Harper contact extension

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
From UTSPORTS

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – After the 2022-23 Lady Vol basketball team advanced to the SEC Tournament championship game and became one of only seven programs to reach the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of the past two years, Tennessee Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Danny White announced on Monday that he and Kellie Harper have agreed in principle on a contract extension through the 2027-28 season.

Harper, who recently completed her fourth season at her alma mater, guided the UT women to their highest overall (25) and SEC (13) victory totals since 2014-15. She also produced a WNBA first round draft pick for the third consecutive campaign, a feat only three other active women's coaches and 10 all-time (including Harper and Pat Summitt) have achieved.

"Including her tenure at Missouri State, Kellie has guided her teams to three of the past four NCAA Sweet 16s," White said. "She's among an elite group of coaches in achieving that, and it didn't happen by accident. The Lady Vols have a strong program culture, visible player development, a commitment to excellence and intentional leadership in place, and I look forward to watching our program continue to rise under her leadership."

One of only two coaches ever to lead four different women's programs to the NCAA Tournament, Harper carded the 15th postseason appearance during her 19 years as a head coach. She kept Tennessee perfect in NCAA Tournament berths with its 41st this season, and she heads the only program to appear in every single tourney held.

"I couldn't be more thankful for the belief and trust Danny and Tennessee have placed in me and my staff to lead the Lady Vol program where we all want to go," Harper said. "The journey to the top isn't easy, but I'm really proud of the investment our players have displayed in pursuing our goals and fighting through some adversity along the way.

"By playing in the 2023 SEC Tournament title game and advancing to regionals, we have built a solid foundation for next season. I can't wait to see what we can achieve together during the years ahead."

Its seems that the AD thinks Kellie is doing a great job with the LadyVols. Apparently, he cares nothing about the prestige of the past teams, and what is occurring now with the programs recruiting is good enough for him. He is a football guy, and that's what he really cares about, not to mention he would have to fork over more dollars for a really good WBB coach. I would be scared if she retains all the assistants she has now, which means nothing is going to get better in the near future. Sorry.

Contracts are not what they used to be and only guarantee the money to the coach if fired. Hollys final contract was to expire last season and she’s been gone for awhile.

Last edited:
Its seems that the AD thinks Kellie is doing a great job with the LadyVols. Apparently, he cares nothing about the prestige of the past teams, and what is occurring now with the programs recruiting is good enough for him. He is a football guy, and that's what he really cares about, not to mention he would have to fork over more dollars for a really good WBB coach. I would be scared if she retains all the assistants she has now, which means nothing is going to get better in the near future. Sorry.
The terms of this agreement hasn't been finalized yet it sounds. Wonder how much of a raise she will get:)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Mistake in my opinion. But she’s earned it with the back to back s16. That will be this teams ceiling under her I’m afraid .
1 of 7 coaches to get her team back to a sweet 16 in consecutive years. It isn't 1997 anymore and there are more than 3 or 4 schools that can compete. The Declared and undisputed national champion before the season started was South Carolina with possible competition from Uconn or Stanford. We saw how that worked out for all three.

1 of 7 coaches to get her team back to a sweet 16 in consecutive years. It isn't 1997 anymore and there are more than 3 or 4 schools that can compete. The Declared and undisputed national champion before the season started was South Carolina with possible competition from Uconn or Stanford. We saw how that worked out for all three.
Hope her assistants got fat raises as well!

It's a little surprising, but keeping quality coaches assists to be the priority over chasing waterfalls. I can't really fault White's approach thus far.

Can’t say that I agree with this but that doesn’t matter. I like Kellie but her ceiling, I’m afraid has been reached. Hope to be wrong. Also hope she can work wonders in the portal.

Ps. Please find some good shooting and good ball handling PG’s

Before this announcement- Danny White is no Phil Fulmer. He demands excellence and won't tolerate Kellie's failure to get back to the final four. He is willing to spend to get the best coach available. Kellie is done and dusted for sure.

After this announcement that Danny White concludes that Kellie is the best coach available - He is just a football guy who does not want to spend the $.

Narratives are so adaptable!!

Last edited:
Before this announcement- Danny White is no Phil Fulmer. He demands excellence and won't tolerate Kellie's failure to get back to the final four. He is willing to spend to get the best coach available. Kellie is done and dusted for sure.

After this announcement that Danny White concludes that Kellie is the best coach available - He is just a football who does not want to spend the $.

Yup the needle seems to always move when its related to Kellie and it's sickening.

Excuse my ignorance since I don't follow women's basketball closely,but is there anybody else out that's good enough to replace her at this point? Give her a few years and if she hasn't achieved anything more than a sweet 16 at that point, look elsewhere for a new coach.

After this announcement that Danny White concludes that Kellie is the best coach available - He is just a football guy who does not want to spend the $.

AD spend money on the sport that brings in the money football is the cash cow at Tennessee always has been even during Pat Summitts time and all the success she had didn't change it any

This is a sign to 2024 recruits to let them know that if they commit to play for UT, that they don't have to worry about a coaching change. Any recruit who visits this board sees the constant debate over whether or not Kellie's future on Rocky Top is secure. It's a good PR tactic, but nothing else. We all know that if any of Heupel, Barnes, or Harper crap the bed a couple of seasons and continue to do so, they gone...
Hope it's able to land a couple of big fish in the 2024 cycle and hopefully a couple of productive transfers!

It's like adding an extra quarter to the spin cycle in the laundry mat sometimes. Kellie did what about 374 other coaches would have loved to do over the last 2 years yet they failed to do just that. Consecutive Sweet 16s and nobocy last year thought we even had a chance to get there after the injury to Keyan and Jordan late in the season. 1 of 4 active coaches to have 3 consecutive wnba draft picks and the only active coach to take 4 teams to the NCAA tournament. No she hasn't gotten a team to the final four YET, but her resume is getting much stronger.

It is so not cool for a CT fan to make these comments on this board.

VN Store

Back