Good Idea?

Xanny

This was in the Tennessean today;

"The Vols' next hire is expected to come from within. Greg Adkins, who's coached tight ends and also served as the recruiting coordinator, has emerged as the strong favorite to get the offensive line job.

Fulmer said when Cutcliffe was hired that Adkins was a candidate for the job. Adkins, who assisted Jimmy Ray Stephens on the offensive line the last three years, also worked with the offensive line at Georgia under Jim Donnan."

I will admit Adkins does a great job recruiting but I have not been overly impressed with our 3rd tackle, I mean TE. It is probably the most under utilized position on the team given the impact it can have. Look at GA, ND, LSU - under Saban. Maybe it will work with Cut being back and game p;anning for the TE.

UGA's TE is a one man show. Of course his height and weight have a lot to do with it but the guy's phenomenal.

Jason Whitten was a great tightend and he is a starting TE for Dallas. He may even be the 2nd best receiver on Dallas team. I don't know why we don't throw to the TE more often. The few times we have throw to the TE the play usually went for a great gain. Last years win over Florida was partly from a pass to a tightend. Hopefully that will be a more utilized position next year. Heck they already have 3 TEs commited.

If Adkins can get the job done and it opens up a spot for a special teams coach, I'm all for it.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Nov 30, 2005 5:21 PM
If Adkins can get the job done and it opens up a spot for a special teams coach, I'm all for it.
[snapback]205820[/snapback]​

:post-20645-1119625378: here, here!!

i don't know if it was because of a lack of confidence in our TE that he wasn't used, but I do think it would help the offense if he was utilized more.

Yet again, we refuse to look anywhere else but our own gene pool to fill a coaching vacancy.

I'm not saying Adkins isn't good or won't do a great job. I just wish we really would look to the outside to fill vacancies rather than just promote from within.

Originally posted by bluemoney@Nov 30, 2005 12:22 PM
Tightend? What's that?  :biggrin2:
[snapback]205660[/snapback]​

A tackle that can catch the ball without having to tell the ref that he is an eligible receiver.

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Nov 30, 2005 5:35 PM
Yet again, we refuse to look anywhere else but our own gene pool to fill a coaching vacancy.

I'm not saying Adkins isn't good or won't do a great job.  I just wish we really would look to the outside to fill vacancies rather than just promote from within.
[snapback]205885[/snapback]​

I feel the same way. He may do a good job, but it appears to be just more of the same old, same old.

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Nov 30, 2005 5:35 PM
I'm not saying Adkins isn't good or won't do a great job.  I just wish we really would look to the outside to fill vacancies rather than just promote from within.
]"He's a guy that has obtained a lot of knowledge overall," Cutcliffe said. "He understands the big picture. I really believe that's extremely important to have in a coach that's coaching people up front because they help the offensive linemen understand what we're doing, not just 'I've got to block this guy.' I'm a big believer in that.

"I think Greg's very talented."

:dunno: We'll see...

We'd better start using our TE's more, we have 3 already committed for next year. If they all sign that would give us 6 on the roster.

its official hes OL coach, questionable decission considering he was only in tight ends, last time we promoted a tight end coach to offensive line coach he only lasted a year before being fired.

VN Store

Back