Government Gas Can

Coug

So after, oh I don't know 25 years, the little plastic gas cap that goes on the end of the spout on my gas can came unconnected from the gas can. I thought, ok fine, it's been 25 years I'll just buy a new gas can and it'll be fine, nope! What the f*** is this s***?! I've never seen so many safety devices built into a gas can in my life. The first negative was when I took this POS to the gas station to celebrate it's inaugural filling and I had to operate a safety latch just to get the spout unscrewed to fill it. It's got some stupid plastic contraption where you stick the gas spout into the can. If it doesn't cause the pump to shut off it's causing gas to splash up and out of the damn can, how it that safe?! After I fill it up I'm walking around the gas pumps looking for some paper towels to clean up a mess I'd never made in the last 25 years of filling up an apparently extremely unsafe, and explosive gas can. So I get home, the sun is going down and I'm ready to fill up the mower and cut the grass. I grab the can tip it up, push what I think is a lever that releases the gas and nothing comes out. Well, when I was at the gas station whatever instructions I might have found while there I tossed into the trash thinking "it's a gas can how hard can this be?" The joke was clearly on me at that point. If I threw this can up against a wall as hard as I could rest assured not a single drop is spilling out of this gas SAFE. When you have to go on youtube to figure out how to get gas out of the can and into the mower the world has seriously gone to s***!

scepter-gas-cans-fr1g501-64_1000.jpg

I'm only laughing because I've had a similar experience. I couldn't, for the life of me, get mine to pour, so I eventually had to just remove the entire cap/spout/spring/safety mechanism/booby trap. Soaking my hands and generator with gas wasn't exactly my plan at the tailgate. It's mind-numbing to think that somebody actually invented that kind of crap and thought they had come up with a good product.

I'm only laughing because I've had a similar experience. I couldn't, for the life of me, get mine to pour, so I eventually had to just remove the entire cap/spout/spring/safety mechanism/booby trap. Soaking my hands and generator with gas wasn't exactly my plan at the tailgate. It's mind-numbing to think that somebody actually invented that kind of crap and thought they had come up with a good product.
My mom has one and her Mule was out of gas, I went to fill it and said wtf is this. I’m supposed to hold and turn some **** while guessing how full the tank is? All my yard stuff is electric so I haven’t bought a gas can in years. I wound up taking off the stupid nozzle and pouring it in with a funnel. I would guess these things have made gas cans less safe, a lot of people are probably doing what I did.

The metal ones from harbor freight still have a type of safety nozzle but work and flow better than a lot of the other recent designs ive seen

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The new crap takes a NASA engineer to pour your damn gas. I buy old cans at yard sales when I see them and like someone else posted you can get them on eBay and Amazon pretty cheap.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We found one that seemed awful complicated at first, but man. Once we figured out how the hell to use it, it's the best gas can ever. Never have to touch a single thing that has gas on it. I was impressed.

It’s like they ran out of funding before testing the design... decision to package and ship made by some num-nut.

Reactions: malinoisvol
My mom has one and her Mule was out of gas, I went to fill it and said wtf is this. I’m supposed to hold and turn some **** while guessing how full the tank is? All my yard stuff is electric so I haven’t bought a gas can in years. I wound up taking off the stupid nozzle and pouring it in with a funnel. I would guess these things have made gas cans less safe, a lot of people are probably doing what I did.
Exactly. When hurricane Barry was heading toward us, I just filled old cans, new cans and gen tank by taking everything off and using funnel. Best can I have is old metal Jerry can, and I repainted it olive drab.

I've got something similar. Once you get used to it, you'll enjoy that feature. Having said that I'm a huge fan of the military jerry cans with a siphon hose like this one....

Hello, Tesla, make me an electric riding mower that will ninja mulch 5 acres on a single charge, then, issue a software update that will extend it to 10 acres. Oh, and keep the price at or below current gas models.

People still sell the old style ones on eBay. It might cost you a few dollars more, but just do a search for Chilton Gas Cans, and then find one that’s the size you want.

VN Store

Back