Good cinderellas all have certain attributes...

armchair

and I'm thinking of Cornell, N. Iowa, St. Mary's...the Zags many years in the past.

1) Enough size to hold their own inside--on offense and defense. Their bigs aren't great, but they are good enough to add scoring and not get pushed around--well, at least until this point.

2) team chemistry: I think all three of the above have mostly senior lineups that have played together for a long time. Very helpful.

3) Smart play on offense, which translates into good passing and ball movement, working the clock to shorten the game, smart shot selections, few wasted possessions.

4) They shoot well, especially the three: Good grief, Cornell shot 61 percent against wisconsin and I think they were over 50 percent in their first game. I mean, I suppose this is a no-brainer: every team has to shoot well to win, and especially the smaller schools who lack ballers. Three-point shooting efficiency is HUGE in the tourney. Have a bad night shooting or defending the trey and you are OUT.

All of which is my way of saying: It would be so SWEET to see Cornell beat the kitties. A major longshot, but so was No. Iowa.

To beat UK, Cornell has to have another great (50%+) shooting night from 3 point land. Then they have to run a packed in zone against Kentucky and hope Kentucky misses 3 pointers.

VN Store

Back