Gerald Mincey to the portal

It's pretty late in the game to pin money grubbing on the players. Why are the conferences realigning and consolidating? Money. What did Gundy do to Oklahoma State a time or two? Threaten to leave or get paid.

Are the players being motivated by money? Some are. Yep. They're just the last ones in the game to start reaching for dollars though.

And even then, no one thinks major colleges weren't compensating elite players forever. It's been a money to play game in big-time college football and basketball even longer than the schools have made big TV money.

I'm not sure what "innocence" in big-time college football and basketball you're looking for but it's probably not existed in your lifetime.
Did you kill Bambi's momma?

Not worried. Mincey has problems with consistency and availability. I appreciate him giving his all for Tennessee while he was here, but this gives us a chance to get or develop someone that we can rely on for the whole season.

Reactions: Native Orange
We may have to wait until April to find out
Exactly, it’s a L whether we like it or not. Whether it be starting or at depth it’s not good either way. Everyone trying to play the “over recruited or we’re better off” card with each and every player leaving is delusional. This is the future with NIL unfortunately.

Exactly, it’s a L whether we like it or not. Whether it be starting or at depth it’s not good either way. Everyone trying to play the “over recruited or we’re better off” card with each and every player leaving is delusional. This is the future with NIL unfortunately.

Another one of your knee jerk reactions.

Priceless.

If a player wants to go play somewhere else, I hope he does. I want people here who are all in on being here.

If a player wants to advocate for their own worth, I hope he does. I wouldn’t condemn anyone at their job for lobbying for a raise.

But NIL? I would absolutely schedule required NIL appearances that were highly difficult to fulfill for someone who left to go somewhere else to play, but easy for someone in K-town. And if you can’t or don’t make them, your contract is null and void and you don’t get paid. Paying up front for service to be rendered later is typically not a great idea.

Reactions: 77' Vol
Players have to play the NIL game now but there's always a good player waiting to take their place. Mincey a solid SEC tackle but he had way too many penalties. Best of luck to him whatever route he chooses.

Yeah, I don't understand this one either.

There are only so many slots to go around at a P5 (or P4, P3, whatever we have now).

Some of these guys thinking they are gonna enter the portal and grab a bag are gonna end up at Sam Houston State with a $200 NIL deal from Bubbas Bait Shop.

Not like playing time is a factor for Mincey. Continually jumping ship trying to get an extra $10k and having to learn a new system, etc-just not worth it.
Agreed.

I feel so sorry for some of these kids.
This dude watched Darnell Wright blossom into a Top 10 pick. Yet, he doesn't have the drive to even try to approach that.

No guidance or real mentorship is the reason this crap happens.

Just work harder and use that God given talent to make a brighter future for yourself

The VFL comments are funny to me. He has a degree from the university and played several years for the team. Many of our beloved Vols are working at other schools as we speak. Was CP even on campus a full calendar year?

Reactions: kingkisses
The VFL comments are funny to me. He has a degree from the university and played several years for the team. Many of our beloved Vols are working at other schools as we speak. Was CP even on campus a full calendar year?
CP was a juco transfer who left TN for the NFL. Not the same.

Reactions: tbh
His NFL draft grade must have been better than he thought initially.

His contribution will be missed in the form of not having a guy that can fill in at multiple positions along the O Line.
Was he the best at any one position? Probably not, but could play any position along the line if needed.

I can't figure this one out no matter what angle I take.

If we were recruiting over him, why did the Vol Club seemingly take care of him 2 weeks ago? Surely, our left hand knows what the right hand is doing?

If we're not recruiting over him and he just posted he was good and thanked our collective 2 weeks ago, why hit the portal? It's really unlikely that looks good to any other collective: "I'm fine. Thanks for everything." 2 weeks later: "I'm in the portal."

I have a wild theory. Did Baron perhaps know the figure on Mincey's recent Vol Club deal, then get to Ole Miss and find out "they got O Line guys up in here getting quite a bit more than my boy GM. I'm gonna put the word in his ear that he's not being respected." Basically, did Mincey find out he's not getting what the SEC market value is for O Linemen even after his new Vol Club deal?

And before people get fired up about that last part, whether it sucks or not..... and it sucks..... this is where we are. As with any competitive environment or battlefield or personal situation, you deal with where you are, not where you think you deserve to be. Bitching that it shouldn't be this way is useless.

Reactions: IndianaVol
It looks like Bennett Warren would have kept Mincey off the field if he had stayed.

I wish Gerald well. He has done a fine job of looking out for himself over his college career. It didn't work at Florida, so he came here. He knows he needs to start somewhere to have a decent chance of being drafted. Unfortunately for him that place wasn't going to be Tennessee. I hope he continues to develop and can earn a living playing football if he so desires.

VN Store

Back