Georgia WR's

I should have blue fonted that.

Fromm gets talked up enough by draft guys to warrant an invite. I really wish they had done him like tua on UGA pro days and done a height and a couple drills.
My bad then .. I'm tired and my sarcasm meter is a bit broken I guess.

Great convo and debate Smokey

I don't think it was that they couldn't .. I think they kept it in house to keep the continuity going. With the recruiting they are doing and the talent already there (and from an OCs standpoint, the OL with Pittman running the show) I would never believe that they couldn't find a quality coordinator at both spots. Do they really want to bring in a different offense with an upperclassmen QB? Probably not. And Lanning and Schumann were both soon to be DCs somewhere. Lanning is the DC with Schumann taking the co-DC title and has risen quickly through the ranks as he was considered a bit of a prodigy at Bama.
And yet the new OC claims to want to open up the passing game in interviews, talks about what he will do differently etc.. I assume that's just lip service to Dawg fans since UGA really doesn't have the WRs for that ( like how I brought it back to the original theme of the post).

Seriously they interviewed UKs OC and were turned down. Kirby is getting a reputation as not a guy folks want to coach for. It isn't normal to lose both OC and DC and not be able to replace either. And if promoting from within was the plan why did it take so long to make the announcement?

Here is Dawgnations take on that
The opinion is much more split when it comes to Fromm’s NFL trajectory. Some have noted how much he does for Georgia in terms of pre-snap adjustments, as well as leadership qualities. Fromm also did play very well against a loaded Alabama defense in the 2018 SEC Championship Game. But others have questions about some of his physical attributes. And 2020 figures to be a loaded quarterback class, with the likes of Tagovailoa, Oregon’s Justin Herbert, and Washington’s Jacob Eason all being draft eligible quarterbacks. Last season, Fromm threw for 30 touchdowns compared to just 6 interceptions. Like Thomas, Fromm has started all but one game in his first two years at Georgia.

The syposium is more of a meet and greet held by the NCAA and has no ties to the NFL. Fromm was likely there to support Thomas a surefire 1st rounder.
You just lost any credibility with that last statement. I guess some NFL team will draft him to do the same, be a cheerleader. TD has proven you wrong multiple times ITT yet you keep coming back for more punishment. It’s ok to have an opinion, but you are reaching bad....

On Chaney, the OC is the most scrutinized position coach in football, every fan base. They’re never the most popular coach. He ran the offense Kirby wanted, he had free reign within the game plan. My only complaint was in the RZ, he would pass more than run, way more. Why would anyone do that with that OL and RBs. Play to your strengths, no reason to get cute in your play calling in the RZ. UGA was 116th.

And yet the new OC claims to want to open up the passing game in interviews, talks about what he will do differently etc.. I assume that's just lip service to Dawg fans since UGA really doesn't have the WRs for that ( like how I brought it back to the original theme of the post).

Seriously they interviewed UKs OC and were turned down. Kirby is getting a reputation as not a guy folks want to coach for. It isn't normal to lose both OC and DC and not be able to replace either. And if promoting from within was the plan why did it take so long to make the announcement?
Wrong, Eddie was offered a position on staff, not the OC. Coley was prompted last year to Co-OC, everyone knew they would take the Co off his title. Gran’s position was given to Todd Hartley. The TE position was open, that’s it. QB Coach was taken from Chaney and he was placed as TE coach. If I’m Chaney, I’m leaving too, give someone my same title and my position group.

You just lost any credibility with that last statement. I guess some NFL team will draft him to do the same, be a cheerleader. TD has proven you wrong multiple times ITT yet you keep coming back for more punishment. It’s ok to have an opinion, but you are reaching bad....

On Chaney, the OC is the most scrutinized position coach in football, every fan base. They’re never the most popular coach. He ran the offense Kirby wanted, he had free reign within the game plan. My only complaint was in the RZ, he would pass more than run, way more. Why would anyone do that with that OL and RBs. Play to your strengths, no reason to get cute in your play calling in the RZ. UGA was 116th.

UGA could run or pass in the redzone. They lacked the big body WR to go up and get those 50/50 balls and it was too hard to run when the D is that compressed. Recruiting those small fast WRs (slot guys) did not help at all in close. Not having a TE that can work in traffic showed too.

UGA could run or pass in the redzone. They lacked the big body WR to go up and get those 50/50 balls and it was too hard to run when the D is that compressed. Recruiting those small fast WRs (slot guys) did not help at all in close. Not having a TE that can work in traffic showed too.
That's fixed now too with Landers, Cager and Pickens in the mix .. all are big bodies with the ability to get up and get the ball

Wrong, Eddie was offered a position on staff, not the OC. Coley was prompted last year to Co-OC, everyone knew they would take the Co off his title. Gran’s position was given to Todd Hartley. The TE position was open, that’s it. QB Coach was taken from Chaney and he was placed as TE coach. If I’m Chaney, I’m leaving too, give someone my same title and my position group.

Eddie said he was interviewed for the OC gig. No reason not to believe him as it was the only offensive spot open he would want. UGA just didn't want to pay the man or give him control so he stayed at UK. UGA fans just don't want to believe that coaches are not interested in them.

But UGA has always been cheap. That why it took a decade to get an indoor practice facility. They were not prepared to replace either coordinator and went cheap with internal hires.

Eddie said he was interviewed for the OC gig. No reason not to believe him as it was the only offensive spot open he would want. UGA just didn't want to pay the man or give him control so he stayed at UK. UGA fans just don't want to believe that coaches are not interested in them.

But UGA has always been cheap. That why it took a decade to get an indoor practice facility. They were not prepared to replace either coordinator and went cheap with internal hires.

Georgia denies that Gran was offered offensive coordinator job

Eddie seems to have used that "offer" as leverage

It's also clear that Coley was always the lead candidate to replace Chaney .. again, its about continuity

Georgia denies that Gran was offered offensive coordinator job

Eddie seems to have used that "offer" as leverage

It's also clear that Coley was always the lead candidate to replace Chaney .. again, its about continuity
Of course UGA denied it. Why would they just announce they got snubbed by a coach at a significantly lesser program. So either UGA lied, and at the time they were interested in hiring an OC because Chaney had just bailed on them. Or Eddie was looking at moving backwards to be part of a staff that was still missing an OC. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. UGA is trying to save face. They lost out on Enos, missed with the 2nd guy, were already whiffing on DCs and quickly promoted Coley on the cheap. By that point Tucker had left a month before and UGA had already whiffed on 4 or 5 DC guys. It took 2 months for UGA to give up on hiring a DC and just awarding the job on the cheap.

Believe me when I tell you no school wants to look like they are being turned down, as a Vol fan that despised our last AD I am familiar with what it looks like. I do find it amusing that 2 of UGAs top picks for DC chose UT over UGA. UGA fans were not inspired by either of UGAs coordinator hires and the threads are still readily available. Take a refresher down memory lane to the Dec through Feb coaching search threads on any UGA forum.

Of course UGA denied it. Why would they just announce they got snubbed by a coach at a significantly lesser program. So either UGA lied, and at the time they were interested in hiring an OC because Chaney had just bailed on them. Or Eddie was looking at moving backwards to be part of a staff that was still missing an OC. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. UGA is trying to save face. They lost out on Enos, missed with the 2nd guy, were already whiffing on DCs and quickly promoted Coley on the cheap. By that point Tucker had left a month before and UGA had already whiffed on 4 or 5 DC guys. It took 2 months for UGA to give up on hiring a DC and just awarding the job on the cheap.

Believe me when I tell you no school wants to look like they are being turned down, as a Vol fan that despised our last AD I am familiar with what it looks like. I do find it amusing that 2 of UGAs top picks for DC chose UT over UGA. UGA fans were not inspired by either of UGAs coordinator hires and the threads are still readily available. Take a refresher down memory lane to the Dec through Feb coaching search threads on any UGA forum.
Or Gran didn't want to take the step back but wanted to leverage something out of it from his current situation. Guarantee if Gran was offered, Gran would have accepted. He would have had a chance to recruit in Florida which he loves to do and to run one of the top rushing attack offenses in the country which is his current MO.

Here is a post from a UK site but the comments from UK fans seem to line up with what I am saying

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/why-eddie-gran-turned-down-georgia-to-stay-at-uk/

Last edited:

Just for the record, I screenshot this and you made a lot of people (people that are in UGA’s building) laugh today, so thanks for that. I’m still laughing. For future reference I’ll share some friendly advice, agents, agents, agents. Any phone call to any of their client about anything, they will leverage that for their clients’ advantage (or the good ones do). Do you think 15 coaches were offered the TN job, the actual job? Of course not.

I do wish they would have kicked the tires on Enos, big fan of his. Totally agree UGA WAS cheap, our OL coach now makes more than most coordinators. Kirby now gets what he wants financially.

Georgia didn't offer Kentucky coach coordinator job, position coach duties were discussed

Just for the record, I screenshot this and you made a lot of people (people that are in UGA’s building) laugh today, so thanks for that. I’m still laughing. For future reference I’ll share some friendly advice, agents, agents, agents. Any phone call to any of their client about anything, they will leverage that for their clients’ advantage (or the good ones do). Do you think 15 coaches were offered the TN job, the actual job? Of course not.

I do wish they would have kicked the tires on Enos, big fan of his. Totally agree UGA WAS cheap, our OL coach now makes more than most coordinators. Kirby now gets what he wants financially.

Georgia didn't offer Kentucky coach coordinator job, position coach duties were discussed

Of course you did. Just another random "super insider" idiot running out of excuses as to why UGA wouldnt open the check book and attract actual coaching talent to get over the hump.

The longer the coordinator jobs went unfilled the worse it looked the more desperate the media played the story. Not a single UGA fan, professor, administrators (I know a few, went to school with a couple highschool and college) were impressed or happy with either coordinator hire. Most did the whole "Kirby learned from Saban and nobody likes Sabans style or personality" tripe.

Or Gran didn't want to take the step back but wanted to leverage something out of it from his current situation. Guarantee if Gran was offered, Gran would have accepted. He would have had a chance to recruit in Florida which he loves to do and to run one of the top rushing attack offenses in the country which is his current MO.

Here is a post from a UK site but the comments from UK fans seem to line up with what I am saying

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/why-eddie-gran-turned-down-georgia-to-stay-at-uk/

The comments section are more in line with expectations. But that's neither here nor there.

Gran was already making 150,000 a year more than Coley makes today. It would make zero sense for him to seriously interview for a 250,000 to 300,000 position coach gig when he was already making 650,000 a year. And the day after he said no they announce Coley? I'm sorry dude but it just doesn't add up. I just cant wrap my mind around why Gran would sit down and honestly talk about taking both a pay cut and a downward career path at UGA after UK has a once a century season. I wouldn't understand it regardless of who the school interviewing him was. It just doesn't flow like an honest answer. Leverage would have been that 10 win season more than stepping down to be a position coach.

It's nice to have an honest respectful conversation with a UGA fan. It almost makes up for the child posters that try to puff up their internet cred. Tshirt wannabe fans exist on all sports forums I guess.

Of course you did. Just another random "super insider" idiot running out of excuses as to why UGA wouldnt open the check book and attract actual coaching talent to get over the hump.

The longer the coordinator jobs went unfilled the worse it looked the more desperate the media played the story. Not a single UGA fan, professor, administrators (I know a few, went to school with a couple highschool and college) were impressed or happy with either coordinator hire. Most did the whole "Kirby learned from Saban and nobody likes Sabans style or personality" tripe.
Most weren’t thrilled with the Chaney or Tucker hires either. There isn’t many ‘big name’ hires as coordinators bc most of them eventually become HCs or at least given a shot as HC somewhere, few career coordinators like Chaney or Big Chief.

Most weren’t thrilled with the Chaney or Tucker hires either. There isn’t many ‘big name’ hires as coordinators bc most of them eventually become HCs or at least given a shot as HC somewhere, few career coordinators like Chaney or Big Chief.
Chaney had a proven record in college and the NFL and benefited greatly from going to Arky to reinvent himself. Tucker was also a guy with NFL DC and college DC experience. Also a known commodity with ties to great Ds.

Compare that to Dan Lanning has never been a DC and other than a year at UGA was a at tiger high (Memphis) a couple of years. A complete unknown that has never been responsible for a D at any level. His resume highlight is that he was a GA at Bama.

Coley has 3 men years under his belt as an OC at least with Miami. He's at UGA because CMR opted not to retain him. He is basically an unknown as a coach.

Both should honestly be learning their trade for the next 4-5 years before being coordinators at P5 programs a year removed from a national championship game. I cant fathom anyone believing that both are significant downgrades over Chaney and Tucker. I will be shocked Smart doesnt bring Bobo in next offseason after he is let go from CSU. At least on the D side Kirby can just dictate and teach Lanning how to do the job.

Chaney had a proven record in college and the NFL and benefited greatly from going to Arky to reinvent himself. Tucker was also a guy with NFL DC and college DC experience. Also a known commodity with ties to great Ds.

Compare that to Dan Lanning has never been a DC and other than a year at UGA was a at tiger high (Memphis) a couple of years. A complete unknown that has never been responsible for a D at any level. His resume highlight is that he was a GA at Bama.

Coley has 3 men years under his belt as an OC at least with Miami. He's at UGA because CMR opted not to retain him. He is basically an unknown as a coach.

Both should honestly be learning their trade for the next 4-5 years before being coordinators at P5 programs a year removed from a national championship game. I cant fathom anyone believing that both are significant downgrades over Chaney and Tucker. I will be shocked Smart doesnt bring Bobo in next offseason after he is let go from CSU. At least on the D side Kirby can just dictate and teach Lanning how to do the job.
Career wise, Coleys PPG is slightly higher than Chaney’s but Chaney I will agree is a known commodity. Smart’s first choice was Enos and Bielema wouldn’t allow him to interview bc he signed a noncompete and Pittman put Chaney’s name in the hat. Chaney can also adjust, like I said, my only complaint was in the RZ. Coley was also FSU’s OC, but I think that was in name only which brings me to Lanning. Think Kirby’s hands will be all over the defensive play calling. Lanning’s rise is similar in path to Pruitts, although more compressed. No, I’m not comparing the two as coaches, just the path taken. Would have loved Corey Raymond to come over, but is he a DC? I do think he is the best CB coach, at least recruiting wise.

Career wise, Coleys PPG is slightly higher than Chaney’s but Chaney I will agree is a known commodity. Smart’s first choice was Enos and Bielema wouldn’t allow him to interview bc he signed a noncompete and Pittman put Chaney’s name in the hat. Chaney can also adjust, like I said, my only complaint was in the RZ. Coley was also FSU’s OC, but I think that was in name only which brings me to Lanning. Think Kirby’s hands will be all over the defensive play calling. Lanning’s rise is similar in path to Pruitts, although more compressed. No, I’m not comparing the two as coaches, just the path taken. Would have loved Corey Raymond to come over, but is he a DC? I do think he is the best CB coach, at least recruiting wise.

Sample size on Coley make the stat irrelevant. But everyone as to start somewhere. I was just a bit surprised since he has zero ties to UGA or Smart. The hire just looks odd.

Sample size on Coley make the stat irrelevant. But everyone as to start somewhere. I was just a bit surprised since he has zero ties to UGA or Smart. The hire just looks odd.
Think Coley was originally hired for his recruiting prowess in South Florida. He’s a monster on the trail, we will see about being the OC, just need him to keep it in the road and not run it into the ditch this year, think will know more how good (or not) after Fromm leaves.

Think Coley was originally hired for his recruiting prowess in South Florida. He’s a monster on the trail, we will see about being the OC, just need him to keep it in the road and not run it into the ditch this year, think will know more how good (or not) after Fromm leaves.
I honestly dont see Coley there after this year. I think he is just a placeholder til they can get someone they want. It was just asking too much to try to replace both coordinators at the same time.

He is a very good recruiter but the program deserves an actual OC that can get UGA over the hump

We've seen a lot of kids Richt recruited and coached make it to the NFL. So far most of the kids Smart has coached that made it to the NFL are Richt's! Going to get interesting in the next few years if Kirby can't put a lot of those 5 stars in the league.

We've seen a lot of kids Richt recruited and coached make it to the NFL. So far most of the kids Smart has coached that made it to the NFL are Richt's! Going to get interesting in the next few years if Kirby can't put a lot of those 5 stars in the league.

I was worried that Smart wasn't going to continue CMRs trend of at least 5 offseason arrests every year. This year made more comfortable with him.

Umm, just making a small observation, there is a reason most of the players that have went to the NFL are Richt players, the guys Smart recruited aren’t old enough to get drafted, you have to be 3 years removed from HS (Jr/Rso) to be eligible for the draft. His first class are juniors this year, I’d say they will do ok when draft time comes.

Umm, just making a small observation, there is a reason most of the players that have went to the NFL are Richt players, the guys Smart recruited aren’t old enough to get drafted, you have to be 3 years removed from HS (Jr/Rso) to be eligible for the draft. His first class are juniors this year, I’d say they will do ok when draft time comes.

IF Fromm comes out, you're looking at the possibility of Fromm, Thomas, Swift, Reed, MAYBE Wilson, MAYBE Kindley and MAYBE Lecounte. Technically, when Hardman, Ridley, Holyfield and Wims got drafted (Wims being last years draft) they were part of the first Smart class as he had to work on it prior to the bowl season being over during that cycle.

lol wonder why that is? It’s almost like kirby’s recruits weren’t able leave for the nfl until now. Given the development of Roquan Smith and Deandre Baker, it seems Smart is fine with player development. Neither started until Smart arrived, then Smith won the Butkus award and Baker the Thorpe.

VN Store

Back