Give Dooley a grade...

To me when you give him a grade what has to be considered is what was on his plate given the timing of the hire up against NSD.......

Ability to calm the fan base - A+
Restoring class to the program - A+
Salvaging recruiting class - A+
Attracting additional recruits - A+
Keeping the best Coaches - A+
Hiring new Coaches - Incomplete but well on his way to an A on this

Wonder what he did in his spare time over the past few weeks.......

Last edited:
C

This is a rather average class, based on where we've been, where our rivals are, and where we need to be. Sure, Dooley had a limited amount of time, but he also benefited from the work Kiffin's staff had already put into it.

Now, if he says in his press conference that he recognizes that this isn't as good a recruiting class as is expected here and that they'll do alot better with more time next year (like Kiffin said last year), then it will show me that at least he "gets it" and I'll give him enough bonus points to move the grade up to a B-.

B

Plus:
Disaster was prevented. Class was kept intact considering coaching change. Some great news at the end.

Minus:
I understand that we have more needs on certain positions than others. I also understand that we kind of scrambled toward the end to fill in some of the slots.
But I don't like the fat tail representing 2-3 star players on our commitment list. Things will get better next year, and we should only go after the best players in the country.

I'm giving him an A+ just for doing such a good job scraping all the crap off his shoes that he stepped into when he took this job.

A-

I know he couldn't really help it but JC Copeland is what keeps him from getting an A in my book...along with losing 2 mediocre linebackers..

A He would get an A+ if he would have saved a scholly or 2 for DT position instead of Sapp and Crump. I am hoping I get proved wrong

Awesome job

A+ I would have to agree with this, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt because of the late hiring of a DC and DL coach. I would rather have top coaches that can coach up 2 star players than 4/5 star players with no good coaching.
The old "small school/no big names" for coaches myth has been busted as well. It is obvious that Dooley and co. can recruit with the best of them.
I think really good times are just around the corner. Give him a year on the field and another recruiting class before you start judging him though.

C

This is a rather average class, based on where we've been, where our rivals are, and where we need to be. Sure, Dooley had a limited amount of time, but he also benefited from the work Kiffin's staff had already put into it.

Now, if he says in his press conference that he recognizes that this isn't as good a recruiting class as is expected here and that they'll do alot better with more time next year (like Kiffin said last year), then it will show me that at least he "gets it" and I'll give him enough bonus points to move the grade up to a B-.

Dude you keep posting idiotic things without having a clue what you're talking about. Check the Rivals ratings before you say stupid things. Jeez...

C

Inspector Clouseau -- #8 is a C? We may be 2-3 players better than we are right now if we had had smoother sailing coaching wise. Double D did a spectacular job.

Given the circumstances, this guy gets an A++ this year.

Definitely a solid A. He did an excellent job. Let's not forget to give credit to Cheney and Thompson as well. They really held this class together.

I'll give him an A-

We lost some players at some key positions ,but this is not all Dooley's fault. I can't wait to see what kind of class Dooley can put together next year.

C

How? Kiffin wasn't selling Tennessee; he was selling "NFL coaching" and, to defensive players at least, the chance to play for Monte Kiffin. When he skipped town all that evaporated. For our recruits, that must have been like getting engaged to a gorgeous chick, and then having her show up three days before the wedding having cut all her hair off and gotten a massive breast reduction. I'm stunned as many of our recruits stuck with us as they did.

Think back to what everybody assumed was going to happen to this class the day after Kiffin left, and look where it ended up today. I don't see how Dooley can get anything other than an A for holding it together. My only possible gripe is that the DC/DL positions both hung open too long, possibly costing us Copeland and other DL players, but since I don't have any idea what was going on behind the scenes, I won't yell about it too hard. Nice job by Dooley and the staff to avoid disaster.

Dude you keep posting idiotic things without having a clue what you're talking about. Check the Rivals ratings before you say stupid things. Jeez...

Gee, I didn't realize that Rivals was the ultimate authority. Most people have us in the 10-15 area. On average, we're just outside the top ten. That's decent, but when 2 of your rivals are in the top 3 and even Auburn is top 5, what it means is that this year is another step back.

I give Dooley credit for salvaging what he did in the time he had, but I think that he ought to acknowledge that another year of finishing around #10 in the rankings probably isn't going to cut it here, and they really need to step it up next year if we are going to have any hope of actually competing for championships.

VN Store

Back