Gotta give Rae Burrell a thread of her own...

lvocd

... because... WOW! Did she bring the instant energy, or what?!

Kellie has to be extremely pleased with how aggressive and confident Rae was last night. If she had any nervousness it sure didn't show. :D

Last season Burrell could often be counted on to provide an instant energy boost, but last night she showed that she's added the ability to convert that energy into more points on the board. I was impressed, and left the arena thinking she was the highlight of the night.

Yes, late in the game there were a couple of times that she lost control a bit, but even then I didn't mind it too much because she was at least attacking consistently and was playing without fear or overthinking everything. I love Rae's mindset, and I believe she could have a special season.

The most important part of any BB team, IMHO is the first sub, or, 6th man.

They can come in and change the direction of the players on the floor.
e.g..Vinnie "the microwave" Johnson

All players want to start,,,but few can do this task,,,,thus the special acknowledgement.....The don't have guard of the year or forward of the year,,,but they do have 6th man of the year

I agree. Makes me think of another player from Las Vegas, Dearica Hamby of the Las Vegas Aces, who won the 2019 WNBA 6th Woman of the Year. Hamby brought instant energy, points, and rebounds off the bench. She was fun to watch and was a big reason for the Aces’ success this season.

Kellie has to be extremely pleased with how aggressive and confident Rae was last night. If she had any nervousness it sure didn't show. :D

Last season Burrell could often be counted on to provide an instant energy boost, but last night she showed that she's added the ability to convert that energy into more points on the board. I was impressed, and left the arena thinking she was the highlight of the night.

Yes, late in the game there were a couple of times that she lost control a bit, but even then I didn't mind it too much because she was at least attacking consistently and was playing without fear or overthinking everything. I love Rae's mindset, and I believe she could have a special season.
I agree! She was the spark off the bench. Now she should be rewarded with a starting spot. Rennia can't do it all & won't.
Tennessee is a much better team attacking and in transition.
Horston, Zay and Rae run the floor on a mission!

Don't know how vocal she is, but Rae is leading by example.

Kinda like that teed-off scowl like a junkyard dog protecting its turf.

"You want this? Come and get it. And then, if you're still around and on your feet, you can have a big ol' second helping.

You'll take it...and you'll like it."

Bob Conrad would have dropped that battery and run like heck if Rae had accepted his challenge. Wild West indeed.

Last edited:

Yep and she was last year and now again one of my favorite players !! The old staff never gave her a chance to do anything without jerking her out back to the dungeon! She will end up a very good player and shooter with Kellie supporting her. Best looking shot on the team! JMHO as always! SS

Don't know how vocal she is, but Rae is leading by example.

Kinda like that teed-off scowl like a junkyard dog protecting its turf.

"You want this? Come and get it. And then, if you're still around and on your feet, you can have a big ol' second helping.

You'll take it...and you'll like it."

Bob Conrad would have dropped that battery and run like heck if Rae had accepted his challenge. Wild West indeed.
That's cool 😊😊😎👍

6th man? That would be stupid in my opinion. It was easy to see who the best players were last night and Rae is definitely one of them. You put your best on the floor. You don't save them for this 6th non sense. Davis, Zay, Rae and Horston were the best on the floor last night. KK or Key for the big if you need one. If there is a 6th man, that is Lou in my opinion. She brought it when she was out there. I see Horston taking over at point a few games in. We need some offense from that position.

I agree. She was the highlight for me. So smooth and quick to the basket.

Rae and Lou both played with the kind of intensity we'll need through every quarter and through the entire season.

Props to Lou for making me cringe a couple of times with those dives she took. Homegirl was going for it! Definitely not playing like someone who was out with an ACL tear. Really impressiveast night, both of them.

The most important part of any BB team, IMHO is the first sub, or, 6th man.

They can come in and change the direction of the players on the floor.
e.g..Vinnie "the microwave" Johnson

All players want to start,,,but few can do this task,,,,thus the special acknowledgement.....The don't have guard of the year or forward of the year,,,but they do have 6th man of the year

I agree. There are many examples of this, including in Tn. Don DeVoe, a UTn Men's BB Coach played a guy as the 6th man one year, saying he could have been All-SEC had he started him instead. The legendary
Vernon Osborne, Alcoa Boys HS BB Coach, used that weapon successfully with players who could easily be starters. There is an energizing, &, psychological aspect to this strategy.

Reactions: lvocd
Agree, Rae was my bright spot. Last year she seemed like a talented wild pony badly needing to be tamed. Hopefully that's happening now. Also agree just put Horston at point, let her take frosh lumps and get it over with. Its inevitable considering the options.

Rae has better coordination than last season. Her shot looks better would love to see her and Davis on the wings when the game is one the line.

Reactions: lvocd
Rae has better coordination than last season. Her shot looks better would love to see her and Davis on the wings when the game is one the line.

Agreed, appears she worked on her ball handing a TON. She was still a little out of control a couple times, but I’ll take a couple out of control plays for that energy every day of the week. Her defense looked more solid as well, she was reading the passing lanes and got her hands on a lot of passes.

Agreed, appears she worked on her ball handing a TON. She was still a little out of control a couple times, but I’ll take a couple out of control plays for that energy every day of the week. Her defense looked more solid as well, she was reading the passing lanes and got her hands on a lot of passes.
Yes she still hasn't found a shot she doesn't like and that is where Kellie comes in. She took three or four bad ones after a great start ended up 5 of 13 which is not the efficiency we need from any player. Knowing when to take a shot and when to pass to a player with a better shot is something this team is still learning.

Yes she still hasn't found a shot she doesn't like and that is where Kellie comes in. She took three or four bad ones after a great start ended up 5 of 13 which is not the efficiency we need from any player. Knowing when to take a shot and when to pass to a player with a better shot is something this team is still learning.

Agreed. I did feel passing was one aspect that really was lacking in the exhibition game. I think they only had 6 assists?

Reactions: T.J.
KK will not be hard to defend nor score on.

Sadly I agree, she still has slow feet and she hasn’t learned the art of a shot fake. The center for CN had SIX blocks the other night because our post players just turn and try to go right up. She was considerably shorter but just stood straight up and stuffed our big girls all night. I hope they can come along this season and find some “mean.”

Sadly I agree, she still has slow feet and she hasn’t learned the art of a shot fake. The center for CN had SIX blocks the other night because our post players just turn and try to go right up. She was considerably shorter but just stood straight up and stuffed our big girls all night. I hope they can come along this season and find some “mean.”
Yes, brings the ball down so low much shorter defenders can slap at it. CN was all over our post players.

VN Store

Back