Handling the Kevin Steele situation

NighthawkVol

I was thinking about the Steele situation and how it will likely be handled. I thought of something that makes a lot of sense.

Heupel is interviewing DC candidates, so it seems pretty clear that he wants to go in a different direction than Steele for that position. And Tennessee is on the hook for $950K if they let Steele go...for just a few weeks of work, no less. But most of us seem to be thinking that if Steele stays, it will be as the DC. That's not necessarily the case. Remember, he wasn't hired as the DC. He was hired as a "defensive assistant" while Ansley was still DC, so that was the only expectation at the time of his hiring.

Reading the tea leaves, I think Heupel may be planning to hire his own DC (which makes sense), while keeping Steele on staff as a defensive assistant. Have him coach a position like LBs, be a solid recruiting gun, and be a guy who is familiar with the SEC, be involved in game-planning for SEC offenses with which he is familiar. This way, you get an experienced defensive mind who knows the SEC, recruits the territory well, and you avoid that buyout. And you're offering a position for which he was hired in the first place and you still get to hire your own DC. Worst case, Steele says no, walks away, and you don't pay him anything more than the few weeks he worked. I don't think he would, though.

Yeah, we could even make him the boss of the defensive analysts. He's got a good defensive mind, and huge experience with SEC defenses, which makes him a natural for reverse engineering their playbooks, supervising the analysts as they break down film, etc.

So, I could definitely see him in a leadership role, even if it doesn't require him to be in the stadium on game days.

Financially speaking, this could make him the highest-paid analyst in the business, at $450k / year.

I was thinking about the Steele situation and how it will likely be handled. I thought of something that makes a lot of sense.

Heupel is interviewing DC candidates, so it seems pretty clear that he wants to go in a different direction than Steele for that position. And Tennessee is on the hook for $950K if they let Steele go...for just a few weeks of work, no less. But most of us seem to be thinking that if Steele stays, it will be as the DC. That's not necessarily the case. Remember, he wasn't hired as the DC. He was hired as a "defensive assistant" while Ansley was still DC, so that was the only expectation at the time of his hiring.

Reading the tea leaves, I think Heupel may be planning to hire his own DC (which makes sense), while keeping Steele on staff as a defensive assistant. Have him coach a position like LBs, be a solid recruiting gun, and be a guy who is familiar with the SEC, be involved in game-planning for SEC offenses with which he is familiar. This way, you get an experienced defensive mind who knows the SEC, recruits the territory well, and you avoid that buyout. And you're offering a position for which he was hired in the first place and you still get to hire your own DC. Worst case, Steele says no, walks away, and you don't pay him anything more than the few weeks he worked. I don't think he would, though.
You may be right. This has been discussed here several times and its a very logical scenario. KS is getting closer to retirement age as well (just based on his age but he may coach for 10 more years IDK) and I guess it'll depend on what he wants to go through at this point. I'd be fine with him staying on staff. And I'll be fine with whatever JH decides to do.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Give Steele a set of headphones and put his a@@ at the top of the stadium as an analyst.......if he doesn't like it, let him walk.......if he's not good enough for the auBarns, he's not good enough for us......I'm sick of us taking SEC rejects and hiring them to coach at TN.......his defense at the Barn took a big step back last year......he is a decent recruiter, however, so we could do worse, I suppose.

It all depends on his attitude.

If he has bought in and wants to be part of what CJH is trying to do, then keep him around by all means in whatever role makes sense. But, I think making him stay would be a bad idea.

The program doesn’t need anybody poisoning the well while they’re trying to establish a new culture.

Personally, I feel that Heupel may feel threatened by Steele's mere presence. Mainly due to the fact he is a Tenn grad and with aspirations as head coach at Tennessee. May be out in left field on this but cannot help but consider the possibility. A knife in the back can sometimes be fatal !!!!! Has happened before at Tenn...............ask Fat PhiL

Heupel nor his DC want him to stay in a position role. Would not be a good look for the defensive staff. Steele doesn't want that. Steele won't walk away because he has to pay Tennessee 300K if he does that. UT will terminate him and pay the 900K IMO . Its chicken feed to what they have already paid out the last 12 years.

Heupel nor his DC want him to stay in a position role. Would not be a good look for the defensive staff. Steele doesn't want that. Steele won't walk away because he has to pay Tennessee 300K if he does that. UT will terminate him and pay the 900K IMO . Its chicken feed to what they have already paid out the last 12 years.
"Heupel nor his DC"..... uh, any insight you know and wanna share about "his DC?"

Initials, previous experience, current job...... you know...... nothing that tells a secret. 🤞😉

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Why can't we make him a analyst like Saban did with Butch?
Alabama paid Butch almost nothing. We were still paying him millions. I do not know how much Auburn, but what ever it was, they are ow paying him $450,00- a year less. He will still be getting the same total of money so we should find a position somewhere for him. He really doesn't have to be on the field, but I would hate to waste his knowledge and recruiting assets.

Why not hire both Steele and Chavis as defensive analysts? They are running mates from way back and for sure know the SEC inside out. I understand if Heupel wants fresh eyes and a different direction but the old guys who are affordable and already in town might add big time value.

Alabama paid Butch almost nothing. We were still paying him millions. I do not know how much Auburn, but what ever it was, they are ow paying him $450,00- a year less. He will still be getting the same total of money so we should find a position somewhere for him. He really doesn't have to be on the field, but I would hate to waste his knowledge and recruiting assets.
Auburn is on the hook for $2.5 million a year to Steele for 2 years. What we are paying him lightens their payment. Steele will be fine, financially, but Steele is a Fulmer holdover and former player.

The notion of keeping Steele or hiring Chavis just keeps the ghost of Fulmer in the building and that isn't the "fresh start" we need, IMO, for our coaching staff going forward.

Give Steele a set of headphones and put his a@@ at the top of the stadium as an analyst.......if he doesn't like it, let him walk.......if he's not good enough for the auBarns, he's not good enough for us......I'm sick of us taking SEC rejects and hiring them to coach at TN.......his defense at the Barn took a big step back last year......he is a decent recruiter, however, so we could do worse, I suppose.
This x 1000

From your lips to God's ear

I think there may be trust issues. Heupel should be able to bring in who he wants without having to worry about people undermining him. I'm not convinced necessarily that Steele would do that but I know Steele shouldn't be forced on Heupel. That sort of meddlesome environment will continue to decrease the attractiveness of the program in the coaching community. As fans we typically only see the tip of the iceberg in these situations, we hired Heupel as coach, we need to let him choose his own team and do so.

VN Store

Back