Gun control debate (merged)

My dad bought a single shot bolt action .22 rifle (Remington Model 510) , and started us out shooting at 5 years old. He drilled gun safety into both us, and wouldn't let us own anything more than a single shot until we got quite a bit older. We were like Barney Fife in that when we went hunting, we weren't allowed to load our rifles until we arrived to a place on my grandfather's farm where it was safe to shoot (back between the hills or in the hollers, as they are called). When we crossed a barbed wire fence , we had to open our bolts, and hand the rifle over to him. He didn't want to take the chance of us tripping and shooting someone.

I can still hear him.....
1) Don't point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
2) Don't put your finger in the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
3) Always be aware of what is in the line of sight behind your target in case you miss.
4) All guns are loaded.

It's all pretty simple really.
My grand parents house always had two loaded guns right by the front door. Never once did they get unsafely touched by a kid. My mom was one of 8. I am one of 26 grand kids, with several great grand kids, 8, never touching them.

It's amazing what discipline and education will do.

My grand parents house always had two loaded guns right by the front door. Never once did they get unsafely touched by a kid. My mom was one of 8. I am one of 26 grand kids, with several great grand kids, 8, never touching them.

It's amazing what discipline and education will do.
Dang! And my parents even whipped me. Looks like I would have been so full of rage, that I would take any one of about 5 rifles above the tv, walked 350 yards down to the high school, and cut loose.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
It's actually the opposite. The second amendment was added to help protect the other rights.

It’s the only one that provides teeth in case they are needed to defend the others . That’s why it’s the only one that says.. shall not be infringed upon .

Hahaha! I love this moronic tereotype. I'm not the one so scared of the boogeyman that I need to carry a gun everywhere I go to feel safe. In fact, I feel perfectly safe not having to carry a gun anywhere and have made it 41 years that way, as much as that may blow your little mind.
That’s your right.....and mine is to carry. The difference between you and I is this.... you’d rather get manhandled, pistol whipped and violated instead of having the ability to defend yourself.... not me....

And trample on every other right in the constitution in the process. You know there are others right?
WTF nonsense is this? Do you experience concealed carriers waiving guns in your face and telling you they’re gonna cap a bit**? No .....you don’t.... so take this ridiculousness back to your pooned up liberal love shack.

40 Shocking Gun Violence Statistics - What You Need to Know
"Over 75% of first and second graders know where their parents keep firearms and 36% admitted to handling the weapons"

If that doesn't concern you, then there is no hope for you and you are too ignorant for words.
you must have grown up in a gun free home.... all of my friend’s and family members had guns in their homes, but somehow managed not to kill anyone or themselves.

Concerns? so what? my kids know where my firearms are and have shot most of them before, they know how to properly use them and the firearm cardinal safety rules...14 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter.

Amazing how much like drugs/alcohol/sex, etc when you take out the mystery and explain actual facts, they don't really think it's a big deal....i don't understand why YOU do?
The Facts on Children and Teens Killed By Guns

"Firearms are the second leading cause of death among American children and adolescents, after car crashes. Firearm deaths occur at a rate more than three times higher than drownings."

The Facts on Children and Teens Killed By Guns

"Firearms are the second leading cause of death among American children and adolescents, after car crashes. Firearm deaths occur at a rate more than three times higher than drownings."

What’s the leading cause of death coming in @ 20% and why aren’t you spearheading a campaign trying to prevent it , since it’s a privilege and not a right ?

What’s the leading cause of death coming in @ 20% and why aren’t you spearheading a campaign trying to prevent it , since it’s a privilege and not a right ?
I want to make cars as safe as possible for children also. There's a reason why children are required to be in certain car seats until certain ages now. The government has imposed certain restrictions to better protect its people while in vehicles just like it should with guns.

I want to make cars as safe as possible for children also. There's a reason why children are required to be in certain car seats until certain ages now. The government has imposed certain restrictions to better protect its people just like it should with guns.

There are more restrictions on Firearms than cars . So again , why are we skipping down to number two with more restrictions and a right , instead of taking on the number one cause that has less restrictions and a privilege ?

There are more restrictions on Firearms than cars . So again , why are we skipping down to number two with more restrictions and a right , instead of taking on the number one cause that has less restrictions and a privilege ?
I would argue that there are alot more restrictions on cars; alot more.

Evidence?
Look at FBI and CDC statistics on the subject. Most are kids killed directly by gang related activity (I.e drivebys where either the subjects ages 13-19 were intended targets bc they were gang members or innocent kids shot as collateral damage. Next category way down are accidental shootings

There is nothing wrong with kids being taught how to handle and trained with firearms appropriately. much like with the other crime in this country, you take out criminals, mentally ill and drug related crimes it drops significantly

Reactions: tennvols77
I want to make cars as safe as possible for children also. There's a reason why children are required to be in certain car seats until certain ages now. The government has imposed certain restrictions to better protect its people while in vehicles just like it should with guns.
Do you think government requirements on seat belts and car seats means that all kids are in seat belts and car seats?

VN Store

Back