Great season, but Vols not getting to Omaha…

The Braves won the World Series as an 88 win team. The Dodgers (106 wins) and Giants (107 wins) were forced to play each other in the divisional round. The Braves beat a 95 win team 3-1, a 106 win team 4-2, and another 95 win team 4-2. I guess all of those teams choked too? Or maybe it’s just the nature of the sport, because rarely does the best team in baseball win the championship.

The Braves picked up some great players before the trade deadline that propelled them to the title...Before the trades, they were dead in the water...

I was extremely proud of our Vol baseball team. I followed every game on tv or the internet. They definitely played their hearts out. I played baseball as a catcher all my young life. However, I NEVER watch pro baseball. To me it is a very boring game to watch. After I finished college I really wanted to coach baseball in high school but my life was led in a different way. I have several opinions about baseball and I am going to express one that is not going to be accepted by Vol fans but those who really understand the game will privately agree with me. Here goes..............give me a team that has CONSISTANT base hitters from #! through #9 rather than 3 or 4 hitters that sporadically hit home runs !!! IN OTHER WORDS, ON A ROUTINE BASIS CONSISTANT BASE HITS WIN MORE BALLGAMES THAN DO HOME RUNS. And I am not throwing stones at our sluggers , thank God for them. Just my personal opinion and I respect yours !

I’d say peaked too early than choked.
when-the-jokes-in-the-comments-make-no-sense-then-i-check-the-title-and-realize-i-clicked-t-comments-179237.gif

was a choke job of epic proportions. TN was 4-0 vs two teams in the finals.

Some of you may disagree, but I bet CTV and ball players privately agree with me. A great opportunity lost.
So OU did a “double epic” choke.. winning 2-1, give up 2 runs on WP/PB, and 1 on a hit."…agree great opportunity lost. Ole Miss won, happy for‘em.…blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then

Some of you may disagree, but I bet CTV and ball players privately agree with me. A great opportunity lost.

I bet you've been popped on the ole nose quiet a bit...........

Baseball is a weird game. I remember one time in the 80's the Braves swept the eventual World Series champs at home one year (I think it was the Dodgers) and they finished last in their division. More so than any other sport, it's all about being hot at the right time.

You do realize that throwing a Game to Vanderbilt and taking a 10 day Rest and Recuperation played into this run.
Great Strategy and had Tennessee taken a 10 day R&R before the Regionals one could reasonably assume it would make a difference.

Reactions: VolPack22
Baseball is a weird game. I remember one time in the 80's the Braves swept the eventual World Series champs at home one year (I think it was the Dodgers) and they finished last in their division. More so than any other sport, it's all about being hot at the right time.
Correct...I've been a baseball guy since listening late into the night to Bob Gibson, Tim McC and the rest of those HOF Cardinal teams as a youth. One thing you can count on in baseball is something out of the ordinary WILL happen. Lots of examples of the best teams NOT winning have been given (Braves winning it all last year about as good an example as you can find) so the Vols were in really good company not winning it all this year. IF one does not understand this basic fact about baseball....YOU WILL BE MISERABLE AS A FAN! Heck...we lost a mid week game to a team we win against 95% of the time. ITS BASEBALL!

I was extremely proud of our Vol baseball team. I followed every game on tv or the internet. They definitely played their hearts out. I played baseball as a catcher all my young life. However, I NEVER watch pro baseball. To me it is a very boring game to watch. After I finished college I really wanted to coach baseball in high school but my life was led in a different way. I have several opinions about baseball and I am going to express one that is not going to be accepted by Vol fans but those who really understand the game will privately agree with me. Here goes..............give me a team that has CONSISTANT base hitters from #! through #9 rather than 3 or 4 hitters that sporadically hit home runs !!! IN OTHER WORDS, ON A ROUTINE BASIS CONSISTANT BASE HITS WIN MORE BALLGAMES THAN DO HOME RUNS. And I am not throwing stones at our sluggers , thank God for them. Just my personal opinion and I respect yours !
I hate to break it to you but we had a .308 batting average as an entire team. We were 16th in the country in that category, 6th in hits, 2nd in walks, 3rd in doubles, T11th in triples, 1st in HR, 1st in slugging, 4th in OBP, 1st in runs, 4th in runs/gm, What more do you want?

“CONSISTANT BASE HITS WIN MORE BALLGAMES THAN DO HOME RUNS.”

Well we hit the most home runs and won more games than anyone in the country. Your statement is false.

The Braves picked up some great players before the trade deadline that propelled them to the title...Before the trades, they were dead in the water...
We also lost Acuna so I would say those guys equaled him as a collective player.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I hate to break it to you but we had a .308 batting average as an entire team. We were 16th in the country in that category, 6th in hits, 2nd in walks, 3rd in doubles, T11th in triples, 1st in HR, 1st in slugging, 4th in OBP, 1st in runs, 4th in runs/gm, What more do you want?

Well we hit the most home runs and won more games than anyone in the country. Your statement is false.
Didn't get us in the championship game did it ???

Didn't get us in the championship game did it ???
Way to answer a question with a question 👍

If you actually watched the games then you would find out that it was surprisingly our pitching that let us down in the end. It’s baseball, stuff happens, get over it, and life goes on…

I have my answer 😜

I have my answer 😜
I know what I am doing . Really none of your business how I answer a question ! I imagine I have forgotten more about English grammar than you will ever know.............I just have 17 years of school.

I know what I am doing . Really none of your business how I answer a question ! I imagine I have forgotten more about English grammar than you will ever know.............I just have 17 years of school.
Ok professor 😂

Not sure what English has to do with having a debate about baseball but now I know you are a troll. What would you have us do “coach” 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: MAD and feathersax

When faced with Facts people refuse to believe them.
Add to it, we made a few more errors than normal and some critical in-game decisions that may have cost us a game.
Great Team, Great Players, bad timing and decisions.
@ReelfootVol What's done is done, learn from it, and look forward vs trying to go into the Paralysis of Analysis mode.

And yes I am guilty as well, my only thought is what does this team do with a 10 day rest.

Yes, I would agree about having a lineup of good hitters vs. a few good hitters and a few guys who hit homers but don't hit for average. Still, the way the ball flies out of parks in college baseball nowadays, you can win a lot of games with a group that hits a lot of homers--as we've shown--but, yea, too much reliance on the long ball can be a problem. We've shown that as well. As an aside, I'm convinced the balls are the reason that there are so many home runs these days than in the past. It's often been cited as the reason for the big upswing in home runs in MLB, and my bet the same is true for college baseball.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When faced with Facts people refuse to believe them.
Add to it, we made a few more errors than normal and some critical in-game decisions that may have cost us a game.
Great Team, Great Players, bad timing and decisions.
@ReelfootVol What's done is done, learn from it, and look forward vs trying to go into the Paralysis of Analysis mode.

And yes I am guilty as well, my only thought is what does this team do with a 10 day rest.
This team had enough depth that I scratched my head several times as to why guys like Beck, didn’t get more rest. Russell caught too many games. You could go through the lineup and see several areas where CTV could have rested guys more.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
This team had enough depth that I scratched my head several times as to why guys like Beck, didn’t get more rest. Russell caught too many games. You could go through the lineup and see several areas where CTV could have rested guys more.
I’m sure CTV was wanting to redshirt a lot of players.

You are the type of "fan" that I abhor. I am sure that CTV is not very happy with the results, but I also guarantee that this type of post that they would reply "GREAT JOB" to either. They had a great season with a disappointing end, period. I just wanted to let you know that as I remove the stench of these types of posts from my screen. buh bye!

I also find it amusing that you cannot spell “consistent” correctly even with all that schooling. I imagine you could learn something about being humble and not being so defensive, even though the facts were given to you…

Dang. Rocket science. Great call.

VN Store

Back