Handgun Owners

While I'm not a Glock guy, I've never understood this. They look Spartan for sure. But there isn't anything wrong with that. It's the ergonomics that turn me off to them. Everytime I hold one I feel like I'm shooting a 2x4.
You must have really small hands:cool: I kid! I kid! I got to shoot the adjustable backstrap grip when S&W came out with it when I was doing some shooting with a local LEO agency armorer and that started my move away from Glock as a daily carry especially after I bought my wife a 9MM compact for her carry gun and I shot hers alot. They were looking at changing guns because their females had a hard time with the grips on the Glocks and the guys with big hands had issues as well (theirs were G23s IIRC).
As my dissertations have represented I'm big on analogies. I guess if you want a Ferrari or Land Rover that's a work of art, expensive to maintain and works most of the time you mash the gas that's great just don't depend on it to be your daily driver. It makes you all warm inside sitting safely in the garage or driving on a bluebird day.
But If you are fleeing for your life or going on a first responder call through a crappy weather and must not under any circumstances get stopped or delayed give me a F250, 2500, Ram 4x4 diesel... ugly as hell but gets the job done. Ill take function over aesthetics for $1000 alex...
I used to have a Glock G22 before the boat accident, that had a custom formed and stippled grip that was as nice as anything including a Nighthawk custom I had. Guy did it as a favor and probably had 20 hours in it but Throw it down in the mud pick it up rack the slide and it goes bang when trigger is pulled. Like I said they can be nice, (Gen 4 and Gen 5 especially) I just got to the financial side that says by the time I make "nice" the Glock with trigger work, internals, grip, feed ramp etc... I've gotten close to what a really nice Sig, Kimber or Springfield is. I've never met a gun I didn't like, but I do like some more than others depending on the use...

You must have really small hands:cool: I kid! I kid! I got to shoot the adjustable backstrap grip when S&W came out with it when I was doing some shooting with a local LEO agency armorer and that started my move away from Glock as a daily carry especially after I bought my wife a 9MM compact for her carry gun and I shot hers alot. They were looking at changing guns because their females had a hard time with the grips on the Glocks and the guys with big hands had issues as well (theirs were G23s IIRC).
As my dissertations have represented I'm big on analogies. I guess if you want a Ferrari or Land Rover that's a work of art, expensive to maintain and works most of the time you mash the gas that's great just don't depend on it to be your daily driver. It makes you all warm inside sitting safely in the garage or driving on a bluebird day.
But If you are fleeing for your life or going on a first responder call through a crappy weather and must not under any circumstances get stopped or delayed give me a F250, 2500, Ram 4x4 diesel... ugly as hell but gets the job done. Ill take function over aesthetics for $1000 alex...
I used to have a Glock G22 before the boat accident, that had a custom formed and stippled grip that was as nice as anything including a Nighthawk custom I had. Guy did it as a favor and probably had 20 hours in it but Throw it down in the mud pick it up rack the slide and it goes bang when trigger is pulled. Like I said they can be nice, (Gen 4 and Gen 5 especially) I just got to the financial side that says by the time I make "nice" the Glock with trigger work, internals, grip, feed ramp etc... I've gotten close to what a really nice Sig, Kimber or Springfield is. I've never met a gun I didn't like, but I do like some more than others depending on the use...
Lol. They're just so dang blocky. My Sig P320 fits my hand like it was made for it worth the normal grip. So I guess I have average hands. Glocks are fantastic guns for sure. I just don't like the feel of them. Luckily Thier are plenty of reliable 9mms it thier. I debated a vp9, cz p09, and Springfield xdm heavily. But the feel of the grip sealed my choice of the Sig.

Ok, so I'm interested in the boat story. You've referenced it a couple times now and I'm having a hard time creating a scenario where you have several pistols in the boat and then lose them in a crash.

I picture you running guns in some speed boat and the coast guard after you. Please tell me that's what happened.

Lol. They're just so dang blocky. My Sig P320 fits my hand like it was made for it worth the normal grip. So I guess I have average hands. Glocks are fantastic guns for sure. I just don't like the feel of them. Luckily Thier are plenty of reliable 9mms it thier. I debated a vp9, cz p09, and Springfield xdm heavily. But the feel of the grip sealed my choice of the Sig.
Like I said small hands lol. I shot the P320 and it is a really nice gun for and the NC State Highway patrol will be carrying these by Springtime. I personally like my 226 for winter and 229 for summer carry but if you gave me one I'd wear it.

Ok, so I'm interested in the boat story. You've referenced it a couple times now and I'm having a hard time creating a scenario where you have several pistols in the boat and then lose them in a crash.

I picture you running guns in some speed boat and the coast guard after you. Please tell me that's what happened.
Actually it was much worse than that... There was a bunch of my gun owning friends on a fishing trip and I had all my FFL purchased pistols, AR10 and AR15 Platform evil guns as well as a few shotguns in a non-standard configuration that I lost when the boat accident happened. I was in a canoe but in very deep water... I can tell BATFE where to start searching but I doubt they will have any luck retrieving them either.

Like I said small hands lol. I shot the P320 and it is a really nice gun for and the NC State Highway patrol will be carrying these by Springtime. I personally like my 226 for winter and 229 for summer carry but if you gave me one I'd wear it.

Actually it was much worse than that... There was a bunch of my gun owning friends on a fishing trip and I had all my FFL purchased pistols, AR10 and AR15 Platform evil guns as well as a few shotguns in a non-standard configuration that I lost when the boat accident happened. I was in a canoe but in very deep water... I can tell BATFE where to start searching but I doubt they will have any luck retrieving them either.

So, moral of the story is, if your going to show off all your expensive toys. Do it on dry land !
Dude, I would have been sick. I cant imagine losing all my guns. I so want an ar10, that's my next long gun.

So, moral of the story is, if your going to show off all your expensive toys. Do it on dry land !
Dude, I would have been sick. I cant imagine losing all my guns. I so want an ar10, that's my next long gun.
My previous statements are kind of an inside joke among those of us who have collected more than a couple of firearms during our lifetimes so that what almost happened in Virginia and has happened in NY, NJ, Kalifornia etc... when they out law certain types of mags, guns, supressors, etc and they come to your door to collect them that they were lost in a terrible boating accident just last week. Its a longstanding joke sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Jxn Vol
My previous statements are kind of an inside joke among those of us who have collected more than a couple of firearms during our lifetimes so that what almost happened in Virginia and has happened in NY, NJ, Kalifornia etc... when they out law certain types of mags, guns, supressors, etc and they come to your door to collect them that they were lost in a terrible boating accident just last week. Its a longstanding joke sorry for the confusion.
giphy.gif

I've been searching too. There is a stable of good midsize to conceal well under the $500 ceiling. I have had handguns in years past, but none in quite some time. This time I have to consider my wife wanting to get one, so I have spent a good deal of time researching. For the money in the $500-$600 range, I personally am a die hard Beretta model 92 fan. That was my favorite I ever owned. For dependability and accuracy, it never fails and being on the heavy side, shoots like butter with low recoil. they have a slightly smaller compact 92 that has my attention.

For the others I have done research on, the Bersa Thunder 380 is very popular and highly rated, and inexpensive. It's in my top 3 to decide on. Other affordable compact models in the $200-$350 range that were appealing to me so far is SCCY, Taurus G2C, Canik, S&W SDVE. These are all 380 or 9mm.

I have not ruled out a .22. For home defense, this is a good option. As well as for cost of ammo. Well placed shots are highly important, and .22's can be very effective inside the home.

I've put a lot of time into researching, and as noted above, don't buy what you haven't shot. What looks cool or appealing, you may not like after you buy and shoot. Case in point, my step son has one of those palm sized Ruger 380's. I shot it. Hate it. Had I not shot his, that pistol would still be on my list. I'll drum up my list I had going and come back and post it. because of other commitments I'm paying right now, we just haven't bought yet. Had I got taxes back instead of paying, we probably would have gone and let her shoot accouple and purchased by now.
22 is better than nothing but it is not a defensive round

I have very little experience with handguns. I've owned rifles and shotguns my entire life, and I'm looking for a home defense weapon/concealed carry. Looking for some suggestions if anyone is willing to offer some advice.

I've been looking mostly at 9 mm semiautomatic so far. Am I going down the wrong path? It doesn't seem like a revolver would be very conducive to concealed carry.

Cz p-01, cz p-07, sig 365xl, s&w m&p, glock 19. Lots of good options lots of variables, how concealable do you want it, single stack vs double stack. Do you want to be able to mount a light to it for home defense. Do you want striker fired, double action/ single action, single action only

Last edited:
My home defense gun is a Glock 21 .45. It's a great gun and my favorite to shoot, but it's huge. It's just too big to comfortably carry concealed. It wouldn't be too bad carrying openly in a law enforcement type rig, but any type of concealed carry is just impractical. My concealed carry that I use all the time is a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. It carries wonderfully, shoots great, and was very budget friendly. I bought it new for less than $300. You definitely need to try out some guns before you buy though. Everything fits everyone differently. For example I bought a Ruger P95 9mm about 20 years ago, nice inexpensive gun, just didn't fit my hand right. The magazine release was positioned just right that in my hand the recoil would push it back just right to drop the mag (not a real good thing in middle of shooting) . I ended up trading it for a rifle a few years later.

agree with the Glock 21 for home defense. I use the Sig 365 for abdomen carry. Hardly notice it there.
For the OP, agree with what many have already stated. Try out several guns at a range. One other thing to consider are used handguns.
They can usually be purchased considerably cheaper. That's how I ended up with the Glock 21 with 3 13 round magazines. I wasn't even looking for one but it was there with an offer I couldn't refuse

Reactions: BennesseeVols
I love my Glock 43 and my wife carries the 380 version Glock 42, that way she knows how to handle both guns if ever needed.

VN Store

Back