Golden Tate

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Timeout with Golden Tate

By BRYAN MULLEN
Staff Writer

Golden Tate is the golden boy of high school football in Middle Tennessee. The Pope John Paul II running back, who also stars in baseball, is regarded as the 9th-best prep football athlete in the nation, according to Rivals.com, and the second-best college football prospect in Tennessee. The senior has drawn serious interest from almost every SEC school, as well as Notre Dame and Georgia Tech. He sat down this week with The Tennessean's Bryan Mullen to discuss football, the craziness of recruiting, sweet tea, Tom Sawyer, and other things.
On how he got his first name, Golden. …
"I got it from my father. He's Golden Tate II, I'm the third. It just happened to be my dad's father's name, and it's been passed down. People always ask if it's my nickname and I always say no. They ask if my brother's name is silver, platinum or copper. I just laugh at it now. I've heard that more than 100 times."
advertisement_300.gif
1pix.gif
OAS_AD('300x250_1'); [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
1pix.gif

On the stress of being a top college recruit. …
"Right now it's not very stressful because I'm making sure I focus on school and my team. That comes before me figuring out where I'm going to college. But I do have caller ID, and if I see another area code that isn't my dad's or other family, I ignore it. I do that mostly when I'm doing homework or am busy. I'll get about three calls a night and sometimes they call at about 9:30 p.m. I'll just act sleepy."
On whom he roots for when Vanderbilt plays Tennessee. …
"Definitely, definitely Vandy. I love underdogs and Vandy is closer than UT is. I can't think back that far to when I was an underdog, but I know as a school we were. I can relate."
So where is he going?
"I have six colleges I really like, but I really don't know. I haven't taken any official visits yet. I'm just trying to worry about high school right now."

is regarded as the 9th-best prep football athlete in the nation, according to Rivals.com, and the second-best college football prospect in Tennessee
Not a bad year for a state so barren of football talent.

Don't like to hear that he roots for Vandy when they play us, regardless of the underdog angle

Let's see . . . plays for a Private Catholic School . . . whose uniforms are navy blue and gold . . . first name is "Golden" . . . Roots against UT . . .

Bet he's giving Notre Dame a look?

Yeah, this recruit is a tough one to lose... but let's look at it this way...

He's no Patrick Turner.

Count your blessings.

I don't give a rats ____ if the kid is the next Jerry Rice. If he pulls for Vandy he just needs to move on. That goes for any recruit, anywhere...anytime. I hate Vandy.

I don't give a rats ____ if the kid is the next Jerry Rice. If he pulls for Vandy he just needs to move on. That goes for any recruit, anywhere...anytime. I hate Vandy.
I would expound on Lex's point, but there's no reason to mess with perfection.

did ND ever offer this kid? I know he was waiting for an offer but last time I checked they had not shown that much interest.

Exactly. Reminds me of the story about Darryl Royal, hall of fame coach for Texas, he would only pay one recruiting visit to a Texas kid. He said if it required more than that to get a native of his own state to comit to wear the burnt orange of the University of Texas, then he didn't want them! (Of course when you have the population of Texas to recruit from, you can be a liitle more selective than at Tennessee).

P.S. OK to complete the metaphor "Rat's_____" LIO won't mind since the second part is in the Bible(KJ version).:)

What do you want to bet that 2yrs from now everybody's saying Golden who? I think he's more hype than substance. He plays in Div. II in Nashville, which isnt exactly going to overwhelm anyone with talent except for 2 schools, Brentwood Acad. and MBA.

He isn't in that division rex. He is in the lower DII division(which has noone worth a damn). He hasn't been offered by any of the big FLA 3 nor ND. I could really see him going to Bama or Vandy at this point.

VN Store

Back