Getting QBs ready is an inexact science

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
Peterman outperformed Worley in practice and got the infamous start at the Swamp.

Butch didn’t want to play Dobbs because he wasn’t a great practice player. But only Condrege was better with a broken play. Butch won only 1 SEC game with someone other than Dobbs.

JG looks like a stud in 7 on 7. But no one freezes out there like him when he has to figure it out.

Point being practice gives coaches a bad sense of who can play. Bailey needs to be eased into the lineup this week, and starting at Arkansas.

It is an inexact science, but your game plan can protect them. For instance, short throws, screens, etc... They need to call a better game next week and not have the QB holding the ball. 1-2 reads and get rid of it. That is it....

I would prefer to see Bailey start and learn on the job. I understand giving Shrout a chance, but either way, just limit the play book and limit the reads.

It is an inexact science, but your game plan can protect them. For instance, short throws, screens, etc... They need to call a better game next week and not have the QB holding the ball. 1-2 reads and get rid of it. That is it....

I would prefer to see Bailey start and learn on the job. I understand giving Shrout a chance, but either way, just limit the play book and limit the reads.
Shrout's first and only throw was a dumb call by chaney. Deep in your territory and it was basically a 5 step.

Last edited:
Bailey had a good 50/50 pass for a completion. A dump pass that was dropped. A ball that should have been intercepted and one out the back of the end zone. I hope he is Manning 2.0 but we have to give him time and understand it’s going to be next year at the earliest.

I agree. Other teams eat our lunch with the short slant over the middle, yet we never throw it. It's hard to stop that short of a 5-6 yard gain. Might want to PA pass ocassionally, and even a designed QB run just to keep the defense honest.

It's such a hard science that teams every year find success with first time starters, freshmen. Being stubborn and refusing to admit that your QB has a low ceiling is the problem more times than not at failing universities. Keep casting that green beetle spin catching nothing while everyone else changed to the yellow and catch all the fish. Both are dumb and a waste of time.

It's such a hard science that teams every year find success with first time starters, freshmen. Being stubborn and refusing to admit that your QB has a low ceiling is the problem more times than not at failing universities. Keep casting that green beetle spin catching nothing while everyone else changed to the yellow and catch all the fish. Both are dumb and a waste of time.
We need to overrecruit the position until everyone transfers because we have a stud. That includes grad transfers and Jucos.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
Coaches that are most successful with this allow there to be an open competition. Whomever they go with typically is on a relatively short leash until someone unquestionably wins the job. We’ve never had any of that with JG. There’s never been a competition and he’s never locked down the job. So bizarre that Pruitt has been unwilling to allow others to compete for the job. Just typing that is shocking. In his entire tenure he’s never really allowed any player but JG to be the starter. Wow. That one fact alone brings into question this mans ability to make Hugh quality decisions for our program.

That's part of the issue. If the first read isn't open, it's a disaster when the QB stares down the first option and then throws it up for grabs or waits and gets hit and fumbles.

I agree. Other teams eat our lunch with the short slant over the middle, yet we never throw it. It's hard to stop that short of a 5-6 yard gain. Might want to PA pass ocassionally, and even a designed QB run just to keep the defense honest.

I don't know who is more overrated, Ansley or Chaney. Both seem to have trouble making adequate adjustments. Are the LB's just so incompetent they can't pick up on the slants? These short passes
have killed us for 4 weeks straight.

I'm not buying all this they're not ready talk. You know maybe they aren't ready to compete at the SEC championship yet but surely we should have had someone better to compete against Kentucky. Every other school can bring someone in and have the serviceable by season start, and its like we start from ground zero every season even with returning players. The BS being fed about Maurer not being ready cause he's missed practice time. As far as I know they eat, sleep, and breath football, so its not like dude went hiking in the damn Swiss Alps all summer long. Surely his football intelligence doesn't stop and erase at the end of each season then start learning and retaining again in fall camp.

I'm not buying all this they're not ready talk. You know maybe they aren't ready to compete at the SEC championship yet but surely we should have had someone better to compete against Kentucky. Every other school can bring someone in and have the serviceable by season start, and its like we start from ground zero every season even with returning players. The BS being fed about Maurer not being ready cause he's missed practice time. As far as I know they eat, sleep, and breath football, so its not like dude went hiking in the damn Swiss Alps all summer long. Surely his football intelligence doesn't stop and erase at the end of each season then start learning and retaining again in fall camp.
You would think, wouldn't you? Baffles me too.

Bailey had a good 50/50 pass for a completion. A dump pass that was dropped. A ball that should have been intercepted and one out the back of the end zone. I hope he is Manning 2.0 but we have to give him time and understand it’s going to be next year at the earliest.
He ran a high school offense. Pretty obvious he doesn't know the plays. They had him throw to a 1 wr side fade everytime with no read. Then the check down.

Kiffin's game plan for Crompton is a good example. Give him half the field to throw to. If those receivers aren't open, throw it 6 rows up in the stands.

Kiffin's game plan for Crompton is a good example. Give him half the field to throw to. If those receivers aren't open, throw it 6 rows up in the stands.
Chaney was involved with that, as well as true Freshman Bray. I think the problem is that JG is the pupil.

Well, we're getting a new D line coach so that should help

VN Store

Back