Has anyone heard

You said it. Professional sports. In that frame, Joe Milton should ask to be traded?
Golf is an “eat what you kill” sport. Your earnings are determined my your success….. But Tiger had $8 million in the bank from endorsements before he swung his first club as a pro.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Golf is an “eat what you kill” sport. Your earnings are determined my your success….. But Tiger had $8 million in the bank from endorsements before he swung his first club as a pro.

That’s fair, once in a generation player and I don’t follow golf.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
That’s fair, once in a generation player and I don’t follow golf.
That's very true.... but my point is NIL is more akin to professional endorsements not a players salary. Plenty of professionals make millions of dollars before they have any success. Having said all that, we all know these NIL collectives are not about actual endorsements. It's pay to play.

That's very true.... but my point is NIL is more akin to professional endorsements not a players salary. Plenty of professionals make millions of dollars before they have any success. Having said all that, we all know these NIL collectives are not about actual endorsements. It's pay to play.

No argument from me on this, even if some have the right intent. Walter Byers took issue with his own creation…after it had gotten too big to fail, which it predictably did. Again, all for players and parents having an easier go of things in order to get a degree. In this particular thread and on this subject, where baseball is not a driving force, I don’t blame the kids, nor the parents, coaches pay at the college level is crazy, Don’t blame anyone, just call it what is. If Nico is the 2nd highest paid man on campus before taking a class or a snap, good for him.

I just doubt it’s true.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
No argument from me on this, even if some have the right intent. Walter Byers took issue with his own creation…after it had gotten too big to fail, which it predictably did. Again, all for players and parents having an easier go of things in order to get a degree. In this particular thread and on this subject, where baseball is not a driving force, I don’t blame the kids, nor the parents, coaches pay at the college level is crazy, Don’t blame anyone, just call it what is. If Nico is the 2nd highest paid man on campus before taking a class or a snap, good for him.

I just doubt it’s true.
Although money has been ruining college sports for years, I think NIL will finish off college sports as we know them in not too many years.

Although money has been ruining college sports for years, I think NIL will finish off college sports as we know them in not too many years.

Which is why it is hilarious when people say, “ESPN hates us.”

Reactions: txbo
I do not know that this is affecting our team, but it could be. Having been around college sports for a while one of the big problems is guys begin to get in their own head about the draft whether it is this year or next year. They start feeling pressure as they don’t succeed the way they think they should or feel the need to succeed to a certain level, and as you know pressure builds to pressure builds to more pressure. I know of a kid who was supposed to be a first round draft, pick a few years ago as a pitcher and struggled and ended up not even starting by mid season because he could not handle the pressure that he was putting on himself and those around him, putting it on him, not his teammates but the people who were supposed to be his supporters.

Without revealing my association with the MILB for various reasons, I can tell you that kids in that situation rarely make it in the pros long-term. The pressure only mounts the further they progress through the system. Many players have the talent to play at the higher levels, but only a small percentage can handle it mentally. That separates a lot of guys.

Until it progresses I’m going to keep my possibly naive opinion that we had a bad series. I will say thus far that this team doesn’t appear to be as good as last year’s.

Some of us tried to warn others the NIL and transfer portals would be a long term issue. And they will.

Reactions: Titan05
When your winning amd the vibes or high NIL prolly not that big of an ordeal... But when you ain't winning I Def can see it being a locker room issue... Just too much going on with kids and college as it is... Should have been a better structure with NIL IMO

Reactions: livefaith
Seems like we always try and point to a reason for not performing well - an issue in the locker room, NIL, weather being a few coming up here lately. Maybe our team is just not as good. Or the other team (Missouri) is just better, regardless of pre-season predictions. If NIL is an issue, the SEC head coaches are being paid a considerable amount to figure it out and learn how to deal with it. And to some points made by others.......when you are winning NIL and everything else fans complain about are not an issue. If most of us were honest we would not have liked the behavior last year at all, but gave it a pass because we were so good. If this season continues to underwhelm, watch how many people come here and complain about CTV's short fuse and always getting tossed, and other antics we saw from the team going back to last year. Winning cures all.

Reactions: livefaith
The coaches and people within the program will need to collaborate with their NFL, MLB, NBA counterparts for advice on how those situations are dealt with at the professional level.

I just finished reading the autobiography of Dr. J this week. I'm old. 😃 But, one notable thing late in the book is how he described his last few years in the league and how pro BB started transforming. Doc was a 12 or 13 yr vet when Charles Barkley came in. He described it as a shift in eras where the players basically began to do what they wanted because they were more popular and powerful than the coaches. It was completely foreign to a vet like Erving. Now today players totally rule and they basically determine the course of the franchise. If Lebron or KDs coach was replaced, would it even make the news?

The tail is wagging the dog and collegiate sports is trending in that same direction folks.

Seems like we always try and point to a reason for not performing well - an issue in the locker room, NIL, weather being a few coming up here lately. Maybe our team is just not as good. Or the other team (Missouri) is just better, regardless of pre-season predictions. If NIL is an issue, the SEC head coaches are being paid a considerable amount to figure it out and learn how to deal with it. And to some points made by others.......when you are winning NIL and everything else fans complain about are not an issue. If most of us were honest we would not have liked the behavior last year at all, but gave it a pass because we were so good. If this season continues to underwhelm, watch how many people come here and complain about CTV's short fuse and always getting tossed, and other antics we saw from the team going back to last year. Winning cures all.

You are not wrong.

From Ben McKee: Asked Tony Vitello if grit and determination was an issue against Missouri: As far as competing I don’t think that was an issue. If anything it spilled over where there was arguments or guys saying stuff they shouldn’t say. Just a little bit going overboard the other way.

From Ben McKee: Asked Tony Vitello if grit and determination was an issue against Missouri: As far as competing I don’t think that was an issue. If anything it spilled over where there was arguments or guys saying stuff they shouldn’t say. Just a little bit going overboard the other way.

That doesn't sound too good. Am I reading that right....does that make it seem there's legs to the thread topic? Granted, I've got a beer or two in me....so perhaps I'm off base (no pun intended).

VN Store

Back