Greg Schiano

Because it's May 25th and they have 12 commits already. We had the number 1 overall class around this time last year. How did that work out?

Rutgers has never once finished in the top 20 in recruiting to my knowledge. I highly doubt that trend will change any time soon. Despite their high ranking, their average ranking per recruit is only 88.67, which would place them outside the top 20 in the regard.

1. Rutgers doesn't have an exhausting and nauseatingly negative fan base empowered with a bully, troll media pulpit that is propped up to respectability by local media hacks that retweet/regurgitate the vitriol and worst tendencies of its fanatics.

2. Rutgers is a "never has been," "underdog" on-the-rise program in a P5 conference, rather than a punch line program in conference that people love to hate. (And make no mistake, the other conferences hate the SEC because of its historical dominance in athletics that matter, no the least of which is college football. And, they hate the SEC conference's strength, it's stability, it's media deals, and the fact that it does in fact "mean more," to southerners.) This is especially true of the Vols, whose fan base, for better and definitely for worse, are so "passionately" outspoken.

3. These young athletes (and their families) are almost a decade removed from the Penn State horrors. Greg Schiano, who admittedly (but not excusably) was removed from the direct events is now the guy who is seen as being victimized by those horrors several years later (thanks, again, social media). And, most people today are so desensitized or indifferent to the abuse (thank you ALL media, TV, radio, and internet) that it is easy to justify and explain away for the sake of a scholarship and possible NFL millions.

4. Schiano was a successful coach of multiple P5, championship winning programs. He is not some unproven, lower tier diamond in the rough. He is proving that he can win, and WINNING is all that matters.

Huh?

He was 3-6 last year. Granted, their last coach won 3 games total the prior 2 seasons, but that says more about that particular coach than it does about Schiano being any sort of good coach. Let's not forget he was never even considered for the HC job at OSU, even when Meyer was suspended.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
so, why did Ohio State not hire him as their HC when the opening came up?

There is a good answer for that- RYAN DAY. Only (5) coaches in the last 70 years so they only hire the best. Schiano is still better than anything Tennessee has had in the last decade, excluding kiffin.

Last edited:
There is a good answer for that- RYAN DAY. Only (5) coaches in the last 70 years so they only hire the best. Schiano is still better than anything Tennessee has had in the last decade, excluding kiffin.
You can make a plausible argument Schiano is better than Dooley. Dooley only won 4 conference games in 3 seasons, so it is an extremely low bar. I don't think he would have fared any better than Butch or Pruitt though.

Reactions: Carp and RDU VOL#14
Didn't Schiano ride the coat tails of a running back his last few years at Rutgers?

Huh?

He was 3-6 last year. Granted, their last coach won 3 games total the prior 2 seasons, but that says more about that particular coach than it does about Schiano being any sort of good coach. Let's not forget he was never even considered for the HC job at OSU, even when Meyer was suspended.
Yep. If he was all that, somebody besides that cradle of college football would have grabbed him. Didn’t see a bunch of schools beating down his door. If you paid any attention to his time in the NFL, you would know he is a jerk and would have been as bad of a fit as Pruitt was. I am perfectly fine that he got R-U-N-N-O-F-T by any means necessary before he ever set foot in Knoxville. End of discussion.

Congratulations. That means he’s the tallest midget in the midget parade. That ain’t a high bar.

No he isn't. Butch wasn't a terrible coach. He was a good coach either. Somewhere in the middle. He was just a ****** guy.

Pfft...Asleep, Kiffin outcoaches him.
If Ray Rice had never been born this would look a lot different.

Schiano's a trend setter though...blowing up victory formations is a sure sign of over compensating.

I say schedule a game with Rutgers in Neyland Stadium. Now THAT would be interesting to see. Where is the popcorn glyph when you need it. What would happen when Schiano ran out of the vistors locker room? Warm welcome? I doubt Heupel would pull a "Georgia State". That was coaching. That game was not a game of a team being more physical and bigger. It was lack of prep on Dumarse Pruitt's part. Take Tennessee and the points against Rutgers.

How does he do it? Rutgers has the 7th ranked recruiting class right now!
Ahh I see your back again...Yeah nobody is impressed...Tell your boy to bring his Scarlet Knights into Neyland for a game and we'll expose your boy as the poser he really is...Now run along.

No he's not ...Butch was a better coach than him too and that's not really saying much.

Ahh I see your back again...Yeah nobody is impressed...Tell your boy to bring his Scarlet Knights into Neyland for a game and we'll expose your boy as the poser he really is...Now run along.

Haha! You mistook me for a Rutgers apologist, which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm no Schiano fan, and am mindful that he was just 1 game above .500 during his last tenure there. That's why I was surprised that Rutgers had managed to pull in some decent talent. Rutgers boosters may not be familiar with the old adage, " fool me once, shame on you -fool me twice, shame on me!"

As for me, I'm hoping Josh Heupel can shake things up this season and surprise some folks. This won't be the same staid offense we're used to seeing. His style of play at UCF left many teams gasping for air, due to quick no huddle and sheer numbers of plays . For big laughs, look up Pitt's 2018 vs.UCF flops YouTube , and witness perfectly healthy Pitt Panthers looking towards the sidelines, before collapsing in heaps on the field. In one instance, UCF is down on Pitt's 2 when a DL commits the most unconvincing pratfall ever! UCF's right guard, Cole Schneider, comes out of his stance and begins to enthusiastically applaud the "performance!" UCF went on to win, 45-14. One of Heupel's best games. Didn't hurt that McKenzie Milton was under center.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLnMiami
He's a good fit at Rutgers. Been there before and won. Would have been a terrible fit here. He might have lasted a year or 2 longer. But inevitably we would have been looking for a replacement just like Pruitt.

Reactions: joevol33
1. Rutgers doesn't have an exhausting and nauseatingly negative fan base empowered with a bully, troll media pulpit that is propped up to respectability by local media hacks that retweet/regurgitate the vitriol and worst tendencies of its fanatics.

2. Rutgers is a "never has been," "underdog" on-the-rise program in a P5 conference, rather than a punch line program in conference that people love to hate. (And make no mistake, the other conferences hate the SEC because of its historical dominance in athletics that matter, no the least of which is college football. And, they hate the SEC conference's strength, it's stability, it's media deals, and the fact that it does in fact "mean more," to southerners.) This is especially true of the Vols, whose fan base, for better and definitely for worse, are so "passionately" outspoken.

3. These young athletes (and their families) are almost a decade removed from the Penn State horrors. Greg Schiano, who admittedly (but not excusably) was removed from the direct events is now the guy who is seen as being victimized by those horrors several years later (thanks, again, social media). And, most people today are so desensitized or indifferent to the abuse (thank you ALL media, TV, radio, and internet) that it is easy to justify and explain away for the sake of a scholarship and possible NFL millions.

4. Schiano was a successful coach of multiple P5, championship winning programs. He is not some unproven, lower tier diamond in the rough. He is proving that he can win, and WINNING is all that matters.

Jesus ****ing Christ it's like Wolken wrote it himself. Blaming the fans is beyond beating a dead horse, we're we the reason for success too or did we just have a better ****ing staff and team back then? Schiano is a ~.500 coach, he isn't jack **** and you Schiano nut tuggers are ****ing fooling yourselves with these wannabe type of stats.

Reactions: StarRaider and Remy
Jesus ****ing Christ it's like Wolken wrote it himself. Blaming the fans is beyond beating a dead horse, we're we the reason for success too or did we just have a better ****ing staff and team back then? Schiano is a ~.500 coach, he isn't jack **** and you Schiano nut tuggers are ****ing fooling yourselves with these wannabe type of stats.
The problem is the fan base "flexed" and we lost. There is no way we are in this bad of shape if we had hired Schiano. I did not want him. But here we are. Fans "flexed" and the program got worse as a result. Maybe the "fans" should not have this much influence in coaching searches.

Reactions: orange blossom
Just so you know, this guy that we "flexed on" was well known, and well liked, and had been recruited by half the kids we had on the squad at the time. If he winds up in the NFL he could have already. We really did damage his reputation and he took no action. He doesn't HAVE to be in college at this point.

VN Store

Back