Harrison Bailey: Is he benefitting from exceptional talent around him? Or is he the real deal?

TennesseeVol2006

I don’t follow recruiting as much as many of the folks on here.

I saw a fan of another school on Reddit’s CFB forum say that Harrison Bailey isn’t as good as advertised and that he has benefitted from D1 talent playing with him.

I looked into it and was disappointed to find out well over half his offensive production was to two main targets: one being a 6’5 250 lb 5* tight end recruit going to LSU. The other WR was committed to Michigan State.

I haven’t watched any film or anything.

Should we be worried?

I saw a fan of another school on Reddit’s CFB forum say that Harrison Bailey isn’t as good as advertised and that he has benefitted from D1 talent playing with him.

I looked into it and was disappointed to find out well over half his offensive production was to two main targets: one being a 6’5 250 lb 5* tight end recruit going to LSU. The other WR was committed to Michigan State.

Should we be worried?
No worries.

The TE and WR were only good because of Bailey throwing to them;)

Should we be worried?
Well over half???? Damn. Thats alot between 2 players

The only game I saw him in was at the beginning of the season and there were Power 5 commits all over the field on both teams. And in that game he was clearly the best player on the field, IMO.

So that makes me think he's capable of playing at a higher level then most first year college QBs. Usually you worry that an incoming recruit may have only looked like a blue chipper because of weak competition in high school. I think Bailey is more battle-tested than most.

The only game I saw him in was at the beginning of the season and there were Power 5 commits all over the field on both teams. And in that game he was clearly the best player on the field, IMO.

So that makes me think he's capable of playing at a higher level then most first year college QBs. Usually you worry that an incoming recruit may have only looked like a blue chipper because of weak competition in high school. I think Bailey is more battle-tested than most.

Good stuff.

Would have been nice to see him in the allAmerican game.

Having a big tight end to throw to though really is key.

They had like 1800 and 1500 yards each respectively.

Then it dropped off pretty significantly.

What did other big time recruits distribution look like in high school?

I just know that my old HS had a FCS QB and 3 WR's (Purdue, Charlotte, and Northwestern). Those three had the vast majority of the 3,000 yrds.

Reactions: Hacksaw

Should we be worried?

You mean to tell me that the 2 best receivers on his team had the most catches for the most yards?? Clearly he’s overrated.
EBCA967D-BA80-4B17-9CAE-91DF0C6515BE.gif

I watched the All Star game where they just literally destroyed the overmatched team from Washington....there were lots of YAC but he was also on time with his throws and very comfortable in the pocket...my hope is that JG can start and Bailey can learn and get some mop up duty and either start in 2021 or second half of next year

Reactions: rbjnet

Should we be worried?
Yes. Don’t count on sleeping. Research an appropriate recreational drug.

Reactions: Sudden Impact

Should we be worried?

Have not seen him play or watched any film but I have those concerns about any player headed to any school if they've had the luxury of being surround by top talent. So.... not worried but understand what you're saying.

I saw a fan of another school on Reddit’s CFB forum say that Harrison Bailey isn’t as good as advertised and that he has benefitted from D1 talent playing with him...I looked into it and was disappointed to find out well over half his offensive production was to two main targets: one being a 6’5 250 lb 5* tight end recruit going to LSU. The other WR was committed to Michigan State...Should we be worried?

Disappointed about what? Worried about what? I'm confused; logic dictates that a team's most-lethal weapons should be utilized to the fullest. Bailey is a bona fide 5-star talent who happened to have an exceptionally strong supporting cast; he's certainly not a product of his talented teammates. Having an arsenal like Gilbert, White, Taji Johnson (847 yards & 10 TDs) & Kimani Vidal just allowed Bailey to show off his superb skills, and it makes sense that he mostly threw the ball their way rather than to some scrawny sophomore who runs a 5.1 40.

Note that Bailey completed over 77% of his passes during the 7A playoffs and in Marietta's bowl game, and that's with quite a few drops by his receivers. He shredded some of the toughest HS football teams in football and almost appeared to be toying with them at times; he made it look that easy.

And then there's this tidbit from last summer:
Tennessee’s quarterback commit in the 2020 recruiting class, four-star Harrison Bailey, turned a lot of heads during the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge this week. In fact, he did so well that he won the MVP award for the quarterback position at the event. More than 100 prospects in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes showed up to participate in the Five-Star Challenge, and there were several quarterbacks at the camp. But none of them looked more consistently impressive than Bailey. According to Woody Wommack of Rivals, Bailey was the best quarterback at the event, performing better than Oklahoma commit and No. 1 overall player in the 2021 class Brock Vandagriff, four-star LSU 2020 commit Max Johnson, four-star USC commit Bryce Young, and others.
Vol QB Commit Stands Out at Five-Star Challenge | Rocky Top Insider

Last edited:

Should we be worried?

The tite end says he is as good as advertised!!!

I wouldn't worry. Rivals loves him and has him as the #2 Pro style QB plus they had a recent article saying he should be upgraded to a 5 star. 247 has him as the #4 Pro style QB. ESPN is the worst rating with him as the #17 Pocket Passer (he's still on their ESPN 300 list) but they also have his offer list and it was everybody from Alabama to LSU to Ohio State (and remember ESPN said Derek Barnett was only the 26th best DE when he signed with UT). Finally, if you've got two receivers who are great D-1 prospects, including the #1 TE, who else are you going to throw to?

Reactions: Hacksaw

Should we be worried?
You looked up the stats of all his receiving targets but didn't watch a 3 minute highlight montage?

Anyway.. We will find out in short order. But, IMO, HB has an accuracy that we haven't had here since Bray, and he's been preparing for the collegiate game since he was in junior high.

Real deal IMO.

Reactions: VolforFootball

VN Store

Back