Great breakdown of this year's players.

Was a good write up, thanks for posting. I like to hear words straight from a coach's mouth, and we usually don't hear too much from Schwartz. And if we do, I'm just not paying attention then. lol I'm really looking forward to watching this team play this year.

"There's going to be a real emphasis on rebounding, from backcourt to front court" per Schwartz. This is how you help solve our Achilles' heel.
I still believe that teams with big physical post players are going to give us problems. On the plus side we'll be able to press those type teams and sounds like we're going to try and run their bigs up and down the court. I like hearing that we're going to be looking to push with whoever gets the rebound, I also liked hearing that Pons has improved his dribble drive, with his athleticism he needs to drive and finish more, resulting in easy points and likely free throws.

Was a good write up, thanks for posting. I like to hear words straight from a coach's mouth, and we usually don't hear too much from Schwartz. And if we do, I'm just not paying attention then. lol I'm really looking forward to watching this team play this year.
Schwartz seems like a great guy, he's a good follow on social media. We've got a top notch staff right now I feel. I like hearing all the defensive talk and the get out and run type style it sounds like we're going to see.

Reactions: supersmo18
Schwartz seems like a great guy, he's a good follow on social media. We've got a top notch staff right now I feel. I like hearing all the defensive talk and the get out and run type style it sounds like we're going to see.

I’d be happy with him or English taking over whenever Barnes retires

I still believe that teams with big physical post players are going to give us problems. On the plus side we'll be able to press those type teams and sounds like we're going to try and run their bigs up and down the court. I like hearing that we're going to be looking to push with whoever gets the rebound, I also liked hearing that Pons has improved his dribble drive, with his athleticism he needs to drive and finish more, resulting in easy points and likely free throws.
Yes, pushing the ball no matter the rebounder, and hearing Pons has improved his driving. They're going to push that ball up the court......should be a blast.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I still believe that teams with big physical post players are going to give us problems.
Seems like the rules have changed such that there’s not many big powerful bangers in post anymore. If we do play some of those then they better be able to shoot free throws as we’ve got 25 fouls to throw at them.

Seems like the rules have changed such that there’s not many big powerful bangers in post anymore. If we do play some of those then they better be able to shoot free throws as we’ve got 25 fouls to throw at them.

Probably more importantly will be we will have lots of 5 on 4 situations with MOST of our bigs being way above average speed, with the exception of our biggest big and I doubt he would lose too many races down the court.... i really do expect a lot of pressure full time full court with subs being ready to go...

I think we can mitigate a team with a single dominant big man with our athleticism. Teams with multiple bigs who can eat up rebounds and protect the paint will give us fits, but teams with multiple game-changing bigs are few and far between, these days.

I think we can mitigate a team with a single dominant big man with our athleticism. Teams with multiple bigs who can eat up rebounds and protect the paint will give us fits, but teams with multiple game-changing bigs are few and far between, these days.
Come tournament time it just takes one though.

Come tournament time it just takes one though.
True, but if that’s our draw, we just have to figure out how to attack hit with ball movement on offense and try to get them in foul trouble. Defensively, we have to fight for position and allow Pons to come across the lane on help defense to utilize his shot-blocking ability. Fulk has a penchant for frustrating opposing big men.

Name the last team to win the big dance mainly due to having a dominant banging big man?
I never said that's what wins championships I simply stated I think we'll struggle vs those type teams. As for your question I would say that Michigan State has done pretty good lately with the way their bigs play physically.

Wow, thanks for posting, Giles neighbor. Great write up. I have been screaming for years at Barnes that he needs a rotation of 9-10 guys if we have any hope of making a post-season run...and that we need to build that rotation from the first day of the season. With the player-by-player review in this article, he should have no problem at all building a consistent rotation of 9-10. If we have the depth, and it surely sounds like we do, we can spread the minutes around and wear teams down...and actually still have some spring in our legs come tourney time.

So it is written...so let it be done!

Wow, thanks for posting, Giles neighbor. Great write up. I have been screaming for years at Barnes that he needs a rotation of 9-10 guys if we have any hope of making a post-season run...and that we need to build that rotation from the first day of the season. With the player-by-player review in this article, he should have no problem at all building a consistent rotation of 9-10. If we have the depth, and it surely sounds like we do, we can spread the minutes around and wear teams down...and actually still have some spring in our legs come tourney time.

So it is written...so let it be done!
Roland James was a balla, too young to remember him at UT, but he was a Pro Bowl player with the Patriots, even tho I couldn't stand them. I always rooted for James and Stanley Morgan to ball out, but even then, I never liked the Patriots. I think it was because Steve Grogan freaked me out as a 10 year old kid, with his long a$$ neck

Roland James was a balla, too young to remember him at UT, but he was a Pro Bowl player with the Patriots, even tho I couldn't stand them. I always rooted for James and Stanley Morgan to ball out, but even then, I never liked the Patriots. I think it was because Steve Grogan freaked me out as a 10 year old kid, with his long a$$ neck

He was indeed, my friend. He thrilled my generation while at UT -- All-SEC, All-American, first-round draft pick, electric DB and returner, and also ran track. Dude was quick as a cat and a burner when we were becoming Wide Receiver U (with Stanley Morgan, Willie Gault, et al). Tough tackler. What really impresses me most is what he has done with his life after a great run with the Patriots -- working with kids. Check the link.

From 2007...The Strong Safety

He was indeed, my friend. He thrilled my generation while at UT -- All-SEC, All-American, first-round draft pick, electric DB and returner, and also ran track. Dude was quick as a cat and a burner when we were becoming Wide Receiver U (with Stanley Morgan, Willie Gault, et al). Tough tackler. What really impresses me most is what he has done with his life after a great run with the Patriots -- working with kids. Check the link.

From 2007...The Strong Safety
This is really awesome. I was a big fan of his, and I appreciate the link. Great to see!

After reading this article, my interpretation is as follows. This is a 8 guy rotation who will have consistent minutes with 3 other guys (Plavsic, Nkamhoua, Gaines), who will contribute in different situations. Nkamhoua has the best chance of the 3 to earn extra minutes. Vescovi is the starting PG. We will run and attack often offensively and play in your face defense for the entire game. We can play small ball with James playing the 4 or play big with Pons at the 3. Bailey will be a big offensive spark off the bench. Overall, these coaches really like what they got to work with.

I'd like to see Pember redshirt this season. Hit the weightroom every morning, and shoot 1000 3's a day until the 2021-2022 season

VN Store

Back