Halzle Promoted to OC

I'm hearing Littrell's name a lot as well. Can Heupel overthrow Saban and make Tennessee the next Coaching Rehab U?
Was an early favorite, but if one's reading tea leaves, the UNT TE portal became a no go and that would cast doubt. His candidacy is why I've theorized the new hire would need at least a Co-OC title if not the playcaller responsibilities. Need a little sugar if you go from HC to position coach.

Nice. On the 247 podcast the other day they mentioned we would need to replace our te coach. This led me to conclude that those in the know have known for awhile that this was the move. That being said, can anyone see any reason why we waited to make the announcement?
I can't help but think waiting until after the bowl season means someone else was offered after their season ended and turned it down.

I'm not against Halzle as OC but waiting until now when promoting from within looks weird because it is weird. Something else was holding this up and it probably was making an offer to someone else first.

Just a matter of time. I'm much more interested in the new assistant he will be bringing in.

Why? Why teach an external guy the offense when there's a guy down the hall that's been engrained for 12 years? This is CJH's offense and he's going to be protective of his intellectual property. As he should be.
If you were serious you could probably do the pros and cons of it on your own. I have faith in your brain. Advantages exist to both promotions and bringing in people who are new. Heupel is running this offense no matter who he hires.

I can't help but think waiting until after the bowl season means someone else was offered after their season ended and turned it down.

I'm not against Halzle as OC but waiting until now when promoting from within looks weird because it is weird. Something else was holding this up and it probably was making an offer to someone else first.
Could also be the Orange Bowl was a quasi audition that he passed.

Reactions: gnm53108

To me, CJH seems like the kind that wants to control what he can control. That would include extraneous distraction while preparing for a bowl game. So waiting to announce until after the bowl game doesn't seem weird to me at all.

I said it before...it's Halzle until it isn't Halzle. Be excited to see who comes on board to fill out the coaching staff.

Reactions: VAVol85
To me, CJH seems like the kind that wants to control what he can control. That would include extraneous distraction while preparing for a bowl game. So waiting to announce until after the bowl game doesn't seem weird to me at all.

I said it before...it's Halzle until it isn't Halzle. Be excited to see who comes on board to fill out the coaching staff.
What's the distraction in promoting from within?

He knows the offense well and it seems CJH has been grooming him for the job for awhile now...Good for him!...I have no problem with it at all.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
This was already largely decided when they knew Golesh was being pursued by USF. Logical choice. Halzle has been with Heupel plenty long enough, knows this offense and Hype’s tendencies better than anyone.

No one turned it down. It was Halzle from the start.

Reactions: peaygolf
We kicked the crap out of Clemson without our 3 best offensive players and CJH calling the o plays since the OC was gone.

I’m not concerned.

If there is one thing no one ever worries about with coaches like him is the O. He reminds me a ton of Spurrier without the smug comments. Just throws in a QB and keeps going.

This new OC will be just fine and maybe even add some new ideas.

Listened to CH on the zone today. Very impressed with him. Extremely well spoken and knowledgeable. I’m already excited for next year.

Reactions: butchna
If you were serious you could probably do the pros and cons of it on your own. I have faith in your brain. Advantages exist to both promotions and bringing in people who are new. Heupel is running this offense no matter who he hires.

Culture and staff chemistry is the best pro this brain can come up with and that's CJH's M.O. on most staff decisions thus far. See Kelsey Pope.
Likewise, hiring an outsider for the O.C. would do the opposite. The guy down the hall is already proven to be trustworthy and adept at coaching up 'the system'.
It would be utterly stupid to rock the boat for the 'new and shiny' just cuz.

Listened to CH on the zone today. Very impressed with him. Extremely well spoken and knowledgeable. I’m already excited for next year.
Knows the product and helped the installation of the steering column.

Culture and staff chemistry is the best pro this brain can come up with and that's CJH's M.O. on most staff decisions thus far. See Kelsey Pope.
Likewise, hiring an outsider for the O.C. would do the opposite. The guy down the hall is already proven to be trustworthy and adept at coaching up 'the system'.
It would be utterly stupid to rock the boat for the 'new and shiny' just cuz.

It's not a "just cuz" thing.

Internal provides fewer costs, and learning, and provides a safer transition with more stability. This can be perfect or cause a lack of growth in philosophy, culture, or new processes because it's more of the same that you currently have. It's conservative but stable. It works best when the position is more of a title than the actual job. This is Heupel's offense so no worries there. Clemson did this on offense and defense replacing their OC and DC. The safe hire also has downfalls, Dabo messed up IMO.

External hires can bring in new ideas, and unique experiences, and add to the culture, and a good hire brings in skill bump in multiple areas. The cons are, it's a wildcard. You always feel safer about the internal hire, but sometimes it's at the risk of a bad hire which requires good leadership to fix and that diverts efforts from other areas. It's considered riskier, nothing statistically backs it up that I know of, but without adding external hires, you don't evolve as quickly because you cannot train experiences.

You either didn't try or I recant my faith in you

It's not a "just cuz" thing.

Internal provides fewer costs, and learning, and provides a safer transition with more stability. This can be perfect or cause a lack of growth in philosophy, culture, or new processes because it's more of the same that you currently have. It's conservative but stable. It works best when the position is more of a title than the actual job. This is Heupel's offense so no worries there. Clemson did this on offense and defense replacing OC and HC. The safe hire also has downfalls, Dabo messed up IMO.

External hires can bring in new ideas, and unique experiences, and add to the culture, and a good hire brings in skill bump in multiple areas. The cons are it's a wildcard. You always feel safer about the internal hire, but sometimes it's at the risk of a bad hire which requires good leadership to fix and that diverts efforts from other areas. It's considered riskier, nothing statistically backs it up that I know of, but without adding external hires, you don't evolve as quickly because you cannot train experiences.

You either didn't try or I recant my faith in you

Meh. It's not CJH's M.O. to go outside that often on offensive guys. And it's both culture and philosophy. Particularly when he's got a guy down the hall that's got a track record with him. Guys on that side of the ball are going to get opportunities if the production continues. Don't forget how CJH was handled by Bob Stoops when he was a young coach.

So.............I didn't think I would have to try this hard. It's not Heupel's way.

VN Store

Back