Harper contact extension

Holly wasn't the answer. Kellie may or may not be. Time will tell.

The one thing that seems certain is that UT was not going to empty the bank to bring in one of the handful of coaching legends whose marquee names would instantly attract top recruits. Most were (and still are) arttached to their schools for life, and many of the other names most frequently bandied about had baggage and/or are facing their own challenges these days.
Well said. Thanks.

Look at the bright side Basketball fans - if making the Sweet 16 is the bar for an extension, looks like Rick B. is never going to get one...HAHAHAHA

I'm ok with the one year extension. Danny White sees that Coach Kellie struggles with recruiting so why not try to help her out a little with a little extra time on paper?
Decent move if you ask me.

This is a pipe dream of mine, but in my perfect idealistic world, a supportive AD would show public support with an extension that would help recruiting...while the head coach who loved and appreciated his/her university would forego the buyout amount if things didn't work out as planned. Good faith on both parts.

I mean, if all involved agreed that a change was necessary, it's not unheard of (although rare) for athletes to hold their own paychecks to a higher standard than their contract would entitle them to. And it's not like the head coaches at schools such as Tennessee are hurting for money if they realized average investment returns.

ETSU's new head coach, Brenda Mock Brown, just achieved a remarkable first-year turnaround and won COY as voted by her conferenced perrs. This year's team beat Vandy and set a buch of school records. Her contract was for $180K. Still a lot of money by my standards, but nowhere near what Kellie makes. In fact, it's barely more than what Jon makes.

The point is, egos and future job impact set aside, it's always refreshing to see integrity override self-interest when people can do what's best for everyone when the time comes (as it will for even the best). Just leaves a great impressions, restores faith in humanity, eases pain of separation and diminishes hard feelings, and leaves legacies intact.

Both and although that poster says this all the time, it's an exaggeraton that PS was completely incapcitated her last two yrs.
Here is a fun stat :

At no point during Pat Summitt's tenure was Tennessee ever more than 5 years removed from an NCAA Tournament Final Four appearance (the first NCAA sanctioned women's basketball tournament was held in 1982).

We are now 15 years removed from our last Final Four.

Both and although that poster says this all the time, it's an exaggeraton that PS was completely incapcitated her last two yrs.
How so? Was she the Pat Summitt that was at the top of her game or was she fading away during that time? It’s not an exaggeration, it’s unfortunate. I give Demoss credit when she was here, she loses credit when the machine kept going.

Well said. Thanks.
She needs to upgrade her assistant coaches we all know the assistants do most or all in some cases of groundwork for recruiting.If Harper could get a couple of great recruiters she would look like 2nd coming of Pat Summitt,if it wasn't for Mickie Demoss recruiting her ass off for Pat who knows what would have happened

Agree that Holly faced the typical pressure that any coach encounters when folowing a legend. And Kellie had nowhere to go but up.

The flipside of that coin is that Holly was a longstanding part of the championship infrastructure that was there when she took over. TN was still getting the elite recruits coveted by everyone else. Holly knew and had recruited tge players. And in Pat's fibal year, Holly did the bulk of the in-game coaching in what was essentially an audition for the head job.

Kellue inherited some talented young players, but the program was in total disarray. She had to re-recruit the pkayers who weren't already out the door and rebuild a culture that was shot.

Both coaches had tough although different challenges. But one telling factor is that this was Holly's one and only gig as a head coach, and that will likely remain the case. Maybe Holly is one of that rare, one-school breed of athlete who can only be loyal to one school. Maybe she turned down offers to leave Tennessee and take on a head job as Mickie DeMoss did. Maybe she's had offers since leaving the UT job. Regardless, it seems Harper has more head coach DNA in her than Warlick, which isc not meant to take away from Holly's attributes as contributions as a fine assistant coach.

Kellie has to prove that she can close the deal on some game-changers until more elite help arrives while keeping younger and role players satisfied. A lot of coaches are discovering how difficult that is these days, as Auriemma lamented about in his viral video address about the cutrent "me" generation of players.
Good post creekdipper.

Reactions: creekdipper
Connecticut hasn't seen an NCAA title since 2016. Complacency maybe. Not enough attention to detail to get over that hump. Maybe a new more energetic coach is needed? Who knows.......

FYI, last two seasons had injuries to major players at Uconn, to the extent that a freshman was the go to player in 21-22. the year 20-21 was Covid. The prior two years players disappeared in big games. Geno does not shoot lay ups and is pretty close to retirement.

FYI, last two seasons had injuries to major players at Uconn, to the extent that a freshman was the go to player in 21-22. the year 20-21 was Covid. The prior two years players disappeared in big games. Geno does not shoot lay ups and is pretty close to retirement.
Amazing how he can use injuries as a reasoning and Kellie can't! Again, amazing how the needle moves around here!

I don't read this as the AD is totally sold on KJH but do agree with those posters who think it was a good decision to give her a small extension to give her the opportunity to recruit and see where she is in 2 yrs. An extension doesn't mean you can't let someone go, just costs you more $. I think if she maintains the level as is she will be fine for now. White has bigger things to accomplish than the LV program right now.

She needs to upgrade her assistant coaches we all know the assistants do most or all in some cases of groundwork for recruiting.If Harper could get a couple of great recruiters she would look like 2nd coming of Pat Summitt,if it wasn't for Mickie Demoss recruiting her ass off for Pat who knows what would have happened
She already has great assistant coaches the same ones responsible for bring in top talent at previous stops before her. The thing is recruits want to see results. After cleaning up public perception of it being a "toxic" program she's had to try to win. Covid didn't help that. She realized her previous assistants weren't getting it done and encouraged both to pursue jobs elsewhere.

Kids didn't see the thrill of playing for the Lady Vols like they are starting to see because of how we performed/looked Holly's last few years. Recruits and their families are starting to take notice and her being able to land a Rickea Jackson and Jillian Hollingshead in the portal to go with retaining Rickea and Tamari for another season and having back to back sweet 16 appearances have us trending in the right direction whether some of you want to agree or not

Our of the 60 kids listed in the Top 60 of ESPN, only 8 have committed and we just landed the 29th one, not to mention commits from a player in 2025 who will likely be a Top 30 kid and a 2027 who is likely to remain a Top 5.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Amazing how he can use injuries as a reasoning and Kellie can't! Again, amazing how the needle moves around here!
The programs aren’t equal and neither were the injured players. We can continue to fool ourselves. That needle doesn’t seem to move around here. We need to be a powerhouse again! How do we get there? Do we have to face the fact that our AD doesn’t place a priority on WCBB?

I don't read this as the AD is totally sold on KJH but do agree with those posters who think it was a good decision to give her a small extension to give her the opportunity to recruit and see where she is in 2 yrs. An extension doesn't mean you can't let someone go, just costs you more $. I think if she maintains the level as is she will be fine for now. White has bigger things to accomplish than the LV program right now.
I guess this part in bold bothers me a bit.

If you want to argue that we need to provide more support for the program, in terms of NIL money, that's fine. I don't know if that's accurate, but it could be.

However, KJH has had the time necessary (4 years) to build relationships with elite high school players and their families. Her recruitment of high school talent has been almost non-existent.

Reactions: mcannon1 and lfvol
She already has great assistant coaches the same ones responsible for bring in top talent at previous stops before her. The thing is recruits want to see results. After cleaning up public perception of it being a "toxic" program she's had to try to win. Covid didn't help that. She realized her previous assistants weren't getting it done and encouraged both to pursue jobs elsewhere.

Kids didn't see the thrill of playing for the Lady Vols like they are starting to see because of how we performed/looked Holly's last few years. Recruits and their families are starting to take notice and her being able to land a Rickea Jackson and Jillian Hollingshead in the portal to go with retaining Rickea and Tamari for another season and having back to back sweet 16 appearances have us trending in the right direction whether some of you want to agree or not

Our of the 60 kids listed in the Top 60 of ESPN, only 8 have committed and we just landed the 29th one, not to mention commits from a player in 2025 who will likely be a Top 30 kid and a 2027 who is likely to remain a Top 5.
Who her husband lol,and if that's the case explain Zero recruiting class for 2023 and only 1 for next year if she got great recruiters then what they doing and don't give me this portal stuff that is a bidding war not recruiting. 29th rated player decent and South Carolina always getting top 10 players and if your okay with it then so be it.

And Tennessee didn't ? Rae Keyan and then Jordan in 2021 and the loss of Tamari and Marta Suarez early this past season.

I guess this part in bold bothers me a bit.

If you want to argue that we need to provide more support for the program, in terms of NIL money, that's fine. I don't know if that's accurate, but it could be.

However, KJH has had the time necessary (4 years) to build relationships with elite high school players and their families. Her recruitment of high school talent has been almost non-existent.

Don't disagree with your last sentence. Maybe the extension has nothing to do with the opportunity to recruit but she can't say she was not given time to turn the program around if she was ever terminated. Maybe the AD does think she is doing a fine job, the fans base will never agree 100% on that, and he can concentrate on other things. Who knows his reasons but it settles the short term issue on her future at TN for now.

From UTSPORTS

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – After the 2022-23 Lady Vol basketball team advanced to the SEC Tournament championship game and became one of only seven programs to reach the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of the past two years, Tennessee Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Danny White announced on Monday that he and Kellie Harper have agreed in principle on a contract extension through the 2027-28 season.

Harper, who recently completed her fourth season at her alma mater, guided the UT women to their highest overall (25) and SEC (13) victory totals since 2014-15. She also produced a WNBA first round draft pick for the third consecutive campaign, a feat only three other active women's coaches and 10 all-time (including Harper and Pat Summitt) have achieved.

"Including her tenure at Missouri State, Kellie has guided her teams to three of the past four NCAA Sweet 16s," White said. "She's among an elite group of coaches in achieving that, and it didn't happen by accident. The Lady Vols have a strong program culture, visible player development, a commitment to excellence and intentional leadership in place, and I look forward to watching our program continue to rise under her leadership."

One of only two coaches ever to lead four different women's programs to the NCAA Tournament, Harper carded the 15th postseason appearance during her 19 years as a head coach. She kept Tennessee perfect in NCAA Tournament berths with its 41st this season, and she heads the only program to appear in every single tourney held.

"I couldn't be more thankful for the belief and trust Danny and Tennessee have placed in me and my staff to lead the Lady Vol program where we all want to go," Harper said. "The journey to the top isn't easy, but I'm really proud of the investment our players have displayed in pursuing our goals and fighting through some adversity along the way.

"By playing in the 2023 SEC Tournament title game and advancing to regionals, we have built a solid foundation for next season. I can't wait to see what we can achieve together during the years ahead."

Congrats to Harper on the extension.

The programs aren’t equal and neither were the injured players. We can continue to fool ourselves. That needle doesn’t seem to move around here. We need to be a powerhouse again! How do we get there? Do we have to face the fact that our AD doesn’t place a priority on WCBB?

Our fans need to face reality. We will likely never reach another FF. The Sweet 16 is our ceiling just like it is with the men's team with Rick Barnes as coach. It is what it is.

Why? It's great to win, but is it really necessary to our happiness? If you require a "powerhouse" to make you happy, then I suspect that you are going to be unhappy most of the time. Sad.
Yes it’s necessary for my sports happiness, for my life in general no. I’m a fan. I want my team to dominate!! Anything else is a let down. You can pet your puppy and paint rainbows. Give me Lady Vols dominance instead!!!!!

VN Store

Back