Gonzaga is on the ropes

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
Does Gonzaga have the resume to actually get into the Dance this year without winning the WCC Tournament?

Maybe I am missing something here, however, they only have 4 wins against the Top 100, only two of those are in the Top 50. On top of that, they are playing in one of the weakest conferences in the nation.

I have to think that if a team from the WCC, other than their Tourney Champ, makes the field of 65, then that is nothing more than a slap in the face to the major conferences, and teams such as Tosu and K-State who have less wins yet play a completely different level of competition week in and week out.

Maybe I am missing something here, however, they only have 4 wins against the Top 100, only two of those are in the Top 50. On top of that, they are playing in one of the weakest conferences in the nation.
There will be multiple at large teams in the field with fewer than 4 wins against the top 100.

I have to think that if a team from the WCC, other than their Tourney Champ, makes the field of 65, then that is nothing more than a slap in the face to the major conferences, and teams such as Tosu and K-State who have less wins yet play a completely different level of competition week in and week out.
Gonzaga played a much better nonconference schedule than both of those teams. St. Mary's annihilated the Oregon team that won in Manhattan.

Gonzaga played a much better nonconference schedule than both of those teams. St. Mary's annihilated the Oregon team that won in Manhattan.
I am not quite sure that "annihilated" is the word I would use. It was pretty much kept under 10 for the first 35 minutes. I am also not impressed by a team that simply has to get up for one or two competitive games, annually, against good competition. UK, UF, Tosu, and K-State are all more deserving than WCC Tourney runner-up.

UK, UF, Tosu, and K-State are all more deserving than WCC Tourney runner-up.

Gonzaga: 3-5 vs RPI Top 50
St. Mary's: 2-3 vs RPI Top 50
Kentucky: 4-7 vs RPI Top 50
Florida: 2-8 vs RPI Top 50

I'm going to post KSU's because they aren't on the real bubble.

Gonzaga: 3-5 vs RPI Top 50
St. Mary's: 2-3 vs RPI Top 50
Kentucky: 4-7 vs RPI Top 50
Florida: 2-8 vs RPI Top 50

I'm going to post KSU's because they aren't on the real bubble.
Gonzaga has only beaten two teams that are ranked within the latest RPI Top 50.

Check Kenpom. They are 3-5 v Top 50. Western Kentucky is top 50.
Fair enough...and when WKU loses their 3rd straight game to S. Alabama and drop out of the Top 50, then we will once again be at "Gonzaga has only beaten two teams in the Top 50."

I am not quite sure that "annihilated" is the word I would use. It was pretty much kept under 10 for the first 35 minutes. I am also not impressed by a team that simply has to get up for one or two competitive games, annually, against good competition. UK, UF, Tosu, and K-State are all more deserving than WCC Tourney runner-up.
Florida has done exactly nothing to deserve a bid. Their best nonconference win was against Temple. They've beaten nobody of value on the road in the SEC. Anyone who has seen Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and Florida play and thinks the Gators are better than the other two needs to find another hobby, because they obviously have no clue about what they're watching.

It's okay, people will believe in St. Mary's once they have a number 1 seed on the ropes with 2 minutes to play in the round of 32

It's okay, people will believe in St. Mary's once they have a number 1 seed on the ropes with 2 minutes to play in the round of 32

As I talked about before, Randy Bennett can flat out coach. I'm shocked he's still at St. Mary's.

VN Store

Back