Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marquez North

Tennessee running backs coach stopped by North's school Wednesday. "He said they are looking at Jon Gruden, Charlie Strong, and a few other coaches.", North said. "He couldn't get into any specifics."

Reactions: 8 people
11/29 5:45 pm

havent been on these boards in a few years but got curious with the gruden thing...wow! Things have been busy!
(below info and my id can be verified by kiddiedoc and freak)

1. The og's as you call them have told you accurately. Their info lines up with what i had been told several times via a prominent booster with "unique" knowledge of this process along with corroborating secondary sources. I shared some of this information with the aforementioned mods.

2. Gruden hire has been in the works for quite a while.

3. He agreed to become our next hc or around oct 24 (when i received the text message).

4. This was reaffirmed to me as recently as thanksgiving, i.e. "gruden is done…"

5. Talks of "meetings" and what not falling through makes little sense under this context. A process that has already been agreed to in principle, and carried this far, would not be relying on an interview into december to “discuss the possibility” of this or that. He could have politely said no anywhere along the line weeks or even months ago.

6. Whatever else might remain, if anything, must be either a) legal stuff that simply takes a little work, b) he has a timeline that must be fit for reasons we are not necessarily privy to, or c) he backed out at the last minute. The rest it just noise. And unless he backed out in his sleep, and no one told anyone, the deal is still on.

7. The idea that hyams and hubbs got wind of a "special meeting" at the same time, of which they had no prior knowledge of, with a “non-candidate,” strikes me as being very suspicious. Almost as if someone wanted to quite things down? Just an opinion, i do not know that one way or another.

Hopefully that added a little something. There is much hope. Consider the merits as you will.

Reactions: 40 people
@VolRumorMill
Team meeting tomorrow is about grades and Christmas break I'm told. Nothing special... At least that's what the players know.

@VolRumorMill
Also hearing a #rumor that it may be a good idea to periodically check the website of a prominent Chattanooga newspaper. FYI

‏@VolRumorMill
“@StarSpangledVol: @VolRumorMill TFP?” (Whistle whistle)

Could be BS but so could 95% of this stuff.

Reactions: 4 people
LWSVOL just posted this on VQ.

"I don't know if they will meet or not. If the contentious issues don't get resolved I doubt either side will be satisfied with any contract. Depends on how insistentent the Agent (Gruden) are on some of the things they want. I doubt some are even Hart's call, if the things I was hearing are indeed points of contention.

I'm not about to list anything I was hearing because I don't know which may be true or not. BUT the point is valid. If there are control items being debated on who has what and they can't get those resolved, then a meet or contract is not likely. IMO"

"there are atheltic department / university finanncials that Hart has been working on within the university framework. the $18 million is not close to resolving athletic department constraints. has nothing to do with the next coaches contract. its athelic department operations.. our lack of a competitive reserve fund is big part of that..1.9 million versus 80 million at our rivals."

Reactions: 2 people
Originally Posted by Oldvol75:
I will tell you what I meant by 3. I started getting some texts around 4:30. saying a possible 3 pm presser. I began texting others trying to confirm and they did. I really, really, really hope this is true.

Reactions: 11 people
bcartervol98 (2,715)
07:05 PM Today (#P) ( Report! )
Pretty sure something is going on for tomorrow, I just hope there is no basis for the Tony B rumors. I doubt it, but if it all broke off or something it will break soon enough. No news by midnight and I call BS. I think if it becomes a point where Gruden is no longer a possibility we will hear from the AD almost immediately. Any other incoming coach will most likely insist on it. If #2 is who I think it is he will be playing on ESPN in an hour. Not a fan, but do not know much about him.

Disclaimer for those with challenged reading comprehension:

I AM NOT WAVERING just discussing lol. Anyone that says 100% this is done has more set in stone info than me. All signs point toward him being the guy, even reports to the contrary are usually opinions not facts. I am still 80% or so he will be the guy and at this point it would take a UT announcement to lower that.

Like I said last night in the last 24 hours two VERY reputable sources said completely opposite things and both said them emphatically. One without the other telling me something and I would bet the farm on it. Both saying completely opposite things is what is both puzzling and maddening. The CRAZY thing is the positive one is from AD side and the negative one is from the huge booster side. I feel like I'm in the freaking twilight zone!
Like[1]

Reactions: 9 people
Rucker is about to write some huge news apparently

Per Kevin Ryan from GoVols247:

If Jon Gruden is going to become the coach at Tennessee, it appears either he or Dave Hart is going to have to give ground when it comes to Gruden's salary demands.

Basically JG wants more than Saban, and Tennessee said that's too steep.

This isn't really news. This was rumored yesterday evening.

Last edited:
First post from Boomer_Vol.

This is my first post on here so I would like to say I'm not asking anyone to believe any thing I say, I'm simply telling you what has been relayed to me. This is just a disclaimer.

First off, let me start off by saying that I have followed this situation closely for many months now. I am in a position at the university (NOT staff) where a lot of my own dealings and the dealings of many of the people I have complete faith in come from within the athletic department. Again, take it for what it's worth from someone that you do not know and just happens to appear on a message board randomly.

Like I said, I've been following this situation very closely for some time now as I was told a little over a month ago that Gruden had agreed, in principle, to be the next coach of the university of Tennessee. Since then, I've received a lot of information from a few different sources on what has happened and what will be happening. I've been reluctant to tell anyone other than those close to me (within my immediate vicinity, pretty much) what I know/have been told.

But with what I've been told over the last several hours has made me very excited as to the future of our football program. The things I have been told also align closely, if not exactly, with what some of the other posters (that seem to have the faith of many) on here have said.

Down to it, this is what I know:
Gruden is still to be the head coach of the Vols. A lot of the things that have been reported in the media that pertain to bad news have been completely false and fabricated. Throughout this whole process, the smallest/worst chance we've had at actually reeling Gruden in was actually a couple of weeks ago; not this week. This week has actually been somewhat smooth sailing compared to some headless "running-around" that has happened pre-Thanksgiving.

An announcement should be made tomorrow. I was told that tomorrow would hold an announcement; either to introduce Jon Gruden as our coach, or to dispel the rumors and possibility of the coach coming here. I say 'should' because I've heard it to be tomorrow and I've also heard over the weekend, with the absolute latest being Monday. This is coming from the person I trust more than anything. Now, I've had that same person tell me it would be to introduce Gruden, and I've had someone that has given me ~50/50 information tell me it is to announce that the coaching search would shift its focus elsewhere. I stand firmly behind the belief that Gruden will be introduced some time in the afternoon, but I'm not sure at what time.

I can also tell you that this entire thing is on course as it was set in the beginning. Yes, things have changed over the last few weeks, as a coaching search is very dynamic, but the roadblocks and setbacks have been overcome, made up, and accelerated by some very prominent and "high powered" individuals, as well as some people that you would not think of that are working very, very, VERY hard behind the scenes. When all is said and done, these people deserve almost anything they want for all that they've done. One thing I've heard from people outside the few people I respect and trust is that his wife has been a huge driving force in all of this. I do not doubt that one bit, but I haven't been directly told that from my sources. Gruden is an insanely egomaniacal SOB; at the end of the day, Jon Gruden is going to do what Jon Gruden wants to do. Yes, he has a soft spot for his wife and her wishes, but she hasn't had as large of an affect as some are saying (THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT SHE HAS NOT HAD A ROLE, THOUGH). A lot of the support/feedback he's received from other coaches and assistants he has talked to has actually been a GIANT driving force for him to return to the sidelines; specifically at Tennessee. I've been told that it's been such an amazingly collective effort that it'd be a shame to credit this to one single person or a small group of people.

Again, I am very happy with what I've been told as to our immediate future. There are things that are to happen after we officially announce a coach that should turn out to be great positives for the university and the team. I firmly stand behind the belief that Gruden will be our head coach and will continue to feel that way until I am told differently or until I see differently. From what I know, the money is right on Gruden's part, and I've been told that they money for his "budget" is middle-grounded enough for him to be happy. I've also been told that the amount of authority he wishes for has been, for the most part, granted, with a quasi 'checks-and-balanaces' system. With what I've read from posters that seem to be highly respected here and comparing that to my own personal knowledge, I highly expect Gruden to be announced very, very soon, and I would be SHOCKED, and I mean absolutely dumbfounded, to see anything else different happen.

I'd like to say again that I do not come here with information to mis-lead anyone, and I also do not come here claiming absolute knowledge. I'm simply sharing what I'm told and what I know. If you disregard what someone says due to them "appearing out of nowhere", that is fine. I do not expect to gain any followers or credit for anything that I have put here; in fact, that is the last thing I want. I just thought it would be nice and maybe provide some sense of comfort.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let 'em rip. If you decide to fire at me trying to disprove what I've said I know or try to insult/downplay me, that is fine too. Like I said, I do not expect your immediate trust. But I will not defend myself or my claims.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 29 people
Rucker is saying that he has and 247 has learned UT and Gruden is almost dead. That UT did what it could to get Gruden, but Gruden told UT he is much more comfortable in the NFL.

He did not say talks were dead and would not completely shut the door on it.

Reactions: 3 people
Here's a message sent tonight from a prominent supporter to his list.

Learning more about terms and those issues in doubt.

Salaries - Enormous amounts on the table and they are close but not there yet. A sticking point is Gruden wants higher pay for coaches to attract NFL caliber assistants. He has already inquired with several coaching prospects. Money should not be a final roadblock.

Control Issues:

Assistants - Gruden must have complete control of hiring, firing and retaining of all staff. No interference from AD. No negotiating on this.

Scheduling - Grunden wants complete control over scheduling all games. AD wants to retain some say.

Gruden wants to play one national TV game against teams like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas and especially Oregon which we recently had on schedule.

Gruden only wants one buy game. Local interest or in-state schools like MTSU, UT Martin or Chattanooga only. No Georgia States, Buffalo, Montana, etc.

Gruden wants to play a competitive non-conference schedule to prepare his teams for SEC play. Other games would be against mid-level teams like Miami, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, TCU or Duke.

Recruiting - Gruden wants full control. AD must monitor for compliance. Recruiting budget still not resolved but just a mute money issue.

More forthcoming as available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
Mike Griffith ‏@MikeGriffith32
Haven't said much about Gruden rumors, but got call today, source says UT would pay Gruden more than Saban & give $$$ for all-star staff

Reactions: 19 people
Lauren Kittrell - Sports Editor at the Daily Beacon, Freelance Writer at KNS

@lkittre1
Predicting something big on Rocky Top tomorrow

Reactions: 16 people
Gary Haskew, 102.3 Chattanooga

FB Status on 11/29/12

"ONE LAST TIME....GRUDEN IS A VOL...GO TO SLEEP"

"I know what I know .....Big Jim said so.....go to bed and dream , dream, dream,..."

Reactions: 13 people
babyvol

Letterman
4981 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 10:32 PM
Re: I am more confused than ever!*
You will all know very soon! Babyvol knows!!!

Reactions: 1 person
For what it's worth, those who put press conferences on, the media/pr people aren't scheduled to be in town. One has traveled with the basketball team to DC and the head man is scheduled to be in Atlanta for meetings surrounding the SEC Championship game that all conference pr guys attend.

-Hubbs

Reactions: 2 people
babyvol

Letterman
4982 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 11:08 PM
Re: News
I'll clear it up some....my sources have said same thing from beginning.....media has reported complete opposite of what my sources say. That was what I meant when I said I have just as much info one way as the other. I even doubted my sources due to info media was reporting.....its tough going against media..but my neck is out there...we'll see soon!!!

Times Free basically sited two sources saying the deal was in Gruden's hands and that the hold up was money for staff. It worked for me about 10 minutes ago... interesting if it has been taken down.

They took down the page but I have it on my screen so this is it copy and pasted.

The decision about the new University of Tennessee football coach is in the hands of the man most Volunteers fans seem to want.

The Chattanooga Times Free Press has learned from sources close to the process that Super Bowl-winning coach Jon Gruden has been extended an offer to succeed Derek Dooley.

Sources confirmed that while details are still being negotiated, the university's offer is very lucrative and there is no firm deadline on a decision.

Gruden's decision likely will hinge on the money the school is willing to pay for his potential staff, the sources say.

"Right now, the money is there for him [Gruden], but they aren't as close as he would like for his assistants," one source said. "It could happen as soon as this weekend or go into next week, but he's pretty firm where he is and has already spoken with the guys he wants to be on the staff with him."

According to a different source, "He's told them they aren't close enough on money for the staff. He's very interested, but if they don't come up with what they need for the assistants, he's told them he's out."

Rumors began to surface late Wednesday afternoon that talks had broken down and that Gruden was no longer a candidate for the job. However, according to Times Free Press sources, that is not the case. As of Thursday evening, Gruden had weighed an offer but countered that more money would be needed for the staff he is assembling.

In the meantime, university officials are continuing to consider other candidates. However, the job is Gruden's if he decides to say yes.

UT officially began its search for a new coach after Dooley was fired Nov. 18 after three unsuccessful seasons.

The Vols finished with a losing record in all three of Dooley's seasons and a 15-21 overall record during his tenure, including 4-19 in Southeastern Conference games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back