Handling the Kevin Steele situation

It all depends on his attitude.

If he has bought in and wants to be part of what CJH is trying to do, then keep him around by all means in whatever role makes sense. But, I think making him stay would be a bad idea.

The program doesn’t need anybody poisoning the well while they’re trying to establish a new culture.
We’ve changed culture more times than cottage cheese. Maybe we are just too uncultured.

Reactions: Raebo and VolDave53
I was thinking about the Steele situation and how it will likely be handled. I thought of something that makes a lot of sense.

Heupel is interviewing DC candidates, so it seems pretty clear that he wants to go in a different direction than Steele for that position. And Tennessee is on the hook for $950K if they let Steele go...for just a few weeks of work, no less. But most of us seem to be thinking that if Steele stays, it will be as the DC. That's not necessarily the case. Remember, he wasn't hired as the DC. He was hired as a "defensive assistant" while Ansley was still DC, so that was the only expectation at the time of his hiring.

Reading the tea leaves, I think Heupel may be planning to hire his own DC (which makes sense), while keeping Steele on staff as a defensive assistant. Have him coach a position like LBs, be a solid recruiting gun, and be a guy who is familiar with the SEC, be involved in game-planning for SEC offenses with which he is familiar. This way, you get an experienced defensive mind who knows the SEC, recruits the territory well, and you avoid that buyout. And you're offering a position for which he was hired in the first place and you still get to hire your own DC. Worst case, Steele says no, walks away, and you don't pay him anything more than the few weeks he worked. I don't think he would, though.

So you dont thank her be a really disgruntled employee and you want him in meetings not really having his heart in it to save a few bucks? That’s what got us here with the ncaa looming. Poor plan opie, you should take a lap.

How many reasons can Tennessee think up for not hiring the best available man for the job? And he is already hired! Hint: Kevin Steele.

I don't think his type of defense is what Heupel wants. Kevin Steele was one of the finalist when they hired Pruitt, is friends with Fulmer and would probably have him on speed dial. I think a complete overhaul is what they want and Steele in some ways is considered a part of that old regime.

I was thinking about the Steele situation and how it will likely be handled. I thought of something that makes a lot of sense.

Heupel is interviewing DC candidates, so it seems pretty clear that he wants to go in a different direction than Steele for that position. And Tennessee is on the hook for $950K if they let Steele go...for just a few weeks of work, no less. But most of us seem to be thinking that if Steele stays, it will be as the DC. That's not necessarily the case. Remember, he wasn't hired as the DC. He was hired as a "defensive assistant" while Ansley was still DC, so that was the only expectation at the time of his hiring.

Reading the tea leaves, I think Heupel may be planning to hire his own DC (which makes sense), while keeping Steele on staff as a defensive assistant. Have him coach a position like LBs, be a solid recruiting gun, and be a guy who is familiar with the SEC, be involved in game-planning for SEC offenses with which he is familiar. This way, you get an experienced defensive mind who knows the SEC, recruits the territory well, and you avoid that buyout. And you're offering a position for which he was hired in the first place and you still get to hire your own DC. Worst case, Steele says no, walks away, and you don't pay him anything more than the few weeks he worked. I don't think he would, though.
I was thinking the same thing. Let Steele be CoDC and help the staff with recruiting. Steele can’t really leave because he’d forfeit the buyout. But then again that might just shift to Auburn.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I am concerned Steele will sabotage UT unless he is DC. He is a good recruiter, but do we want him whispering in the ear of recruiting candidates? I believe Heupel is aware of this and hope he acts accordingly.

I would be concerned about this as well if White was not our AD now, and he has close relationship with Heupel (much closer than he will probably ever have with Steele). Because of this Steele would have to be really dumb to think he could benefit by undermining Heupel (even if Heupel failes and has to be replaced down the road White would probably hold that against Steele - however if we still had Fulmer in charge then Heupel or any other new HC we hired would have to be looking over his shoulder as long as Steele is there - in that scenario I would agree with you that Heupel would be at the risk of sabotage by Steele - actually Pruitt would have that same risk if he was still around).

We don't know the circumstances or personalities involved. There is comfort in the old SEC names and perceived wisdom but Heupel and White may know some up and comers worth the promotion and bigger paydays. Also the thinking about Steele being an insurrectionist may be overblown or it simply may not be worth the risk. Who knows? Hey time for dodgeball and no meltdowns regardless of who the new coach hires On staff. Fresh coaching staffs at Tennessee, Auburn and South Carolina make an interesting off season. All 3 head coaches were not considered top names by fans.

I’m good with it if CKS is. He would be an asset.

Rockytop2624,Because Josh doesn't need someone to wash his car and bring "Little Debbies"on a daily basis.

So you dont thank her be a really disgruntled employee and you want him in meetings not really having his heart in it to save a few bucks? That’s what got us here with the ncaa looming. Poor plan opie, you should take a lap.
What does that mean?

Why would Coach Heupel want a man who has already tried a coup at Auburn on his staff anywhere? Can you remember John Majors and Phillip Fulmer? Also Steele Defense is not a match what what Coach Heupel has said he wants. He wants Defenses that are aggressive and make big plays [sacks, interceptions, negative plays]. Steele has not been an aggressive play caller in the past.

I eonder if he would stay if he was offered only a lesser position. There my be bigger opportunities out there.

Why not hire both Steele and Chavis as defensive analysts? They are running mates from way back and for sure know the SEC inside out. I understand if Heupel wants fresh eyes and a different direction but the old guys who are affordable and already in town might add big time value.

Do you ever want to stop anybody on 3rd down...:cool:

That wouldn’t really help to change the perception that UT is a bad place for a coach to work.
That can has already been opened and the worms will be screaming “fire with cause” at every coach we hire, that hasn’t won a championship by year 3.
It’s Volnation, it’s what we do.
GBO!!

Reactions: UT Hill Man
It all depends on his attitude.

If he has bought in and wants to be part of what CJH is trying to do, then keep him around by all means in whatever role makes sense. But, I think making him stay would be a bad idea.

The program doesn’t need anybody poisoning the well while they’re trying to establish a new culture.
I agree, regardless of how good he is at what he does or how much he's paid if he causes decent within the program he's not worth keeping around. When the coach was hired he was given control of the football program, as it should be, to make it work properly. What's right for him might not right for you, let the coach do his job. In business you have one person responsible for the organization, and this is a business. Again let the head coach do his job, if he doesn't want someone left over from the last coach that's fine and if what he's doing doesn't work he's our next fired coach.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Pay Steele his buyout and move on with a clean slate.

If they were serious about making him DC they would have done so by now.

And Steele could triple dip on buyouts from UT, Auburn and whatever job he lands after this.

I like Steele and think if he and Heupel could coexist it would be a good thing for the program with solid offensive and defensive minds running things.

It isn't his fault Fulmer or whoever signed off on paying him 300 K a week or whatever it ends up.

No sign that Steele staying is going to happen though IMO.

Reactions: onevol74

Nice take and angle. Hope so.

Josh Heupel is our coach and it is totally his decision. If I were him I would clean house and set up my own staff. Would not risk having potential problems.

VN Store

Back