Guess our 1st Starting Lineup

Fulkerson
Pons
James
Springer
Vescovi

Keon (6th man) plays more minutes at the 3 than James who becomes our backup PG when Vescovi is out. I don’t think many (if anyone will average 30 minutes per game) except maybe Fulky and Pons. Too much depth at the wings for anyone to get significant minutes (above 26). If Springer or Johnson start pulling 30 minutes per game than James would be limited to about 20 and Bailey would be getting 10.....I don’t see that happening.

Anoskie will get at least 20 minutes per game and will be backup for both Fulky and Pons. Nkamhoua and Plavsic will need to play well early for either to get consistent minutes in this short season. Bailey should pull at least 18 minutes per game as a backup 2G or spot minutes at PG. Gaines may get situational minutes at times. I don’t think others play unless we are blowing people out. Can’t wait for the season to start to see how it all plays out.

Fulkerson
Pons
James
Springer
Vescovi

Keon (6th man) plays more minutes at the 3 than James who becomes our backup PG when Vescovi is out. I don’t think many (if anyone will average 30 minutes per game) except maybe Fulky and Pons. Too much depth at the wings for anyone to get significant minutes (above 26). If Springer or Johnson start pulling 30 minutes per game than James would be limited to about 20 and Bailey would be getting 10.....I don’t see that happening.

Anoskie will get at least 20 minutes per game and will be backup for both Fulky and Pons. Nkamhoua and Plavsic will need to play well early for either to get consistent minutes in this short season. Bailey should pull at least 18 minutes per game as a backup 2G or spot minutes at PG. Gaines may get situational minutes at times. I don’t think others play unless we are blowing people out. Can’t wait for the season to start to see how it all plays out.
Keon will start every game this year, unless he is hurt/sick

Fulk
Pons
James
Keon
Vescovi

Springer, Bailey and Anosike first 3 off the bench depending on the foul situation.

ON, Gaines and Plavsic, next 3, with Walker and Pember having an opportunity to play their way into the 9/10 man, occasional rotation. Of these past 5 players listed, I expect ON to make the biggest jump in playing time. Love Gaines, but his position is loaded. UT needs another big man to rebound and I think ON can do that, plus he is very athletic and there is just more opportunities down low.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We’ll see if this turns out to be accurate but hearing Barnes is going with experience...

Santi
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

I agree. Watching the practice videos I've seen this lineup being together in the scrimmage/practice videos. There was also a lot of Keon, so I would expect him to be the first off the bench.

Would not surprise me as it fits Barnes style. Not sure I believe that he's going to start both his prized recruits on the bench though, one maybe but not both.
It makes sense in a lot of ways to play it this way, of course for those who were down playing Bailey I’m sure they’re quite shocked by this news.

It makes sense in a lot of ways to play it this way, of course for those who were down playing Bailey I’m sure they’re quite shocked by this news.
The article Pulaski shared on the current roster thread with the quotes from Barnes makes it seem like Barnes is looking for guys that have been in the program for a while. The lack of practice time and conditioning work makes him value Bailey, Vescovi, JJJ, Pons and Fulky. This may not be the starting lineup in a few weeks but it is my bet for tonight.

Vescovi
Keon
Pons
Anosike
Fulky

But I expect Springer, Bailey, and JJJ to get heavy minutes

The article Pulaski shared on the current roster thread with the quotes from Barnes makes it seem like Barnes is looking for guys that have been in the program for a while. The lack of practice time and conditioning work makes him value Bailey, Vescovi, JJJ, Pons and Fulky. This may not be the starting lineup in a few weeks but it is my bet for tonight.
I got that same feeling.

Why? We're a deep, vet laden team, especially in the backcourt and they've not had the normal practice/workout time and experience because COVID. They'll be fine.

Because I was hoping one of them could beat Bailey. And they both should. Now maybe they’re just behind with COVID, but I’m thinking this could be a sign they’re not as ready as previously reported.

Springer or Johnson not starting has me concerned.
Not sure why, maybe wait and see before getting concerned? As I mentioned it makes a lot of sense, I know you think Bailey is a bench warmer at best, but maybe he’s slightly more than that? Point being, I think Barnes would like to go with guys with some experience to start and ease the younger guys into it, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson or Springer get more minutes than Bailey on the whole for the game, not starting doesn’t mean much.

Because I was hoping one of them could beat Bailey. And they both should. Now maybe they’re just behind with COVID, but I’m thinking this could be a sign they’re not as ready as previously reported.
Why should they beat Bailey, especially with reports of Bailey's great play in practice? There are a magnitude of non-"Keon and Springer are busts" reasons why they are not starting the first game of their careers in the middle of a pandemic.

Why should they beat Bailey, especially with reports of Bailey's great play in practice? There are a magnitude of non-"Keon and Springer are busts" reasons why they are not starting the first game of their careers in the middle of a pandemic.

Doesnt mean they are busts. It could potentially mean they aren’t as talented or ready (especially Keon who VQ has said has been a top 10 NBA talent). But again, it’s just a concern. Doesn’t mean that they are busts.

Not sure why, maybe wait and see before getting concerned? As I mentioned it makes a lot of sense, I know you think Bailey is a bench warmer at best, but maybe he’s slightly more than that? Point being, I think Barnes would like to go with guys with some experience to start and ease the younger guys into it, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson or Springer get more minutes than Bailey on the whole for the game, not starting doesn’t mean much.

I think Bailey is more than just a benchwarmer but I still think he’s a backup guard. He was that at Oregon. And if both play more minutes my concern level will go down. I’m concerned that potentially our two (projected) NBA first rounders can’t beat out Bailey. That to me would not be a great sign for the ceiling of the team.

I think Bailey is more than just a benchwarmer but I still think he’s a backup guard. He was that at Oregon. And if both play more minutes my concern level will go down. I’m concerned that potentially our two (projected) NBA first rounders can’t beat out Bailey. That to me would not be a great sign for the ceiling of the team.
Wasn't Bailey a back-up to the Celtics first round pick, Pritchard (I think ?) ?

VN Store

Back