Goodbye Arizona...hello Texas A&M. Lady Vol Soccer marches on!

StrangeVol

Sunday afternoon, 5:00 pm, round 3 of the playoffs...another chance to kick some Aggie butt. Be there!

Saturday a.m.: I want to add a little to this post game post. First I have to say how much respect I have for the Arizona team, they are VERY good and relentless. They brought to mind an image or a pack of greyhounds running down a rabbit We were fortunate to escape with the win. To me, this game was so good and fun to watch that you almost hate to see either side lose.

Got to give major "props" to Danielle Marcano! She just flat out won this game for us almost single handed. I think I now have a fuller appreciation for just how good she is. A shout out to Junior Salera Jordan who scored the opening goal on a counter-attack just inside the top of the 18-yard box. The lightly used F/M had only scored 1 goal this season until yesterday. This is an example of a player stepping up to fill in for injured teammates. Well done Salera!

So we're back in the sweet 16 for the first time since 2007. Should we make it through to the elite 8 it will be the first time we've ever been there, as far as I can tell? We just have to push through and get a result against the Aggies.

GO LADY SOCCER VOLS!!!

Last edited:
If UT beat A&M and Stanford happens to lose, do the Vols get home field next week?

This is awesome. We embarrased A&M last time. I expect a battle this time. Home pitch will be the deciding factor. If we win, will that be UTs best performance ever in the NCAA Tourney ?

Reactions: RollerVol
If UT beat A&M and Stanford happens to lose, do the Vols get home field next week?

Good question but I have no idea. However, it would seem reasonable to think so. Given a minute to think about it, if the #1 seed gets knocked out then I imagine the quarter-finals would be held on the home field of the #2 seed in the bracket of the next highest seed still surviving if the #2 seed was eliminated.

"The Road to the Championship" on the NCAA site says the quarterfinal sites are not predetermined.

The semifinals and finals are both in Cary North Carolina

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
LSU had their fairytale come to an end...we on the other hand are still living ours...just another unreal game loaded with drama...you'd think I'd be used to it by now...first Sweet 16 visit since 2007...how sweet it is...:D

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LSU had their fairytale come to an end...we on the other hand are still living ours...just another unreal game loaded with drama...you'd think I'd be used to it by now...first Sweet 16 visit since 2007...how sweet it is...:D

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, "livin' the dream" we are. Here's a fun thought: Beat the Aggies on Sunday and we are in our first Elite Eight ever! :)

Occasionally one of the matches will make it to mainstream TV, but that's a pretty rare occurrence. ESPN is about as good as it gets so women's sports usually exist in the streaming world. To get on major networks you need fans and women's college soccer, unfortunately, doesn't draw many fans. Just the way it is, sadly.

While I understand the situation intellectually, as a former longtime softball coach it still ticks me off that the women who play sports and play them very well, just aren't appreciated as they should be. Perhaps time will alter this situation for the better. :)

*whistles a few bars of "Keep on the Sunny Side" through clenched teeth*

VN Store

Back