'20 Grad Transfer RB Trey Sermon

Sorry, but Ian Anderson confirms the theft.

Who to believe....who to believe. rofl

Did the Eagles Get the “Hotel California” Chords from Jethro Tull? | Guitar World

From Ian Anderson:

“It’s not plagiarism. It’s just the same chord sequence,” he says. “It’s in a different time signature, different key, different context. And its a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can’t feel anything other than happiness for their sake, and I feel flattered had they come across that chord sequence. It’s difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn’t been used and hasn’t been the focus of lots of pieces of music. Harmonic progression—it’s almost a mathematical certainty that you’re gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you’re strumming a few chords on a guitar.”

Reactions: Vols4us
Did the Eagles Get the “Hotel California” Chords from Jethro Tull? | Guitar World

From Ian Anderson:

“It’s not plagiarism. It’s just the same chord sequence,” he says. “It’s in a different time signature, different key, different context. And its a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can’t feel anything other than happiness for their sake, and I feel flattered had they come across that chord sequence. It’s difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn’t been used and hasn’t been the focus of lots of pieces of music. Harmonic progression—it’s almost a mathematical certainty that you’re gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you’re strumming a few chords on a guitar.”

This. Riffs are, have been, and will always be, 'borrowed'. Clapton freely admitted that 2 songs off of Disraeli Gears - Tales of Brave Ulysses and Dance the Night Away, were borrowed from songs by groups he liked. The riff for ToBU came from The Loving Spoonful's Summer in the City, and DtNA was from an old Byrd's riff (can't remember now which song), and Clapton even used the 12-string guitar that defined Byrd's songs to get that same jangly guitar sound. But while it was in the same time signature, he changed the progression and the structure of the songs enough so that it is not blatantly noticeable when you listen to the song.

But it's when you blatantly copy a riff and make no effort to disguise it, is when you get in trouble, and was why Led Zeppelin was successfully sued a few times.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib

VN Store

Back