Glimmer of hope for QB?

NATHAN05

Stuck in Gator land, hurry up retirement!!
In pruitts SEC presser today, Pruitt made the remark that they are narrowing down their QB option for this Saturday. Also referenced that several guys have gotten reps. I'm one that has posted that at this point, put HB in the fire and let him develop and play the long term benefits. Thank you to JG and what he's done for 5 years, but he's just not SEC caliber.

Jeremy Pruitt shares lessons he learned from Nick Saban, has high praise for Alabama offense

CHANNEL TN (@CHANNEL_TN_) Tweeted:
What a throw by Maurer https://t.co/2J4XAJfofU

Just saying...

You know I never really thought a ton about that throw because Quez was so wide open. But watching it just now, the subtlety of taking 2 steps away from a rush while keeping the eyes downfield looks incredible right now. Its something so simple that every QB at this level should be able to do, but I completely forgot what it looks like when a passer in Orange & White does it. Amazing!

That’s good to hear. Even if JG starts, at least the other guys are getting reps now.

Which is what should have been happening all along, that is the only way you have someone else ready. There is absolutely no reason jg has got 100% of reps with the ones all year especially with his inconsistant play.

I think Maurer is getting healthy and is going to get the start. I will probably be wrong, but it's just a feeling I got. He has had some playing time, he has a pretty good understanding of the offense and while he is a risk taker I think he energizes the team and is capable of making plays JG cannot make. He is also mobile and mobile qb's that can throw are what gives bama the most trouble. He probably gives us the best chance to compete with bama. I love the energy he brings when he is out there. I hope his hamstring is healed, if it is go with Maurer and back him up with Bailey this week. Hopefully we can let Maurer go the distance, and don't yank him on one mistake roll with him awhile and see if he can get the mojo going. GBO!
GBO!

The best thing for us is if they limit the play book. 1-2 reads and throw the ball away. Needs to be 3-5 step drops max. Slants, screens and every once in a while long throw on the sidelines
Won't have time for much else. Our 5 star tackles have had their azzes handed to them lately and Bama has some of the same type players.

Reactions: 08Vol
Won't have time for much else. Our 5 star tackles have had their azzes handed to them lately and Bama has some of the same type players.

With JGs limitations, they tend to lay their ears back and go for it. Also, he's so easy to time after a couple of series. His snap count is so obvious and telling, they have a 2 step jump. Not saying they can't be better, but, a QB will help. Not a clipboard holder.

With JGs limitations, they tend to lay their ears back and go for it. Also, he's so easy to time after a couple of series. His snap count is so obvious and telling, they have a 2 step jump. Not saying they can't be better, but, a QB will help. Not a clipboard holder.
UGA and UK both got really good jumps a lot of times. He's definitely doing something everyone has film on now.

Earlier Pruitt also said Maurer isn’t playing because he doesn’t know the playbook. Just to be clear, Pruitt wants us to believe a guy who started 4 games last year in the same offense, doesn’t know the playbook a year later. Pruitt is Butch 2.0, he thinks he’s the smartest person in the room and hates it when people question anything he does.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The "glimmer of hope" comes when JG is no longer the starting QB. Love his toughness, but he's just not an SEC QB. Never has been, never will be.

That being said, I'd start him against Bama. It's going to be a beatdown anyway at this point, so with the other QB's not having had adequate time to prepare, might as well let JG...and Pruitt...prove what many of us have known for some time now. Not my dragon, not my fight.

I expect that we will see at least one of the other QB's against Bama, even be it in garbage time, or after JG does what he does so well against quality opponents. I wouldn't put any stock in anything we see from the other QB's in this game, good or bad. This game is over before it starts.

We're 2-3 after Bama. We have two weeks to get ready for the last 5 games. UT's 2020 season actually starts against Arkansas on November 7th. UT will be 2-3 with 5 to play. If the Vols can finish the season 5-5 or better, and make a bowl, then it will be because we have found a QB (or two) with promise for the future, and we should be in decent shape heading into the 2021 season.

At this point, it's all about how UT finishes. If JG is part of that finish, then we are way behind the curve heading into the 2021 season.

Go Vols.

The glimmer of hope is that we can’t play any worse than we did against Kentucky. I don’t have confidence in any of our QBs, so I’m not going to get my hopes up.

Reactions: VolFanNC09

VN Store

Back