Great Reggie White Story

Fantastic to hear. There are probably hundreds of stories similar about Reggie. I loved him as a Vol, but I loved the fact he spoke truth about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ a whole lot more. Miss you big guy.

I remember seeing him around campus his senior year. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had gone up to him and said hello at some point. But I was a freshman and it just didn't seem like the right thing to do at the time. I did enjoy watching him play from the student section and consider myself lucky to have those memories.

Reactions: Teeman and Alto1
Reggie came to our school and spoke with FCA. He was such a fantastic speaker! He told the story about an opposing player that kept cursing at him the whole game. Reggie kept responding “The Lord is coming for you.” Finally, after repeating the phrase several times, upon snap, he yelled “Here he comes” and flattened the guy

I took a class with him and the McKenzies when I was at UT. Sat right next to them. Reggie was always respectful, hard working, and very nice, but struggled in the class. The McKenzies didn’t pay attention at all, one of them literally drew war pictures all through class. It was amazing that we had those 3 future NFL behemoths on the same team.

Walter Lewis tells the story of getting pile driven into the turf by Reggie once. Walter was dazed and his helmet had been racked sideways (back then a defensive player could actually hit the QB). Reggie then hoisted Walter up to his eye level and said "Walter, God loves you brother!" I absolutely love that story!

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Vol376
I saw him play against LSU and absolutely dominate. I think it was 1983 in Knoxville. They couldn't block or stop him.

Reactions: kbear01
Reggie’s father was Al White. Al played professional softball ( yeah I know it’s not really professional) for some of the top teams in Chattanooga during the 60s & 70s. Al played centerfield and whistled during the entire game.

I shared this story a few years back but I'll go ahead and share it again because it's a funny story. I was in Gibbs back in the early 80's and a bunch of us were looking out the 2nd story window over the inner parking lot. All of a sudden, Coach Majors drove his Cadillac in and parked in his reserved parking spot. Unbeknownst to him, Reggie had seen him drive in and had quickly gotten down on his hands and knees and scurried behind Majors' car and posted himself just behind the driver's door. A minute or so later, Majors opened the door and stepped out of the car & right then Reggie started barking like a German Shepherd (& it was loud!!)! Majors let a few expletives fly as he jumped back in his car and slammed the door. Right then, Reggie stood up outside the driver's window and had a good laugh. Majors' said a few things I cannot repeat and then started laughing along with Reggie.

I wouldn't recommend any football player doing this to his coach unless he was an All-American many times running.

CroKev and SDV, both of your tales had the same effect on and it's hard to stop.

laughing-my-ass-off-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: MaTaLa
I saw him play against LSU and absolutely dominate. I think it was 1983 in Knoxville. They couldn't block or stop him.
I was there. That was my first game, at Neyland Stadium. He absolutely destroyed the LSU offense. They couldn't run at him, away from him, or even pass. They even tried to roll away from him, only to have him run it down from behind. They tried a reverse, and he forced the ball carrier 10 yds deep, and it turned into a huge loss. He forced a couple of fumbles. Recovered one, and batted down a couple of passes. I think he had 6 tackles for loss, in that game.
He was amazing, at every level of the game, and every level of life. A true role-model, for all human beings.

Did you catch what Coach Fisher said..."Reggie probably ran a 4.6 40"...that is absolutely unbelievable. If I recall correctly when Reggie was maybe a freshman or even sophomore he began to question whether God wanted him to continue playing football. I've heard during a discussion with Coach Majors, Johnny told him, "Reggie, God didn't make you 6'5" 285lbs and run like a deer for no reason!". I remember hearing Reggie speak at my church one night not real long after he had retired (he and our pastor where close friends). Once Reggie was finished the pastor brought Reggie's daughter to the stage (she was maybe 12-13 at the time) and ask her to sing a song that she had sung for him earlier in his study. It was absolutely beautiful. Just a precious family. I'm sure Reggie heard these words in heaven - "WELL DONE THOU GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT".

VN Store

Back