Harper re-establishing the Lady Vol standard

lvocd

Nothing new in this story off of the first-practice day interview, but I still enjoy seeing these links to positive stories about the Lady Vols popping up in my in-box.

Kellie Harper is Working on Re-Establishing the Lady Vol Standard | RTI

Excerpt:
She does so by making drills competitive with winners and losers just to emphasize that winning and competing in each drill is important. The coaching staff is closely monitoring whether the team is sprinting up and down the floor and whether they’re being very disciplined in, for instance, a box-out.

For Harper and company, being competitive and disciplined must happen every second spent on the floor.

Nothing new in this story off of the first-practice day interview, but I still enjoy seeing these links to positive stories about the Lady Vols popping up in my in-box.

Excerpt:
She does so by making drills competitive with winners and losers just to emphasize that winning and competing in each drill is important. The coaching staff is closely monitoring whether the team is sprinting up and down the floor and whether they’re being very disciplined in, for instance, a box-out.

For Harper and company, being competitive and disciplined must happen every second spent on the floor.

Drills with winners are most often won by the same kid nearly consistently
I like
Drills where my athlete competes with past times or performances,,,Can they better personal bests?

Excerpt:

That last head coach of the Lady Vols basketball must have been really BAD!!!! I forget the name...

It’s a sad day when someone falls apart over a recruiting cycle that hasn’t even culminated yet.

Over time the transfer portal will eventually diminish the signing of stellar recruiting classes. The portal is become an equalizer—benefiting some schools, betraying others. College coaches have 3 classes from which to recruit now: the H.S. seniors, the JC ranks, and the portal.

Kellie Harper had the girls looking good this Friday night. First the new girls, the biggest surprise was Tamari Key that girl can play ball. The next was Jaiden McCoy she might be in the starting lineup. Jordan Horston is fast and can drive, Jessie Rennie played some nice defense. Emily Saunders is going to need some work. Rennia Davis will be the star of the team but will have a lot of help. Kasiyahna Kushkituah she played hard tonight and will play a lot. Zaay Green will be hard to stop. Jazmine Massengill played a solid game with an nice shot. Rae Burrell looked good but they only played 10 minutes for all 12 girls to share. They moved the ball around nicely. I got Kellie to signed my I back Pat shirt. Got all the girls on the team to sign my paperexcept 3. Could have gotten all but was stuck in traffic for over an hour from Chattanooga and I was late. In all it was a great night.
As always go Lady Vol's.

Kellie Harper had the girls looking good this Friday night. First the new girls, the biggest surprise was Tamari Key that girl can play ball. The next was Jaiden McCoy she might be in the starting lineup. Jordan Horston is fast and can drive, Jessie Rennie played some nice defense. Emily Saunders is going to need some work. Rennia Davis will be the star of the team but will have a lot of help. Kasiyahna Kushkituah she played hard tonight and will play a lot. Zaay Green will be hard to stop. Jazmine Massengill played a solid game with an nice shot. Rae Burrell looked good but they only played 10 minutes for all 12 girls to share. They moved the ball around nicely. I got Kellie to signed my I back Pat shirt. Got all the girls on the team to sign my paperexcept 3. Could have gotten all but was stuck in traffic for over an hour from Chattanooga and I was late. In all it was a great night.
As always go Lady Vol's.

Thanks so much for that fine report. I am particularly happy to hear that you were impressed by Jaiden McCoy. I have high hopes for her.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Notes from the Rocky Top Tip-Off | Rocky Top Insider

Kellie Harper’s first-year Lady Vols team took the court first. Harper rotated five girls in-and-out hockey style as they scrimmaged against student managers. The first five Lady Vols on the floor for Harper consisted of Jazmine Massengill, Zaay Green, Rennia Davis, Jaiden McCoy, and Kasiyahna Kushkituah. Harper’s first five substitutes were Jessie Rennie, Jordan Horston, Rae Burrell, Kamara Harris, and Tamari Key. Freshman Emily Saunders rotated in as well.
Senior forward Lou Brown, who missed all of last season due to a torn ACL, did not participate as she continues to work back from the injury.

There wasn’t much to take away in this setting, but here are a couple of tidbits from the Lady Vols 10-minute scrimmage in front of the fans.

• It took the offense a couple of minutes to get going and get the ball through the net. Davis scored the first points of the scrimmage. Ultimately the score ended up being 28-13 in the Lady Vols’ favor.
  • Harper was fiery. It was a simple scrimmage for the fans, but the Lady Vols new head coach was treating it as if it were an NCAA Tournament game.
  • Massengill had a nice block from behind in the paint.
  • Massengill also made a really nice pass in transition to Green for an easy bucket.
  • Burrell had two really nice drives to the basket that resulted in points.
  • The Lady Vols even trotted out the full court press. It worked a couple of times, but Harper was also frustrated at times with how slowly her younger players set up the press.
  • Horston, the highly-touted freshman, impressed with her length and athleticism. She got to the rim with ease and created chaos on defense, but you could still tell she’s a freshman. Horston had a really nice floater in the paint.
The Lady Vols’ first regular season game will be against East Tennessee State in Johnson City on Nov. 5 at 7 p.m. ET. Their first home game will be against Central Arkansas on Nov. 7 after hosting Carson-Newman on Oct. 29 in their lone exhibition game.

As always go Lady Vol's.

Thanks so much, Ladyvol777, for such a detailed, report, especially given the allotted court time, and that wonderful Friday evening traffic!
I share lvocd's enthusiasm about Jaiden McCoy; she appears very confident and mature.
But, the most-promising analysis concerns Jesse Rennie's defense, which is, for most, the primary concern as to whether she gets much court time. *Incidentally, she appears a bit taller than her listed 5'6."

And, the best to you and your daughter during these next few turbulent weeks.

VN Store

Back