GM Halting Truck Production

What is the reason behind the chip shortage? Seriously. And serious replies only please.

I'm aware there is one but haven't read about the underlying reason. I assume it's supply chain or labor, or combo

When the auto manufacturers shut down because they were not deemed essential the electronic (phone, xbox etc) that were started buying the chips. They locked in supply basically eating up most of the supply and now the auto manufacturers can’t get them.

Reactions: VolnJC
When the auto manufacturers shut down because they were not deemed essential the electronic (phone, xbox etc) that were started buying the chips. They locked in supply basically eating up most of the supply and now the auto manufacturers can’t get them.
I supplement this by saying we don't make crap in the US anymore and if we did Biden & Company would make sure they had to compete with free money from the gubment. It's time to put all of our new "citizens" to work making cheap crap to pay for their free ride.

I live near a Microcenter right now. In order to prevent online sales from snapping up all of the products but bulk buyers and resellers, they put a good portion of incoming product for in-store sales only, and at a limited number.

When Intel, amd, and Nvidia announce a product release date, people now camp out in front of the store because of the thin amount of product coming in.

It's time to bring chip manufacturing home.
How very Trumpet of you

Reactions: hog88
OSB is all the way down to 37$.
You should be impressed with that. It’s down nearly 20%. Isn’t that awesome?

It’s still only up 300% from 2 years ago

The ONLY people who claim lumber prices are down have never bought a single piece. It isn’t just lumber either, sheet metal, wiring, pvc, etc. are all way up in prices

Awesome read. Toyota is certainly known for their "inefficient" supply chain.
Maybe they poorly phrased that or was meaning that the supply chains are extremely energy inefficient, not necessarily inefficient with regards to meeting JIT manufacturing needs.
These industries have inefficient supply chains, and even if they could get chips to move upstream, it could take months for them to reach the end product, he said.

Maybe they poorly phrased that or was meaning that the supply chains are extremely energy inefficient, not necessarily inefficient with regards to meeting JIT manufacturing needs.

I took it more as he doesnt know what the F he is talking about.

My former company fully embraced the Toyota production system and while it had a lot of good ideas, a major disruption sent the entire operation into disarray. We went from keeping a months worth of inventory to a few days and while it saved a lot of money initially when a hiccup in a piece of machinery happened there was hell to pay if it didn't get fixed right away and sometimes that doesn't happen.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
38$ for OSB Friday.
So glad some stupid mother ****ers think that lumber is back down again.

It averaged 8.50 for trumps 4 years.

Lumber prices are down. It is the inventory selling off before you see the difference. Our supply chain issues are far greater than any one president. We've been in trouble for years, it just took a catastrophe to highlight the issue.

Reactions: VolStrom
Lumber prices are down. It is the inventory selling off before you see the difference. Our supply chain issues are far greater than any one president. We've been in trouble for years, it just took a catastrophe to highlight the issue.
Lumber prices wasn't really about the supply chain. It was a cut in supply

Exactly what do you think caused the lumber spike?

I’ve been doing this for years. I understand the way lumber works. And at our current pricing and inventory pile up puts us on pace to level out at 22$ for OSB. So only up 200% from 2 years ago. Do you think that’s on par with or outpaced inflation?
And while we’re at it wire and electrical supplies is expected to level out at 280% up from that same time frame.

Reactions: VolStrom and hog88
Exactly what do you think caused the lumber spike?

I’ve been doing this for years. I understand the way lumber works. And at our current pricing and inventory pile up puts us on pace to level out at 22$ for OSB. So only up 200% from 2 years ago. Do you think that’s on par with or outpaced inflation?
And while we’re at it wire and electrical supplies is expected to level out at 280% up from that same time frame.

Love it when lawyers want to discuss material or durable goods pricing.

Lumber prices wasn't really about the supply chain. It was a cut in supply

And the inability to restart quickly due to labor issues when the demand unexpectedly rose during the pandemic. Furthermore, we have delivery issues due to a lack of truck drivers.

And for Pepi Le Jew - So, since the prices are down to pre Biden levels... I assume you are blaming Trump for the lumber price increase.

So he gets all the blame when the prices go up but none of the credit when they come back down? Seems totally reasonable.

Biden ain't brought the price of s*** down. Not lumber. Not gas. We are still having lumber price increases to our company on a weekly basis.

Reactions: allvol123

VN Store

Back