Grant Williams rated the No. 11 returning player by Andy Katz

They're back: 35 top returning scorers to watch in 2018-19
Grant Williams, Tennessee
Prediction: 15.4 PPG
If this prediction strikes you as a tad low for a reigning SEC player of the year, do keep in mind that Williams will be playing alongside Admiral Schofield and, well, just about everyone else who went out and won a share of the regular-season SEC title in 2017-18. Conversely, if Williams were to develop a 3-point shot (stranger things have happened), this prediction would be more than a tad low.

Looking forward to seeing if an offseason of weight training has him rebounding with more aggression, he seemed almost too nice sometimes.

I wonder though if he was as aggressive on rebounds as he is on offense would he get more fouls called on him....

I think the whole team is well conditioned

Yeah, Grant will be so much better, this year, healthy. I'm so pumped for basketball, with Triple J committing, the jacked up team pic with JRich, BMaze and Loften, the big jump Walker, Pons and JJ are getting ready to make and the depressing state of UT football. I still think the regular season record might not be as good as last year. But, I see a run in the SEC and NCAA Tourney. In fact, UT's first SEC Championship since '79(?) and their 2nd Elite 8 (maybe better with the right match-up) is my way too early prediction.

Reactions: marvin616
Yeah, Grant will be so much better, this year, healthy. I'm so pumped for basketball, with Triple J committing, the jacked up team pic with JRich, BMaze and Loften, the big jump Walker, Pons and JJ are getting ready to make and the depressing state of UT football. I still think the regular season record might not be as good as last year. But, I see a run in the SEC and NCAA Tourney. In fact, UT's first SEC Championship since '79(?) and their 2nd Elite 8 (maybe better with the right match-up) is my way too early prediction.
My concern is that predictions/expectations like this are going to ruin the season. Just like football fans who were predicting we’d go 8-4, or better this year, we just seem to put too high of expectations on our team.

I won’t be a bit surprised to see this team finish 4th in the SEC, be a 6 seed in the NCAA tourney, lose in the 2nd rd or Sweet 16, and have everyone who thinks we should win the SEC again come crashing down on them and Barnes. It would still be a good season, but not top-5 team kind of good that people are coming to expect, especially now that they are looking for anything to cheer for with the football team being a trainwreck. Casual basketball fans are the worst, and their expectations generally are stupid because they don’t understand the game. This place will be full of those types this season.

I just hate being the hunter. Much prefer the underdog role. We are one Jordan Bone injury away from being in trouble at PG, IMO, and that could quickly turn our fortunes. Lamonte Turner can fill that role, but I much prefer him playing off the ball.

Not intended as a shot at you Dog. Just my two cents on handling expectations.

Reactions: The Dog
My concern is that predictions/expectations like this are going to ruin the season. Just like football fans who were predicting we’d go 8-4, or better this year, we just seem to put too high of expectations on our team.

I won’t be a bit surprised to see this team finish 4th in the SEC, be a 6 seed in the NCAA tourney, lose in the 2nd rd or Sweet 16, and have everyone who thinks we should win the SEC again come crashing down on them and Barnes. It would still be a good season, but not top-5 team kind of good that people are coming to expect, especially now that they are looking for anything to cheer for with the football team being a trainwreck. Casual basketball fans are the worst, and their expectations generally are stupid because they don’t understand the game. This place will be full of those types this season.

I just hate being the hunter. Much prefer the underdog role. We are one Jordan Bone injury away from being in trouble at PG, IMO, and that could quickly turn our fortunes. Lamonte Turner can fill that role, but I much prefer him playing off the ball.

Not intended as a shot at you Dog. Just my two cents on handling expectations.
Championship or bust for me...Jk lol, but man would that be nice. The only two sports teams I even care about is Tennessee and the Chicago Bears. I've never witnessed a championship from either of these two teams. I was born in 92, so I wasn't alive for the 85 Bears, and I didn't even watch sports in 1998 when we won a natty. I'm itching for a championship or Super Bowl, and honestly our basketball team is the only one that could realistically achieve that for me this year. If the Bears would have drafted Mahomes instead of Trubisky and paired him with our defense, then it'd be a different story for them.

The NCAAT is all about getting hot at the right time. We have the talent for sure, but we need to get hot, have a tad bit of luck, and stay injury free. That game would have been completely different with Alexander out there last year. We got killed in the paint. We need a completely healthy squad.

Yeah, high expectations can kill coaches careers. Not saying Barnes will be in any trouble if we crash and burn. But, I smell what u are cooking. I just think this team plays so hard, smart, too well coached and has so much player leadership (Admiral and Grant) that they will thrive even if they don't win the SEC.

I love Grant and everything he brings to the table but the way Admiral was playing down the stretch makes me think he may be the best player on the team this year. Either way it will be fun to watch.

Who cares about their inside game, the NBA has changed a lot in the past 10 years and the Warriors win games from the perimeter.

Hard to argue with 4 straight conference titles and 3 championships in 4 years. Hate it or love it they are the best team in the league and have been for awhile.

In every era old guys will talk about how teams of years past were better, doesnt matter the sport.
I suspect that the league is better now then it used to be just simply because they have the best athletes in the world to choose from now whereas back in the day they were having to get by just on the output from the NCAA. But overall, arguing about different eras is childish.

I suspect that the league is better now then it used to be just simply because they have the best athletes in the world to choose from now whereas back in the day they were having to get by just on the output from the NCAA. But overall, arguing about different eras is childish.
Wildcard move bumping a post from almost 3 months ago.

I could put together a winning argument for either side of that debate, I honestly just enjoy stirring the pot. But at this point I catch infractions very easily so my only option is to jump into the mud and put together fundamentally superior, well-worded arguments a la high school debate team.

I don’t even know what my real opinion on the subject is, I feel like it could go either way.

At the risk of being childish I’ll my throw my 2 cents at the pot. I agree with Indy, that both sides of this argument has merits. But to your point players are coming from everywhere and they’re mostly bigger, faster and stronger.(hate to use that I know it gets used all the time in all sports)

But on the flip side, and I’m sure I’ll be in the minority but I enjoyed seeing(at the time) the most physically gifted players understand the basics. For example, never fouling a 3 pt shooter, always recognizing the sidelines and never being on it when the ball comes to you, pulling up when it’s clear a player is settin up for a charge... I really could go on but those are a few irks I have. And I realize players did that back in the day but I guarantee not at the rate dumb crap is done today.

Guess my main point is I think it’s a good argument either way and enjoy seeing people’s opinions, as long as their given with a little maturity. Jmo

Imho, due to similar traits ( undersized 4 man, stronger & more athletic than most their size) i think Grant needs to pattern his game after Charles Barkley. Dominate the glass -10+ RBs, block a few shots, and score 15-20 PT’s per game. It’ll get him in the HoF

Imho, due to similar traits ( undersized 4 man, stronger & more athletic than most their size) i think Grant needs to pattern his game after Charles Barkley. Dominate the glass -10+ RBs, block a few shots, and score 15-20 PT’s per game. It’ll get him in the HoF
True, but nobody in the history of the NBA could rebound like Barkley, considering Chuck was really only 6'4 and a half. Grant is no where need as an explosive jumper as Barkley, let along as strong as a rebounder. Still, Grant is a very good college basketball player and has 2 more years to become a great college basketball player. I hope Grant ends up being a great NBA player but I doubt it. Honestly, I doubt Grant ever plays a full NBA season. I hope I'm wrong, but it still won't diminish what kind of college player he is and I expect he will be even better these next 2 years. If he leads UT to another SEC Tourney Championship and an Elite 8 run (like I'm predicting this year), he could go down as a top 5 player in UT history, which would still be pretty damn good. No matter if he ever plays in the NBA

I dont think Williams or Schofield are NBA players but that's not a knock on them because they've been damn fine players for us.

They may have a cup of coffee in the league but Williams is a post in a wings body and Schofield is cut from the same cloth.

I dont think Williams or Schofield are NBA players but that's not a knock on them because they've been damn fine players for us.

They may have a cup of coffee in the league but Williams is a post in a wings body and Schofield is cut from the same cloth.

I think Schofield has the better chance, his perimeter game has developed enough to where him playing some 3 is at least possibility in the league, same can’t yet be said for Williams. I think Schofield will have to continue to work on his lateral quickness so that he can become an above average defender as well, but imo he has the better chance between the 2, at least as of today.

I think Schofield has the better chance, his perimeter game has developed enough to where him playing some 3 is at least possibility in the league, same can’t yet be said for Williams. I think Schofield will have to continue to work on his lateral quickness so that he can become an above average defender as well, but imo he has the better chance between the 2, at least as of today.
Agree. If AS had JRich’s defensive chops, he’d have a much better shot in the league and more rounded game.

People in this forum seem to hype up Schofield a lot in terms of NBA potential. No doubt, he has it, but I don't think he's as close as many believe as of this moment.

People in this forum seem to hype up Schofield a lot in terms of NBA potential. No doubt, he has it, but I don't think he's as close as many believe as of this moment.

Depends on his ability to defend. If he can defend he’ll be a worthwhile NBA player

Reactions: Lefteye
True, but nobody in the history of the NBA could rebound like Barkley, considering Chuck was really only 6'4 and a half. Grant is no where need as an explosive jumper as Barkley, let along as strong as a rebounder. Still, Grant is a very good college basketball player and has 2 more years to become a great college basketball player. I hope Grant ends up being a great NBA player but I doubt it. Honestly, I doubt Grant ever plays a full NBA season. I hope I'm wrong, but it still won't diminish what kind of college player he is and I expect he will be even better these next 2 years. If he leads UT to another SEC Tourney Championship and an Elite 8 run (like I'm predicting this year), he could go down as a top 5 player in UT history, which would still be pretty damn good. No matter if he ever plays in the NBA
Barkley's college state weren't all that, except for rebounding. That's definitely an area Williams needs to improve.

The CBS crew has Grant ranked as the 6th best player in CBB

6. Grant Williams | Tennessee | Junior | Forward
The reigning SEC Player of the Year is a powerhouse in the post, one of the best offensive rebounders in college basketball and a foul-drawing magnet. Tennessee's a well-rounded team (arguably better than Kentucky this season), but don't assume this is a faceless group. Williams is fantastic and a preseason national player of the year candidate.

College basketball rankings: The top 100 (and one) best players for the 2018-19 season

Reactions: Dallasbowlin

VN Store

Back