Harsh truth

I’m not all in on the coaching hire. Who was really going to take this job. We’ve been garbage for 15 years, run through head and assistant coaches more then you can count, about to be destroyed with sanctions. Why would and big name coach come here?
ie: this isn’t the 90s, forget about that, we are the bad news beads of the SEC.
Given that information above. Who would have actually taken this job?
I’m not familiar with the “bad news beads.” Is that some new line of jewelry?

I’m not all in on the coaching hire. Who was really going to take this job. We’ve been garbage for 15 years, run through head and assistant coaches more then you can count, about to be destroyed with sanctions. Why would and big name coach come here?
ie: this isn’t the 90s, forget about that, we are the bad news beads of the SEC.

Nobody knows what sanctions we will get nor is it a given that we get nailed. I'm betting it won't be near as bad as some think.

Did you just recover from covid?

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
For comparison to the following, CJH was TE coach for Arizona for a year before serving as OU's QB coach for 4 years before being promoted to their OC for 3 years. He spent a year at Utah St as OC before becoming Mizzou's OC for two years. He then got his shot at UCF.

His resume compares well to all of the following. It doesn't mean he will succeed... only that these "homerun hires"... didn't have homerun resumes when hired.

Freeze at Ole Miss
So you think his resume was better than Heupel's when he got the Ole Miss job? In 2004, he was HC at Briarcrest. He got a position coach job for 2 year at Ole Miss. He was the HC at an NAIA school for 2 years before becoming the OC at Arkansas St. He was HC the next year and then got the Ole Miss job. The sum of his experience was 12 years as a HS coach, 2 years as a position coach, one year as an OC, one year as an NAIA HC, and one year as a group of 5 HC.
Freeze at Liberty
We all know why Freeze is at Liberty...
Norvell at Memphis
Norvell's resume going into Memphis was no more impressive than Heupel's going to UCF... and his resume leaving was no better than Heupel's. His FSU record wasn't exactly great either.
Frost at UCF
Pretty comparable to CJH when he got the UCF job. He'd been a position coach for 3 years at Oregon then OC for 3 years. Oddly he was a defensive coach at N Iowa before that. that was something interesting I didn't realize.
Dan Mullen at Mississippi State
He didn't have a great resume when he got that job. He had been a QB coach for two years each at BGSU and Utah under Meyer. Meyer promoted him to OC for 3 years at UF then he got his shot at MSU.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Your Memphis opinions follow you around. Only Mullen is a decent coach out of those losers
Interesting enough... I believe that Mullen and Heupel are the only ones in that group who have success as a Power 5 OC on their resumes.

Oh good. Another one of these threads.

This turnaround is going to take 5 years for sure. It will take all of us from casual fans to boosters to students and faculty and janitors on campus. You should hear a “GO BigOrange” or “Go Vols” all over campus in passing people. Recruits on campus should know it is really a family and everyone is bought in! Being a member of the Big Orange nation requires dedication to get us back to where we should be among the elite in college sports.

Reactions: Raebo
At this point I don’t even care about being a major player in the SEC anymore. It’s become clear that UT had its moment in the sun and that time has passed. I’d honestly settle for simply no longer being a national embarrassment and finally having a modicum of stability within the program. If Heupel can just bring an exciting offense, a decent program, and the occasional upset, I won’t complain.

This turnaround is going to take 5 years for sure. It will take all of us from casual fans to boosters to students and faculty and janitors on campus. You should hear a “GO BigOrange” or “Go Vols” all over campus in passing people. Recruits on campus should know it is really a family and everyone is bought in! Being a member of the Big Orange nation requires dedication to get us back to where we should be among the elite in college sports.
The cultural reboot of this program will take years to complete. The in state recruiting is a tough pull for us right now. Heupel has been described as a genuinely nice guy. Maybe that’ll help mend some fences, as the last 4 coaches were all very arrogant in one way or the other.

For comparison to the following, CJH was TE coach for Arizona for a year before serving as OU's QB coach for 4 years before being promoted to their OC for 3 years. He spent a year at Utah St as OC before becoming Mizzou's OC for two years. He then got his shot at UCF.

His resume compares well to all of the following. It doesn't mean he will succeed... only that these "homerun hires"... didn't have homerun resumes when hired.

So you think his resume was better than Heupel's when he got the Ole Miss job? In 2004, he was HC at Briarcrest. He got a position coach job for 2 year at Ole Miss. He was the HC at an NAIA school for 2 years before becoming the OC at Arkansas St. He was HC the next year and then got the Ole Miss job. The sum of his experience was 12 years as a HS coach, 2 years as a position coach, one year as an OC, one year as an NAIA HC, and one year as a group of 5 HC.
We all know why Freeze is at Liberty...
Norvell's resume going into Memphis was no more impressive than Heupel's going to UCF... and his resume leaving was no better than Heupel's. His FSU record wasn't exactly great either.
Pretty comparable to CJH when he got the UCF job. He'd been a position coach for 3 years at Oregon then OC for 3 years. Oddly he was a defensive coach at N Iowa before that. that was something interesting I didn't realize.
He didn't have a great resume when he got that job. He had been a QB coach for two years each at BGSU and Utah under Meyer. Meyer promoted him to OC for 3 years at UF then he got his shot at MSU.

Your logic would say the Urban Meyer, Dabo Sweeney, and Nick Saban would no be home run hires because they were once not home run hires.

At this point I don’t even care about being a major player in the SEC anymore. It’s become clear that UT had its moment in the sun and that time has passed. I’d honestly settle for simply no longer being a national embarrassment and finally having a modicum of stability within the program. If Heupel can just bring an exciting offense, a decent program, and the occasional upset, I won’t complain.
Forever is a long time, and I don’t want to be Ole Miss or Minnesota. But given the fact we are one of the worst SEC teams over the past 10 years, a lot will have to change for us to be a consistent Top 20 program.

I do think White and Heupel have a plan. And it’s going to involve doing the opposite for a while. The cultural flush will take a few years. But I expect exciting, competitive football right away, even if we remain have a mediocre record the first couple of years.

Reactions: orangepridenation

Im on the opposite side..

I think Heupel may be the guy and am looking forward to the QB development likely to happen and the offenses that know how to score.

Also looking forward to a defense that can stop a slant.

A team that doesnt commit penalties at the very worst momments.

Im looking forward to O-linemen that are better as juniors tham they were as freshmen.

While CJH wasnt the hire i hoped for i do think he is capable of doing well here. I also believe he is a vast improvement over CJP.

Time will tell but after a couple of weeks i feel pretty good about the hire and the future of UT football.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
Does every person that didn't like the hire have to make a thread telling us they didn't like it??

What's sad is, if Heupel brings us back they will be like some negas on Lady Vol BB thread. Saying I wasn't on the band wagon with Kellie Jolly Harper hire BUT beating the number 2 team that had won 31 straight SEC games is getting me there BUT we have blown a couple games we should have won earlier this year. In other words they love being miserable it's their life, They will always put a negative spin on their quotes or if things get to good they will not post at all.

The harsh truth is, it isn’t the 90’s and if we were the same as the 90’s we’d still be getting our brains beat out! The game has changed and we stuck with a defensive Fulmer clone that wants to run an archaic offense. We have for a change an offensive guru that’s put up great numbers everywhere he’s been, and put 50 points on us in 2016 at Mizzou, and all some want to do is bitch and live in the past. Unbelievable!
And the other harsh truth is everybody is better and it's much, much harder to win. Back then there were a few good teams. The entire Western SEC totally sucked. It was us and UF. Even still we barely beat the other teams even though most were barely interested in football.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and Raebo
I’m all for the coach we are hired. Best given the circumstances was the main point. As far as not being a TN fan because they’ve been garbage? That’s stupid.

First post: “I’m not all in on the coaching hire”

Second post: “I’m all for the coach we hired”

Trolling for likes, pandering for attention. Old and tired.

Reactions: PNW Huskie

VN Store

Back