on his own fragile ego, then most would question it. The bigger question is "what other decisions will be made based on 1 guy's ego"?

Warren Buffet's group has a big stake in PFJ. I doubt (could be wrong) that they would look at a sports opinion piece as a good reason to upset a major marketing campaign. Just guessing.
I really like the narrative here. Thanks for sharing.

You do have every right to sever, but if you have any principles at all......
I think Haslam has overall been bad for UT football over the last several years. Don't really follow the Browns. The criticism may or may not be valid.

But what "principle" are you talking about? If the owners of your favorite restaurant began to publicize that you were bad at your job and that people shouldn't give you business... would you continue to go there?

I think Haslam has overall been bad for UT football over the last several years. Don't really follow the Browns. The criticism may or may not be valid.

But what "principle" are you talking about? If the owners of your favorite restaurant began to publicize that you were bad at your job and that people shouldn't give you business... would you continue to go there?
I'm speaking of the troubles at Pilot and the employees going to jail over what transpired.

That's a different subject. Valid... but not what I was speaking to.
The writer at-large and the NFL know about his past business dealings, and you do realize that his history had an impact on why this story was written, right?

SIAP, but he isn't pulling his donations from UT. He is pulling the SEC network sponsorship by proxy. SECN is owned by ESPN is it not?

That’s fair and I get it, but for an established brand what good does it do? Is it close to preaching to the choir?

The commercial didn’t didn’t get me to buy a Pontiac, it was Donnie Hatcher’s price. Granted his advertising for his dealership got me to drive there and check it out. It was worth it. Newer car for less money. He forced me to buy from him.

Ever hear of a toothpaste brand called "Pepsodent?" Their jingle, "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent." They used to be a solid #2 competitor of probably the #1 toothpaste brand in the USA, Colgate #1 to this day. Guess which one cut it's advertising budget? There are a myriad of similar examples.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Ever hear of a toothpaste brand called "Pepsodent?" Their jingle, "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent." They used to be a solid #2 competitor of probably the #1 toothpaste brand in the USA, Colgate #1 to this day. Guess which one cut it's advertising budget? There are a myriad of similar examples.
I’m not saying that advertising hasn’t worked in the past. I’m just asking if they are getting the bang for their buck like it’s still 1950. Are more people going out and buying Pepsi because of the Super Bowl commercial? Or is it the same ones buying their same favorite drink?

I do know it works on kids. Every commercial that plays with Puppy Dog Pals, if it’s a girl toy the girl twin wants it, if it’s a boy’s toy the boy twin wants it. Of course they are equally discusted by what the other one wants.

I’m not saying that advertising hasn’t worked in the past. I’m just asking if they are getting the bang for their buck like it’s still 1950. Are more people going out and buying Pepsi because of the Super Bowl commercial? Or is it the same ones buying their same favorite drink?

I do know it works on kids. Every commercial that plays with Puppy Dog Pals, if it’s a girl toy the girl twin wants it, if it’s a boy’s toy the boy twin wants it. Of course they are equally discusted by what the other one wants.

Big Pharma seems to think its worth the effort.

Reactions: Remy
Big Pharma seems to think its worth the effort.
Big Pharma develops new drugs and can only make the big bucks up until the generic comes out.

I get advertising new stuff and educating folks on things, but what commercial will get a Coke drinker to drink Pepsi?

Big Pharma develops new drugs and can only make the big bucks up until the generic comes out.

I get advertising new stuff and educating folks on things, but what commercial will get a Coke drinker to drink Pepsi?

Trust me Coke and Pepsi both have the data and understands what percentage of each customer base can be persuaded to use other products. The advertising depending on how sophisticated they want to be with it at a large multinational like they both are likely is tailored to various types of customers, I know a few years back, targeting the Hispanic communities were a big thing for large companies. Keeping their existing ones as well a strolling for new ones is a science to them. The effectiveness is measured and when it's not doing what it is supposed to do, tt's very common to see big corporations move to a different agency to get the results they demand. But don;t think for a minute Pepsi and Coke both who probably spend billions on advertising worldwide let go of that kind of money because it doesn't work or is not effective.

Reactions: Crew
There is much more behind the scenes to be told. The dogs are sniffing, and he's becoming even more nervous. Thus, he uses his power and money to pull the plug and tell ESPN to stay away. I highly doubt he had no knowledge of "the scheme" publicly known within his company, but I could be wrong.
Are the wagons circling and the Haslams getting ready to bail town? If what the poster said is true lil Jimmy better be scared he might end up in prison...if that did happen does Dee run the Browns or they would be forced to sell??

Trust me Coke and Pepsi both have the data and understands what percentage of each customer base can be persuaded to use other products. The advertising depending on how sophisticated they want to be with it at a large multinational like they both are likely is tailored to various types of customers, I know a few years back, targeting the Hispanic communities were a big thing for large companies. Keeping their existing ones as well a strolling for new ones is a science to them. The effectiveness is measured and when it's not doing what it is supposed to do, tt's very common to see big corporations move to a different agency to get the results they demand. But don;t think for a minute Pepsi and Coke both who probably spend billions on advertising worldwide let go of that kind of money because it doesn't work or is not effective.
It’s in the budget so they “have” to spend it or the budget gets cut. I’m open to new ideas and trying new things, but come on, who is smoking Camel Blues and is going to switch to Virginia Ultra Slims in the Pink Purse Pack(Purple Pocket Pack) based on advertising?

VN Store

Back