Gonzaga-UCLA

Schasz

That game last night was one of the really great finishes for a semi-final in NCAA history. Of course I am excited because the Zags won the game and have a chance to win their 1st NCAA Championship on Monday night. They got an A game from their opponent UCLA and still pulled off the win on the buzzer beating 3 by Suggs.

That game last night was one of the really great finishes for a semi-final in NCAA history. Of course I am excited because the Zags won the game and have a chance to win their 1st NCAA Championship on Monday night. They got an A game from their opponent UCLA and still pulled off the win on the buzzer beating 3 by Suggs.

It was an incredible game, back and forth the entire game. That shot at the buzzer was just a fantastic way to finish the game. I think that is probably one of the all time best basketball games I’ve seen in a while. The Zags are a great team, their bigs are so good in the paint, their passes are so quick and effective. That 1/2 court pass to the basket on the drive just was amazing! Go Zags! I’m cheering for a perfect season.

Have to admit, I was pulling for the under dog. Of course that's been the kiss of death for anyone I pulled for this season. Oh well. Binge watched Breaking Bad for about the third time between games after TN exited. Binge watching helps if you're going to torture yourself with TN sports in the future.

This was my first full game watching the Zags. Tall quick and fast. Their driving to the rim is almost to quick to understand until you see several minutes of play. FAST!!! That being said and not watching them much, it looked to me like Timmie and them. This guy was beyond belief last night.

I took UCLA at -14. I thought they’d keep it close but not have a chance to win. Great game and terrific effort by the Bruins

Yeah, one of the best college bball games I've ever seen. Few runs a class program, hoping they can finally bring an NCAA championship home - but Baylor does look really strong...

Great game start to finish no doubt. I think the Zags got a bit of zebra love at times. I was pulling for the underdog. With that said I'm now on the Zags wagon. Would hate to see them lose it now, but Baylor ain't no dang slouch. Should be a dandy

Reactions: BigDave
Great game start to finish no doubt. I think the Zags got a bit of zebra love at times. I was pulling for the underdog. With that said I'm now on the Zags wagon. Would hate to see them lose it now, but Baylor ain't no dang slouch. Should be a dandy
It was the best game I've seen all year but the Zags definitely had the zebra love going in their favor especially in the first half

What did that game have to do with Vol basketball?

Shows what UT needs to do to get to that level: elite point fair play, aggressive half court offense attacking the rim w/ three ball perimeter shooting,
rebounding on both sides of the court and defense.

The Vols need to turn over the roster quite a bit along with a couple of guys from the portal.

Reactions: Tnphil
What did that game have to do with Vol basketball?
Probably the irony that Phil gave Barnes a raise to keep him from going to UCLA, which, if it had happened.... would likely instead have been them being bounced in the first round, if they even made it to the Tournament.

Probably the irony that Phil gave Barnes a raise to keep him from going to UCLA, which, if it had happened.... would likely instead have been them being bounced in the first round, if they even made it to the Tournament.
I don’t know Austin...lots of “ifs, maybe’s, and probably’s” there for me to be comfortable with that statement. CRB is a HOF coach for sure but your point is understood.

Last edited:
Interesting take. Hadn’t considered the UCLA/Barnes connection. After such an emotional game...the Zags better beware of a mental letdown against Baylor.

Nobody knows what UCLA would’ve done with Barnes. Cronin had never even made an Elite Eight, much less a Final Four, until he got to UCLA. He had the “March choker” label attached to him at Cincinnati.

Reactions: irish1485
Zags got a lot of Zebra love

That's not irony, but things may have played out differently had UT released Barnes and hired Cronin to replace him.

Well, the game illustrates how silly the vitriole against Rick for his tournament record is. As has been pointed out several times, there are always a number of flukish plays or bad calls or bad non-calls that knock teams out of the tournament. Here, Cronin is ousted on a shot that missed badly enough to go in on the ricochet. If it's Rick, the consensus on here is how disappointing he is as a tourney coach, not how often such things end his season.

I am an underdog guy myself, and an 11 seed would have been the lowest seed ever in the final game.

That being said, Gonzaga winning was not upsetting at all. Few has a great program and is considered a "mid-major" due to their conference affiliation. I am all for them winning as well. Was kinda surprised they hadn't won the championship before.

I'll be rooting for a great game. Either team wins, I'll be happy for that program.

Just glad Duke wasn't in it this year,

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back