Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
11/19
guys at this point it is all about everyone sticking to what has been agreed upon and delivering what was promised.

1.) our admin has to provide the funding support that it has told hart it would up to this point. It needs to remain on board with a high profile, high paid coach. There can't be any last second hesitation from the chancellors office. Good thing we are now working with the assistant chancellor with prior ad experience. I don't think this will be an issue anymore.

2.) our boosters have to still come through with the funding backing that they have promised hart they could provide. No booster can pull a funding offer or try and short change gruden. That will kill the deal. I think our boosters want gruden enough and want tn football to be repaired enough that this won't happen.

3.) gruden can't come back with any extra added stipulations. If there already is agreed upon terms with just some minor details to be ironed out, which i now believe to be the case, then gruden can't go for some last minute nibbles at the end of the negotiation. At this point if our admin and boosters feel like they have already stretched themselves to an extreme level for gruden, one extra added stipulation could kill the whole deal. This is the part of the equation i am worried about.

Gruden is famous for getting very close to deals and something happening last minute to cause it to not happen. He has a very good batna (negotiating term) in his espn gig. He can always pull the well if you don't give me what i want i have 100 job offers and this cushy job to fall back on so i am fine if you don't give me everything i want.

Any last minute additions or request could be a problem...hopefully every single minor detail has been agreed upon in principle so this won't be an issue.

This is why i believe at this point we will hear sooner than later, because there probably won't be much negotiation left. It is either everyone follow through with what was promised or someone backs out.

Reactions: 9 people
per OCI 11/19

I've heard that Gruden may finish out the MNF schedule before an announcement because of some contractual language in his ESPN deal. I understand that talks between Gruden and ESPN are ongoing regarding him accepting the UT job and finishing out MNF. I am not privy to those negotiations and have not seen his contract so I am not sure what the exact issues are. If these issues can be worked out expect the announcement around SECCG (like others have said previously). All eyes will be on that game around the country because the winner will be in the BCSCG.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
11/19

it has become one of the favorite parlor games in sports broadcasting: When is jon gruden leaving espn?
The latest addition to the canon came sunday when cbs nfl insider jason la canfora reported that gruden is being pursued heavily by arkansas and tennessee, and preparing for the possibility of leaving espn by "putting together a list of possible candidates to join him on his staff." la canfora also reported that gruden has been studying the oregon offense (presumably not saturday's loss to stanford) to get better acquainted with the college game. (no doubt cbs sports enjoys causing agita in bristol, conn., with this kind of news.)
"jon remains committed to espn," an espn spokesperson said sunday night when contacted by si.com. "with a third of our monday night football schedule still left to be played this season, he is focused on his analyst role and all the preparation that goes into our game each week."
reached in san francisco on sunday, gruden's monday night football partner, mike tirico, said, "like i've done the last three years, i'm staying away from any of the speculation and conversation as we enter the silly season."
so what happens if gruden bolts at the end of the season? Si.com contacted a half-dozen espn staffers on sunday and trent dilfer appears to be the leading in-house candidate to replace gruden. Steve young would also get consideration.
"i'd actually be surprised to hear that steve would want the job," said an espn staffer who has worked with both dilfer and young. "i'm pretty sure trent wants it."
"i don't see any other contender in-house," said another espn staffer of dilfer.
Via espn, dilfer was not available on sunday night.
Dilfer served (perhaps endured is the better word) as the analyst alongside chris berman for the chargers-raiders season opener, and he also worked the monday night football season-opening doubleheader in 2011. He's considered a rising star by espn's nfl production executives. Both dilfer and young are cerebral broadcasters, but dilfer is thought to be the better fit in the booth as a game analyst. If gruden goes, dilfer would be a smart fit. He has a bigger long-term upside than gruden because he's already willing to be critical of coaches and players when the situation calls for such transparency.
Now in his fourth year in the mnf booth, gruden has already lasted longer in broadcasting than most expected. Before the season, tirico told si.com that he was waiting for all the people who had said gruden would return to the sidelines to admit they had reported prematurely. He did not want to speculate on this go-around.
"i think when this started very few people thought he would be doing for this long and here we are in year four," tirico told si.com on the eve of the regular season. "will jon be coaching in 2013? I have no earthly idea. But given where his temperature has been the last couple of years, i think the chances are good that he will be around with us."
two months ago in an interview with si.com, espn executive vice president of production john wildhack admitted the network had no ready-made contingency plan for gruden's departure.
"what i want to do is create a new era of monday night football with mike and jon," wildhack said, "and that jon will enjoy this so much that he will want to put coaching in the background."
asked if that was possible, wildhack replied: "we sure as hell will try."

Reactions: 2 people
Pete Roussel

Jon Gruden: Gruden spoke at the Tennessee coaches' clinic on campus last spring. He is aware of the resources at UT. When Chris Mortensen says that he believes Tennessee would be the only college job Gruden would entertain, I think that's saying something. Mort usually knows something. I once heard Peyton Manning describe Mort as 'the guy that knows you're traded before you know you're traded.' As noted a couple of weeks ago during the Chargers-Broncos' Monday Night Football game, I think Gruden is dying to coach, right now. The question is... does he think he will have an opportunity this off-season at the NFL level? If not, the man loves coaching. I watched him coach 8th grade tight ends at the Manning Passing Academy two years ago. He just loves coaching, so I wouldn't completely rule him out. I have no doubt he misses watching film with a group of offensive coaches. You can only enjoy talking about "Gruden's Grinders" for so long.

Pete Roussel@coachingsearch
Jon Gruden wants to be coaching so badly tonight. He'll think about getting back in after this game tonight. He's dying to compete!
15 Oct 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

With respect to the potential price tag of a Gruden and staff arrangement, Basilio stated today that "Gruden's folks have come back to UT and lowered their demands somewhat. How much lower they've gone down I don't know.

ESPN put out a statement yesterday saying Gruden remains committed to that network. So, obviously they're hearing the chatter. Usually a release like that is a sure sign that something is cooking."

Reactions: 4 people
Arkansas rivals Mod (Brent Hubbs Equivalent for Hogs)
Okay, okay, maybe Arkansas made a huge and fantastic sales pitch, and maybe they asked what he thought about 6 million a year? Maybe he even slept on it. Bottom line, nothing connects these two parties other than the sport of football and a professional golfer. There are some fantastic rumors going around. Maybe some of them have a bit of validity? But when it's all said and done is the deal actually getting done? No

Reactions: 26 people
11/19

there is no reason as of today for me to have any doubts about gruden.

Final confirmation for me will be when gruden takes his ncaa test.

Shortly after that he will be standing next to hart as he's introduced as the head coach of the university of tennessee.
posted via volnation mobile

let me also say dooley really screwed things up by not getting this team to a bowl.

more of a timing transition issue.

it complicates things with espn and his transistion for a staff and recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Chris Low about to go on Finebaum to talk UT coaching search.

Will post updates to this post.

Dooley being fired is no surprise to anyone. 14-15 and losing to Vandy and Kentucky unacceptable. Tradition at TN too good for those results. Dooley did improve program from where it was when he began, next coach will have success easier and quicker.

Dooley chose not to coach because his family couldn't handle the rumors of him being fired any longer.

Jon Gruden has reached out to staff about Tennessee, told people he believes he can win at TN. He is a rockstar, every prospect in America will want to come to TN. He is worth 5-6 Mill. Always afraid of getting left at alter with JG.

Jon Gruden is itching to get back into coaching this year. Big question is NFL or college. Sincere in looking into jobs at college level. Believes he will be coaching somewhere next year.

Finebaum then dismisses all that and asks for more realistic names.

Jimbo, Strong, Mike Gundy, Tommy Tubberville were named by Low.

Finebaum asks about James Franklin, Chris Low believes that Arkansas has looked into him and JF doesn't want to go there, wants something better?? Thinks he will get big time offer soon. Auburn or Tennessee are possible, but TN people don't want to hire a Vandy coach...makes more money at Vandy than Dooley was. (2.7 M).

Petrino trying to get aggresive to get a job says Finebaum. Low doesn't think anyone in SEC will hire him this year. Too soon

Reactions: 7 people
From Wes Rucker on Memphis radio

(found this posted on VQ by LawVol)

"Jon Gruden is way more in play than most people realize, and there
are some in the athletic dept who would be absolutely stunned if they
don't get him".

Reactions: 48 people
"I did get the info on Dilfer from the article....that wasn't the point of the post. The point was I'm about 99% sure Gruden is coming. I could give u the details why I believe this to be true but I'm not throwing source under the bus." - babyvol on tos

Reactions: 5 people
BabyVol

Posted: Today 10:30 PM
Re: Quick question for the board????
I'm guessing Nov. 30th for biggest splash but that's a guess. All i was told is we are in on some mid termers so early December at latest.

Reactions: 9 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back